This complex to make port specific rules for certain apps ?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by killjoy, Mar 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. killjoy

killjoy Registered Member

In LnS some apps (mostly p2p) you have to make a rule allowing the app inside app filtering and one(or a few) inside internet filtering. The thing is though when i want to allow this app on these ports, would the only way of doing this, be to make 4 seperate rules inside internet filtering to allow this to happen.... ?
    TCP/Outbound
    UDP/Outbound
    TCP/Inbound/Local ports 4661-4663, 6346-6348
    UDP/Inbound/Local ports 3000-8000
    For the Last 2 Local port rules how would i go about to allow only these (local) ports not remote.??

If this is the only way maybe a new feauture could be implemented to make the port specific rules easier to make , like in firewalls like kerio, outpost ?

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey killjoy

To control applications outgoings to specific ports, double click on an application entry in Look ‘n’ Stop Application Filtering.

For initiating connections “to” remote machines, only thing needed is the master TCP authorizing rule which is below “TCP – Block Incoming Connections” rule, if you hadn’t done so already you must make rules to authorize initiating connections from remote machines and these rules gets placed above “TCP – Block Incoming Connections” rule…

You can also specify what application can be used for specific rule by clicking no “Applications…” button in “Rule Editing” Dialog.

3. killjoy

i dont know if were understanding each other or maybe im just not getting it right but , I have to make rules inside app and internet filtering for ONE APP. After this is done the one in app filtering is rendered pretty much useless for port specific creation, because they have to be set first inside internet filtering. and what i was asking was those 4 rules i posted im thinking i would have to make 4 Different rules inside internet filtering just to get it to work which is a hassle compared to how it is in outpost. I dont know if you use p2p these rules are for shareaza , if you use p2p apps youd see exactly what im getting at

4. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Yea I see! Yea it is the design problem.
    You can’t control source/destination IP/ports on Applications in Application filtering…

Regards,

5. killjoy

ok, thanks im off to making 4 different rules in internet filtering , lol would be a great improvement to lns to fix how port rules are made. so it doesnt have to be so messy in internet filtering with so many different rules for a certain app

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.