This is most unusual - Since installing NOD32 my computer is running a lot faster!

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by zoril, Jun 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoril

zoril Registered Member

My one worry about NOD32 before purchasing, was if it would be a memory hog or not!

I have not only found it to be light on memory, but my computer is running a lot faster and better since buying and installing it? My computer is also far more stable now. I can't think of any logical reason why this is the case, but I am definitely very pleased about it.

Has anyone else experienced similar? My system is a very slow Windows'98SE with Pentium3(800) - 256meg ram. Crashes due to high memory usage has always been a problem in the past, but not since buying and installing NOD32...

Howard:)

2. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

Re: This is most unuusal - Since using NOD32 my computer is running a lot faster!

Where you using an AV prior to installing NOD? If so which one? I have a fairly decent machine and noticed a slight performance increase when switching from AVG free to NOD32.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Re: This is most unusual - Since installing NOD32 my computer is running a lot faster

That's been my experience also. :)

4. zoril

zoril Registered Member

I have used AVG 7.0 professional in the past. I haven't uninstalled AVG yet. Both seem to run very well together so far. I have not noticed any compatability issues yet between the two... Howard:)

5. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

Hi zoril:

One of the most significant changes in the 2.5.x series is the AMON cache. NOD32 will not scan the file again until it is changed. Freeing up the CPU for more enjoyable tasks. ;)

6. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hiya,

That is very good to know and useful.

I can honestly say that I have never installed any security application previously where this has happened re my computer performance.

I should add that I had not uninstalled any other software that might account for the difference before installing NOD32..............Howard

7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hey Howard,

(We knew eachother already from the TDS-3 forum ;))

LOL, your system is even faster than mine, with my P3-600 :eek:

I'm very glad that you're so happy with your new NOD32 ! :D

You wrote:
    A little question:
    Have you disabled the resident part of AVG ?
    In general it is not adviced to run two AV's resident (= on-access).
    Well, I have not any knowledge about AVG....

Cheers, Jan.

8. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hiya Jan:))

I also read your excellent initial installation advice page re TDS3

I haven't disabled the resident section of AVG as yet. If I experience ANY problem at all, I will do that immediately. Even the smallest compatability problem would mean that I would disable the resident protection with AVG, on the basis that it is best to only have resident scanning with one...

When I bought NOD32 the other day, I purchased a 3 year subscription re definitions etc.

...Howard:)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2005
  9. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Re: This is most unusual - Since installing NOD32 my computer is running a lot faster

I have had the same success.

I switched from Norton 2004 to NOD32 last summer and was blown away by the decrease in the amount of memory being used. My PC flies now.

As a reseller, this is one of my biggest selling points (That and the kick-a$$ heuristics!!)

Glad you are enjoying it!! :D

10. darthmorgoth

darthmorgoth Registered Member

i am currently testing the trail version of nod32 and have also experienced gains in computing speed and possible internal system lag. i play star wars galaxies, an online mmorpg. in the last few weeks after a huge game "publish", i was having latency of more than five minutes in my game....got rid of mcafee and installed the nod32 trial along with msav. in the three days of testing so far i have had no reacurrence of that particular lag/latency. im not sure if this was the only factor in my case.....i also disabled several settings in my network connections.

11. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

Well get used to it if your using nod.... I have found nothing that can beat it in speed.... turn it all up to the max and you still won't notice any drag!

Its kinda like taking the smog/emission crap off your car eh?

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I shifted to NOD32 from Arcavir, so I didnt really notice any difference in PC performance (ArcaVir is pretty light).

But I know that if I had shifted from eScan directly, I would have really noticed the increase in performance ;)

NOD32 is fast, VERY fast, especially the on-demand scanner. :)

13. windstrings

I haven't used ArcaVir before, and I don't know how extensive and now deep is scans, but I am impressed that NOD scans so much, so deep and so fast.
    Just because an AV is light... it could be light because its a "lightweight!"

NOD outperforms the heavy AV's in every area that I can think of that matters.

14. MAL1111111

MAL1111111 Guest

www.av-comparatives.org <---awesome av testing site. they have one test that tests the antivirus with full updates and another that tests it with 3 month old updates. NOD32 just recently got the highest "unknown viruses" detection rate with 70%, second place was a DISTANT 49%! :p

15. windstrings

Yea.. well if you really want to get the other AV companies screaming... lets include "effecientcy"

If we are going to really compare... I think MORE matters than the viruses it finds aloneo_O

Let the www.av-comparatives.org also include in the analysis runs...
    1. How many times did the program crash thier system?
    2. How long did it take to do thier demand scan?
    3. What percentage does it slug down the operating system on a given computer comparitively speaking?
    4. How does it "feel".. can you tell if programs are sluggish to open, even if the #'s are ok?

Throw that in there and then folks will be able to assess things that really matter!... true, finding viruses is poss top on the list, but if it turns your 3000Mhz machine into a 1000Mhz for speed and punchyness to do so, then its crap?
    I speed a lot of money and time to make my system fly.. I don't need some crappy program killing it and becoming more of a nusience than the viruses they are protecting me from?
    Yea for NOD!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.