This Hardware Forum

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Bill_Bright, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Any chance this forum could be used for posters to seek help with their computer hardware problems instead of being flooded with announcements about all sorts of things that may or may not have to do with computer hardware?

Edit: fixed typo

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

AFAIK. It can be Harddrives, Phones, GPS, Routers, TVs, CPU, Ram, Monitors, internal/external etc etc...

The news and announcements that's being posted here is "Hardware Related"
    And if anyone get any problems with their Computer Hardware they are free to post inhere too, wich happens once in a while, but if people were to post about their "computer hardware problems" only then the hardware section would become rather quiet I think.

Though I understand your point and I somewhat agree, but we just had a discussion about the current sections so I have nothing more to say about it. :)

P.S I hope you have a great July 4th Bill ;)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  3. Bill_Bright

For example (and this is not to criticize you or any person), but why should the thread Live TV still satisfies viewers' needs be in Hardware? Or the thread, Is Wifi dangerous? Other examples include posts about Blackberry's financial woes, the map that shows mobile and twitter use, Flash File turning guide, or the post about DTH taking over cable.

I just don't see these as belonging in the hardware forum - perhaps the forum for services or General Topics would be better?

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

No offence taken Bill, but I was wondering where to post my thread "Is Wifi dangerous", my thinking was that the cause (whether real or alleged) is related to routers and receivers which happen to be hardware and hence my choice.

If any moderator deems appropriate to shift the thread to another forum, I wouldn't have any objections whatsoever. I've never thought you were such a 'die hard-ware guy' though!

5. Bill_Bright

First, thanks for your understanding.

It seems to me the question of WiFi being "dangerous" is clearly a "security" issue, not a hardware issue. As far as routers and receivers being hardware - well, all software runs on hardware, but we still draw a line - when a line is visible. Certainly - until troubleshooting reveals otherwise, some problems ("problems" being the key word here) are not obviously HW or SW problems. And ultimately it may be an ISP (Services) problem.

And where do you discuss drivers? Software specifically used for hardware?

So I do understand the line will always be fuzzy. But it just seems for a technical support forum, the Hardware section should be for posters to post their specific hardware "support" issues and hardware "problems". Not a catch-all for links to [more or less] general purpose articles found on other sites.

To be truthful, most of the "articles" I see posted in the HW section I already saw in my email inbox, as I too subscribe to many of the same newsletters, as do a lot of people.

6. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I think this is up to the Mods to decide and you can allways report a bad post. Just use the !-link in the upperright corner.
    :)

7. Bill_Bright

Yeah, I know I can report bad posts, but these, in no way are "bad" posts. Rather they are informative, and posted with nothing but good intent. If they were bad, or clearly in the wrong forum, (someone posting a HJT log, for example) then reporting may be due.

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

For solving this problem we should first decide if the previous examples fit in some other category. Or if no suitable category is found, perhaps a new (sub)section would be necessary.

Also it worth considering if having too many sections would result in each one having little traffic.

9. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

10. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

In that thread it wasn't about protocols or encryption; it was a question of whether the radiation from wi-fi was dangerous to our health - particularly children, as there were cases where they wanted to ban it in schools. It seems to me that it's more suited to hardware because it only deals with the physical components.

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Before I post I am trying to figure out the best section to post in, and if it is hardware "related" then I post in the Hardware section, like the Live TV thread you mentioned, it's related to Television/TV's, and I see TV's as hardware.

Or the Blackberry financial thread, Blackberry makes Phones, and I see phones as hardware. And it might be interesting to report if it continues to go bad, or if it improves for Blackberry.

Same with the mobile data/statistics thread using Twitter data, it's about where iPhones, Androids etc... are being used in the world, and again Phones being Hardware therefore I posted it in the Hardware section. :( :doubt:

12. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

completely agree with you Bill. this sub forum is being diluted with many unneeded/miscategorized articles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.