Thomson SpeedTouch 580i

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tepe2, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I have a modem/router dsl provided by my ISP. Thomson SpeedTouch 580i. I guess it is old. Would like to buy a new but my ISP say I have to use it. Does anyone know how secure this one is? Good as a firewall?

Configuration - anything I should pay special attention to?

For UPNP I have 3 choices: Full - Secure - Off. From what I have read here lately I would like to turn off UPNP. The problem is I have D-Link Wireless Media Player http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=387 and dont think this would work if I turn off UPNP. Any solution?

And what is the difference between Full and Secure UPNP?

2. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Re buying a model: alternative is to buy an accesspoint yourself and hook it up the modem.

Re UPNP: It is unsafe and it doesn't have proper authentication. Ring up Dlink and tell them that you would like to configure your network yourself and ask them for the settings.

3. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks Huangker :)

Dont know if I want one more box, more wire and it needs power and I dont have more place to plug more into the wall. But nice to know that is an option. :)

I did not think of that. Thanks. Maybe I send them an email so I can turn off UPNP.

If anyone have more to add please do.

I cannot find anything about SPI so guess its not. Theres something about NAPT, DHCP and DNS but that doesnt tell me much because I lack the knowledge.

I know some run without a software firewall when they have a router firewall, but I prefer to run a software firewall too. Windows XP firewall for now. Would one software firewall be better than other in combo with my router? I first of all think of inbound protection, but I also consider OA free or HIPS like Prosecurity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.