Thoughts about PrevX

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Templar, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Templar

Templar Registered Member

Hello..

After catching up on Prevx it seems to be a truly remarkle piece of software and way ahead of the pack in terms of behavior based analysis.

From several review I got the impression that it does indeed provide enough protection to be run as a stand alone real time AV/Malware shield.

Any one here running it as a stand alone?

Simon

2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I don't want to speak for the rest of the folks on here but..... I think the majority of people enjoy a layered defense scheme. I know that a few folks have prevx and defensewall only. I don't believe I've ever seen just using prevx. At the very least you might want to use a on demand scanner like hitman, a-squared or malwarebytes. Sometimes things are missed and you might not know it with putting all your "eggs" in one basket.

3. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

4. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Or you can go to the "What security are you using now" thread

5. Zetelo

Zetelo Registered Member

I am using PrevX as a standalone solution, and I'm very satisfied with its abilities. It has recognized all threats until now and runs smoothly. :D

6. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I've been using PrevX for a few months now along with SafeOnline. I've been using this on my main rig along with AppGuard. So far they get along fine and PrevX's support is generally very responsive (as is Appguards). As mentioned before Prevx is probably good enoough to run alone but I added a second layer for peace of mind since my wife does her banking online. However, I have not seen a well conducted and accurate test of PrevX (or any cloud app for that matter) and my opinion is based exclusively on my own experience...so far I'm pleased. :)

7. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

I've uinstalled PrevX...way to many FP's, for my taste.
    AVIRA is enough for me ;)

Happy New Year, All :D

Cheers

8. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

I have used Prevx for about year now (subs. ending soon)
    With SafeOnline, I feel lot more safe :)

This is a brilliant piece of software and haven't let me down. For about 2 months now, I use CIS with AV (before that, I used only Firewall and Defense+ parts) together with Prevx.

Have had some minor FPs, but they get fixed soon after your report them.

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Worth noting that Prevx has configurable degrees of self-protection. I'm not currently running it so can't check the default, but if you're wanting to use it exclusively I would set this option to Max.

10. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I've been running Prevx along with Online Armor Premium for 1 year now without a hitch...:eek: :cool:

11. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Ya :) . Classical HIPS are powerfull, but I never would run only an HIPS to protect my system. Multi layer defense and a bit of funny paranoia. :D :D :D

12. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

True depending on the apps your running. I like no more than 2 light programs for security because most of my resources need to be available for gaming. So far no FP's with Prevx and classical HIPS simply annoy me when trying to game. The marketing departments of most vendors of security applications do a very good job promoting paranoia...it pays well.

13. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

14. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

i use prevx with safeonline as a stand-a-lone on this pc gaming machine, works fine and keeps me protected. :)

15. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

prevx is good, but ive had a recurring issue that was never able to be solved so i still cant use it...

16. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

yes, i too am currently having an issue, but ive used it for years without problems, im sure they will fix my issue swiftly.

17. firzen771

hopefully, my issue seems to be unsolvable :'(

18. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

If possible do a remote session with Joe, if he can see whats causing it you could have it fixed in no time. :D

19. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I would have absolutely no qualms about running it as a stand alone. In fact that's all I have on my Wife's and Mother's pc's for protection.

20. firzen771

i did several remote sessions and we wer never able to find out the problem and/or solution :'(

21. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

About 3 weeks ago, when avast! had a major fp problem, I felt very comfortable shutting down all avast! shields (disabling its real-time protection) because I had Prevx real-time installed and on duty. As soon as avast! got their business taken care of, yes, I put the shields back up, because I believe in layers. But that downtime without avast! wasn't cause for concern due to Prevx being onboard. :thumb:

22. Jav

Jav Guest

I tested Prevx free one (which has only detection and one should pay for removal) on my experimental system.
    I haven't even got to installing real malware.

Way too many False positives.
    First run after install, Found one Mid level Malware in system32 folder.
    Checked with HitamPro, MalwareBytes AntiMalware, NIS 2010. Uploaded to virustotal (only prevx detected it), virusscan.jotti (clean), Filterbit (clean), scanned on online sandbox (clean) and so on.

Told Prevx do next scan 6 found.. :rolleyes:
    On clean PC.

Yeah, in a way I understand developers, it is free detection one...

I strongly believe that paid one dosen't have such problems, but I am disappointed by it's free detection product.

23. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Interesting sense all the test I have done thus far with Prevx have showed different light. But then again that's where randomness falls into place we all have different experience with products. Just the way things are that's why people should always fall back on there own experience rather then let someone tell them what is best. :cool:

24. Jav

Jav Guest

Totally agree with you.
    I am not blaming Prevx, it's just my experience.

I strongly believe that developers are doing their best and that this product is doing great job for many people.

I just shared my thoughts.

Everybody should choose product according to their taste, preference and experience not some comparative tests. :cautious:

25. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Sorry, I think I may of came off wrong so ill clear it up alittle. All I was saying is how it could cause some issues on some computers and run awesome on someone Else's. It all just depends on the environment they run in and how they use there computer.

In the end personal experience should win over all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.