Third Party Software Suggestions

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by wxman, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wxman

wxman Registered Member

I posted this over at the Acronis Disk Director board, but no one has responded. I need to find a data recovery software, because there's not much left of one of my hard drives after a bad repartitioning. It was my fault, and no valid backups remain. I'm trying to see if anything can be rescued now. I've tried GetDataBack, and it didn't come up with any usable files.
    I just wanted to know if anyone has had any luck suggestions with data recovery softwares, or suggestions of a good one to try.

Thanks

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

3. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

Hi wxman

This software is very expensive, but you could download the trial version
    and check what is recoverable on your drive. (it won't allow recovery)
    Then you will have to make a decision if the recovery justifies the price.
    You could get a cheaper alternative but it may not recover as well.
    At the end of the day you will have an idea of what is recoverable
    and from that information you can make further decisions

http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecoveryprofessional/

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have a friend who just lost the drive on her IBM laptop. She ended up using Ontract's recovery service. They recovered 100% of the files, but the cost was $1100.

5. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

I recommend you put the drive on a different computer as a slave (secondary drive) and run the recovery from there. You will need enough hard drive space on the good computer to store whatever files can be recovered.
    Be prepared to take a loooooooong time for the recovery, it is slow.
    The more you try to start the computer from the bad hard drive, the more chance you have of overwriting any data that might be recovered.

I haven't had the opportunity to use GRC.com's SpinRite in an actual recovery situation, but it has received praise as a recovery and hd repair tool.

6. ravin

ravin Registered Member

7. wxman

wxman Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was running the last one that I had picked while I asked this question here. It just finished, and it seems to have found nearly everything! I don't know if it's the best solution, but I think I should probably use this one for now as a "quit while I'm ahead" scenario. If anyone interested the software is R-Studio, and it did allow me to actually see my rebuilt, working files, before I decide to send any money.

The moral of this saga is pay attention to the utility that's moving a partition around, and don't let 2 year old granddaughter's get a hold of back up CD's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.