This site is excellent!

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by GreyMack, Dec 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreyMack

GreyMack Registered Member

Did my first post go to heaven? I don't see it here!

2. GreyMack

GreyMack Registered Member

A Blind Man Directing Traffic On A Lonely But Crowded Stretch Of The Supermation Infohighway

So there I was, sitting fat, dumb, and happy (well, not really happy) in front of my WinTel PC thinking: I'm going to review Privacy & Security issues one more time, and really get a handle on things. I've used a PC for a couple of years now, and it continues to be quite a learning curve. (I've been all over the net and spent hundreds? of hours and many late nights on these issues.)

This time I started with the Wilders.org site, and really appreciated the comprehensive layout of the Security tab with discussions of the hardware, software, e-mail, and internet issues. But my next stop, at the Anti-Virus tab, gave me quite a start when I realized that my Norton wasn't listed for review of the "best/most common". Have I missed quite a bit here? I'm sure it must be fairly common, and I'm a big fan of expert reviews over polls and user comments. Will you consider adding it, and maybe give it to me in a nutshell here?

A Rant Aside
    I'm just an average user with little to protect other than what's left of my sanity. I had no idea that it would reqiure so much time and effort to comprehend the array of the measures necessary to assure personal privacy and security. (Who stuck that Kick Me sign on my back?) From the questions I have seen on other forums, it appears that a large portion of the problems posted are a result of malware finding it's way onto an unsophisticated user's machine. As a relatively new user, I can assure you that it's hard to see the forest for the trees. The uneducated masses are likely the largest growing segment of internet users, and even those that know they need anti-virus and firewall programs don't realize the magnitude of privacy and security issues beyond. We need help now at the OS and OEM level, 'cause little Johnny ain't gonna spend Christmas tracking down the Wilders.org site, and Aunt Gertie ain't gonna understand any of it in this lifetime, even if she finds it. We need MS to turn off UPnP, and OEM's and vendors to provide at least a modicum of security set-up and user guidance. Wilders.org is a great site, but it was months before I discovered it, and even longer before I appreciated the clarity and comprehensiveness of the site. Those less determined than I might never realize the benefit, though I'm certain many need and sincerely desire the security and privacy provided. Someone needs to step in and apply the information garnered here for those who get so overwhelmed with trying to get things to work that they never even get around to running Windows Update. (My understanding is that it was both business and home users that didn't get the update to prevent the recent blaster worm.) The maxim for these users is simple: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You've tried optomizing or preventive maintenance before, and you remember how much fun it was loosing you data and trying to reload the operating system before giving up and letting the neighbor kid or the local PC shop fix it. Even my Dell tech support will recommend reloading the OS before ever mentioning scanning for malware beyond a standard virus scan. But I digress. Didn't I just want a quick comment on the suitaility of Norton for general purpose users? In the winter time I usually wear the warmest hat I can find, but if my pants are down around my ankles I'm not too likely to freeze my ears off and pretty much any good hat will do!

GM

3. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

Hi GreyMack and welcome to Wilders
    Nice story :D
    Dolf

4. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Hello GreyMack and another Welcome to Wilders Security Forums!

Proper defences require proper software in place. Suggested is

A good firewall (such as Outpost Firewall)

A good anti-virus program (such as NOD32)

A good anti-trojan program (such as TDS)

A good anti-worm program (such as WormGuard)

A couple of good anti-spy program (such as SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard)

A good anti-spy tool (also functions as a browser anti-hijacker program) (such as Spybot S&D)

Some of which you may know already. If you prefer other choices for the programmes then that is fine but the programmes in each categorie do something the others are not designed to do. A great anti-virus programme does not necessarily catch all trojans; a great browser protection programme most likely will not catch worms. A layered protection scheme is best to be as protected as possible. Hopefully this will not bury you in too much information. Should you have any questions or need any kind of help at all you can come here to Wilders and the folks in the know will be happy to help.

Best wishes. If you have any questions - no matter how elementary - please do not hesitate to post them here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.