This one is great ---- and its free too

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bgoodman4, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Readability is a bookmarklet that reformats any Web article into something that resembles a printed book page, no advertisements or colored backgrounds etc, and very readable fonts.

I have been using it with Opera 9.63 for a short while and its been problem free.

Set up and use could not be simpler (it takes less than 5 seconds to set up).

To find out more (that is set it up and give it a try) go to http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability/

PS: if this has been mentioned before please provide a link to the thread.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

bgoodman4, ronjor originally posted it in this thread: Readability makes Web pages more readable, with Rmus being the only response.

Let's see if your thread brings more interested parties to comment.

JR

3. bgoodman4

Thanks for the link, ----- its a shame the posting has had such little interest. The program? really is very good at what it does --- very fast and it really makes reading items on the web a much more plesant experience.

Just thought I would mention (for those who are concerned about losing side bar links etc - links in the article formatted remain active) once you have rendered a mess of a web-page into a sane document if you want to get back to the original format all you have to do is refresh your page.

Its a real pleasure when an elegant and effective solution to a problem appears, especially when you were not even aware there was a problem until the solution was presented to you.

By the way, this tool will be especially useful for folks with moderately to somewhat sever visual problems. It will make it easy for them to be able easily read content on the net.

A very impressive little bit of code, one that I highly recommend you folks take a look at.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Way cool. Thanks.

5. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Nice little tool

In opera when I drag the Readability to the toolbar it's called javascript not readability :) ?

I guess I can just right-click it, choose properties and edit the title.

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Cool works in Linux also.

8. bgoodman4

I tried that and upon restart of Opera (or perhaps it was a Windows reboot, I can not recall now) the bookmark did not work. I had to recreate it and leave the name of the bookmarklet alone.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  9. bgoodman4

For those who have not tried this I want to mention there is nothing to install on the PC. Basically all you are doing is creating a bookmark that has the ability to reformat a web page when you click on it. You cannot get any lighter than this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.