This should be intresting...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by curious george, Nov 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curious george

curious george Registered Member

So, your hit with a really big drive by download. Your computer has random pop ups, rouge antispyware installed, and a bunch of error messages. Your friend asks you to clean it up, but heres the tricky part, you cant use the "common" programs (ex. MalwareBytes, Superantispyware, Avira so on and so forth) What apps would you bring to the battle field?

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I'm abit curious curious why not?

3. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Why you can't use them? They don't install, or... o_O Grab one or more of the live CDs available from major vendors to clean up the system a bit first.

4. curious george

just to see how it would be without the new products out there, and a bit of a challenge i guess. I'd also like to see some new tools.

5. Meriadoc

liveCD?

6. curious george

Those are from the "big" vendors, we cant have that. Gotta make it a challenge here...

7. Meriadoc

How's AVZ?

8. curious george

Thats not from a "big" vendor, i guess its fine. But, you'd bring only that?

9. doktornotor

Eh, like... backup the data, fdisk and reinstall? Really too old, lazy and busy for manual fixing of malware-infested systems; unless you have one specific and known infection to handle it's not worth wasting the time.

10. curious george

No, you could use programs, just no BIG AV companies. I guess HJT would be fine, but then again it was bought out by Trend Micro...but stuff like that. Something not too common.

11. doktornotor

So, you mean some 0day unknown infection, or what exactly? There are one-purpose tools for tons of malware, but you need to know what you are trying to disinfect.

12. Meriadoc

Okay, AVZ and RkU

13. curious george

Rouge antispyware programs, Rootkits, trojans, the whole sha bang.

14. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

What about little cheating :D
    here: Multi AV

15. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I was in that situation recently.

Here is what I used: DBAN :D :D :D

16. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

This subject matter is already kind of being discussed here.

17. HURST

HURST Registered Member

It's not the same. This is a hipotethical scenario where you are not allowed to use mainstream apps.

18. curious george

Exactly, its supose to be somewhat more challenging since you cannot have direct access the the biggies.

19. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Knowledge, patience, safemode, explorer, search and delete.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  20. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Ridiculous on both counts! Why would you not be "allowed" to have access to to the "biggies" or whatever is chosen? the other thread even mentions alternatives anyways. How especially does using a Live CD equate to leaning on a "Big vendor" for this scenario?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2008
  21. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Just a little fun, I you don't want to participate, then don't. As simple as that.

Now, as I said, I had such a scenario. No major AV was allowed to run. SAS couldn't even install. MBAM couldn't find the problem. So it's a valid scenario.

22. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Trojan Remover, DrWeb CureIt (safemode), Counterspy (safemode) and F-Prot

23. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Too many "Big Vendors" in that arsenal :p ...Live CD.

Seriously, I don't see how a Live CD is a big vendor. It's the obvious choice for me if I were to attempt cleaning. It's worked very well for me in the past, though nowadays I would recommend re-install O/S if important data is backed up or preferably backup image if available. It might be considered the lamers way of doing things but at least you can be certain the bugs are gone. If it's only rogue software then it's not bad using the applicable cleaning tool for cleansing.

The malware cleaners such as CastleCops and others do a most noble service - kudos to them all - helping people rid their machines of infections, but look how long it can take; one - two weeks is usually minimum for wait time after submitting hjt log, then there is the often long, painstaking cleaning process. Usually it works but not without some collateral damage to the O/S post-aftermath; some things don't work right, icons missing, context menus missing, some programs don't work right and assorted other nuisances that go with the territory. A re-image or even re-install is done within one to six hours typical.

Of course prevention is always foremost but re-imaging I feel is the ultimate recovery method from malware. Too bad it hasn't hit household mainstream yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2008
  24. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

At the end of my home user IT career my tool box was condensed to the following :

GMER
    RKU
    IceSword
    Autoruns
    RunScanner
    ProcessExplorer
    Unlocker (I used this to DOR things like temp folders and RECYCLER to ensure that they are indeed empty , windows makes new ones in case your wondering)
    HJT
    LSPFix/WinsockFix
    Dial-a-fix/xp_secconsole
    CCleaner/Cleanup!
    Sigverif (part of windows)
    A small pile of .reg and .bat files (for stuff like upper/lower filter fix)
    Virustotal/google (for the ones you are not 100% sure on killing , google VS. GUIDs is a very good way to spot malware BTW)
    VistaPE (from time to time you just cant win in a live environment)

25. curious george

To state that it is impossible to load the "biggies" is a false claim, its obvious any malware creater would target the "biggies" but in any case, i did read it somewhere as well.

http://remove-malware.com/

He talks about how he could not load up avira and SAS wouldn't work properly, but, why not be prepared for the "what if" moments?

and for nosirrah, nice set. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.