this any good??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by phatkid, Mar 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phatkid

phatkid Registered Member

so i am going to upgrade video cards, and have decided puter needs a tune up too.....

going to upgrade from...
    p4 2 ghz 233mhz bus
    motherboard intel 845E
    ati 7000 64mb graphics...

too......
    p3 3.o ghz 800 mhz FSB
    intel 865GBFL
    ati 9600 256 mb graphics (they have this, dont think it has fan, so i may buy one elsewhere and get them to install).....overall is this card good
    $750 bucks for the whole upgrade........

comments

cory

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

This is just my personal opinion but if I was going to spend that much to upgrade, I would seriously consider a new computer. There are some extremely good deals on computers now. At least I would sure check around before I spent the best part of a grand on an upgrade. An upgrade still may be the better option but unless you do some good searching you will never know. Like I said this is just my personal opinion.

bigc

3. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

What about RAM? You did not mention it.

4. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

Why pay someone. It really is easy to do it yourself. Have an online buddy walk you through it. Personally, I would go with AMD.

You can do much better: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=191

Cheap: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat....asp?keywords=intel 865&image1.x=0&image1.y=0

If you want a new case this case AND 500 watt Modular Power supply costs less than the power supply itself: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1243199&Sku=ULT31556 CASE

Or here: add your CD HD ect to one of these barebones kits: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1279&

If you have that much to spend: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1683&

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

When you look at where things seem to be heading from a performance perspective (dual core CPU's etc.), I'd just take a peek a what selective parts upgrade might do for you.

For example, the Dells I bought 2 1/2 years ago (Dim 4500 2.26 GHz P4, 256 MB RAM, cheap NVidia cards, 40 GB drive) have been upgraded a bit (2.8 GHz P4, 768 MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600XT, add 120 GB HDD) for ~ $400/PC, which isn't bad to keep them reasonably current.

The biggest jumps in performance came from the video upgrade, then RAM. The second HDD provided slack and the updated P4 was a nice touch but not really needed. Aside from the bump up in FSB speed over the past couple of years, things have been relatively static.

Your base system isn't too bad a spec. if you can do some selective part upgrades. Although your current CPU looks somewhat weak, really beefing up the video and RAM can do wonders.

Just a thought and you may have already done this analysis in coming up with your configuration. If so, I'd see if you could squeeze a somewhat higher performance video card. The 9600 is a good one, but if you're a serious gamer you might want a little higher spec. As Close_Hauled mentioned, RAM and more RAM, there's never too much. Finally, since you don't have a HDD mentioned, just don't spoil a nice system with a 5400 rpm number - get a hefty 7200 or 10000 rpm one with decently sized cache. Obviously, pick and choose if the budget gets broken. HDD characteristics are often overlooked, but they're more critical on a RAM lean system, so a RAM bump will mitigate using an old drive.

Blue

6. Someone said to look into a new computer. I think they didn't stop to think that when building a white box, what you described IS a new computer. New Pentium chip, new motherboard, etc. That's a NEW computer! If their idea of a new computer is a DELL - forget it. You're on the right track!!!

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I got these prices from pricewatch.com

Intel D865GBFL around $100
    Intel P4 3.o ghz 800 mhz FSB around $172
    RADEON 9600XT 256MB DDR around $130

I didn't include shipping because alot of places listed on pricewatch provide free shipping.

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

If you have a CircuitCity nearby they seem to be having a deal on a Western Digital 250 gig for 80 bucks after rebates. Looks like it ends on the 26th.

Rebate Details

9. phatkid

ok lets see..... new puter, na...gunna put my cd, dvd drives in the new box to save money

ALSO, SOMETHING TO CONSIDER IS I AM CANADIAN, SO $ DIFFER
    although those deals look sweet namor....i'll look into it..

is this close to what i am looking at
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1230114&CatId=1235

i have 512mb ram 7200rpm FYI, and yeah, may get the better video card if i can.....i want one with a fan..

keep the suggestions coming....

cory

10. phatkid

also came across this site....

http://www.canadacomputers.com/cpus.html#int
    cpu is 235 and motherboard about 120....

oh yeah....i waa upgrading my 512mb ram at 266mhz to the 512 @400mhzo_O
    i think....frig cant remember

cory

11. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

12. phatkid

so i am re-reading everyones ideas and funny thing.....just played TW2K5 with a guy that build his own puter and said the same thing blue zannetti said....upgrade card(video) and go to 1g ram with 400mh and i will notice huge differnce....said a motherboard and CPU is a waste right now....really would like to get the 800mhz FSB.....but the money i could save i could put on a 17" flat panel monitor...........OH THE DECISIONS!!!

cory

13. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Ahem...phatkid,

You can upgrade your video card and ram all you want but a good processor is still required for Artificial Intelligence and Physics in games...therefore I recommend at least a 2.4GHz CPU...its best you get an AMD...performance at a cheap price. You can get the Athlon64 2800+ or Athlon64 3000+ its not too costly.

And for a cheap motherboard to fit in with that Athlon64, I recommend the Asus K8V-X.

Also your current motherboard does not support AGP8X which can give you better performance at higher graphics detail (when the memory requirement is more than what you got on the card). Therefore I recommend you upgrade.

Regards,
    Firecat

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  14. Memory dude

Memory dude Guest

I would go with more memory before ANYTHING else. If you have at least a 2.4ghz, you bump your memory to a gig (or more) and you'll see a HUGE difference! When I went from 512mb to 1gig (cost me all of $80) I had never seen such a performance bump. The cpu is fine, but with all of these memory intensive programs (especially the security ones!) the memory bump would give you instant performance gains. I have now gone to 2gigs of memory and I find I no longer even monitor my computers memory usage. I have plenty and it flies without a bump.

15. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

yes...and make sure you get at least 400MHz memory, and a MINIMUM of 512MB at that. For being safe I recommend 1GB.

16. phatkid

fine than......TOTAL UPGRADE.....

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.