This Is Usually Safe ???

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Spanner intheWorks, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Neither Major Geeks(MGs) nor the HPGuru site you referenced is concerned with what fonts you have. They are using what is called EOT(Embedded OpenType) fonts....either created by Microsoft's WEFT tool or other EOT-creating programs.

The code on MGs site references their use of Stencil Fonts and in the cache will be a STENCIL3.eot file if one approves the download. At HPguru's....their file found in the cache if accepted would be xfiles0.eot

HTML code of MGs site:
    @font-face {
    font-family: Stencil;
    font-style: normal;
    font-weight: normal;
    src: url(STENCIL3.eot):

Attached Files:

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

They don't NEED to install fonts....just like they don't NEED to provide the pic of that Major looking guy with the cigar hanging out of his mouth.

partial of the pop-up message:
    "This page uses fonts that need to be temprorarily installed"

If a surfer wants to see the fonts Major Geeks has made available as an added experience to their site....the user needs to let them download them to their PC. Nothing more....Nothing less. If however you wish to see it differently....then you and I can simply agree to disagree and I'll simply move on and let you continue your quest of what nefarious motives they are attempting.

3. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

Hi Spanner & Bubba, ;)

I too get those pop-up messages whenever I visit that site.
    And I always clicked "No".
    Soo, out of curiousity, I put Majorgeeks in my Restricted Sites Zone.....and they
    still come up.

What I would like to add to this is, Bubba.
    Anyone...with all what's going on with pop-ups and CO. don't you think that
    it's healthy suspisisness -(sp??), what Spanner is trying to say. I too am suspicious...though now you tried to explain with the link you provided it's a normal thing to do...? To be honest...it's all cryptic to me.
    Someone who don't know about this ~ and especially don't understand the language that is perhaps meant for 'advanced' PC users, has all the right
    to be questioning...:)

I do not care about 'special' fonts - and it's only natural to decline that
    "funny" pop-up asking to install something, especially if one doesn't know what it is and does, and surfing this website without the install, is without any problems at all.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. ~*Nat*~

Thank You ronjor.
    I guess I need a better pop-up killer.
    But you know....I don't get them very often to my surprise.

In general...this is actually just a question why the pop-up to install those fonts
    on majorgeeks and certain other sites.
    But as I understand, Bubba tried to say its safe to allow...yes?

(But I see no need in it...as I have already said...:) )

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I see no reason to install fonts from any site.

7. ~*Nat*~

There You Go ! [​IMG]

Thanks ~ again ! :)

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The default setting for the Internet and the Restricted Zone concerning Font downloads is Prompt....and if you have your settings for the Restricted Zone at default....that's why they "still come up".
    Concerning your "suspisisness -(sp??)"....We all should be cautious in our surfing....along with a Trust but Verify mentality. Also....no where in my post should it be concluded that I said it was a "normal thing to do"....but I'm sure not saying there is anything wrong with it either. The question Sp presented dealt with the Fonts that MajorGeeks wants to download if the user wishes to see those Fonts and an explanation was given.
    "If a surfer wants to see the fonts Major Geeks has made available as an added experience to their site....the user needs to let them download them to their PC. Nothing more....Nothing less." How you wish to interpret that statement is of your choosing Nat.

@Nat:
    If whats been provided is of no interest to you Nat....I suggest you skip over it. To be honest....it appears now to much info was shared....even tho IMO it answered any and all of the thread starters questions\concerns. Of course....as always....your mileage may vary.

IMO....this thread unfortunately has turned into nothing more than argumentative replys. A question was raised and a fairly resemble response was given concerning Fonts that a site needs to download if the user wishes to see them. Heck....there are even settings to disable animation and pics. Even a user sees no need in installing them....then don't install them. It's a personal choice....whether it be cute fonts or animated gifs.

9. ~*Nat*~

Bubba...if I wasn't interested, I wouldn't be in this thread. ;)

And please....do not think that it turned out "argumentive" as you typed it.
    The thing about it was only, that to be honest,I did not understand the "language" spoken in the link you kindly provided, and that some people may not
    understand the whole concept of those pop-ups.
    I know & understand that it's one's own choice to let them fonts install or not.
    But, if you read and understood my posts, perhaps you could understand
    what I really meant.

No arguing about it, oki ? :)

I truly hope I made myself understood now....or else I need more english-lessons. :p ;)

:)

10. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Bubba,

In IE Options Security I have;

'Local Intranet' - 'Trusted Sites' - 'Restricted Sites' permanently on
    'High Security', and since your last guidance I switch the only one I ever use
    'Internet' between 'High' and 'Medium' only if anything gets in the way.
    I don't appear to lose anything by those settings unless you think otherwise.

I too was getting the Major G. font pop ups and wondered, but having read
    your post I went into 'Internet' - Security - as you mentioned,the font d\l
    was set for Prompt - I changed it to Disable and returned to Major G. - no more Pop ups - Thanks Bubba.

Regards.

11. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Spanner,

It's good, but what I just noticed is that because I quite frequently toggle between High and Medium security on 'Internet', in order to D\L stuff, I shall also have to manually change the font setting from Prompt to Disable each time.
    Still I prefer to know all the will and wont's - do and dont's.

Regards.

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Your Welcome Micro....it boils done to a personal decision in respect to Major Geeks Font downloads....and contrary to what you may have read....neither MG's nor HPguru's Fonts are installed on your PC....they are simply being displayed due to a file contained in your cache.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.