Thinnest tablet fight!

Discussion in 'hardware' started by aigle, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

After smart phones, the tablet fight has also become very interesting. Topetablets are in dog fight to be get the crown of " Thinnest Tablet", in addition to other features/ designs and look n feels.

iPad1 - 13.4 mm
    iPad2 - 8.8 mm
    Samsung Galaxy - 8.6 mm
    Asus Transformer - 12.95
    Toshiba Regza AT700 - 7.7 mm
    Asus Transformer Prime ( to come in Q1 2012) - 8.3 mm
    iPad 3 ( to come in Q1 2012) thickness ??

I am waiting for Transformer Prime or a Newer Galaxy. Still can,t decide whether a 10 inch tablet is good or a 7 inch one.

There is competition in screen pixel density as well. Most tablets including iPad 2 have a resolution of 1024x768. iPad 3 is expected to have 2560x1920 while I just read about a 6 inch Toshiba tablet with 2560x1600 resolution. Other vendors will have to compete it as well. :p

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

A quick info about 7 inch tablets.

Kindle Fire - 11.4mm
    HTC Flyer - 13.2mm
    7 inch Galaxy Tab - 7.9mm

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Kobo is coming out with a 7 inch and will beat Amazon to market.

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

[Rant on]
    One thing to remember is the desire to make notebooks thinner and lighter than the competition is exactly why notebooks are so proprietary. And being proprietary is exactly why they are more expensive to buy, more expensive to upgrade, have fewer upgrade options, are more expensive to repair, and are more difficult if not impossible for "normal users" to perform required maintenance - like cleaning the interiors of heat trapping dust and dirt.

Now I have not seen a tablet with cooling fans (which are excellent at sucking in heat trapping dust) so required maintenance may not be an issue. But the rest is.

I am just saying there is something to a large PC case that is based on the industry-wide ATX Form Factor Standard that allows users to open side panels for easy inspections and cleaning and provides consumers with literally 10s of 1000s of upgrade options to keep a PC "current" through years and years of service.

Not to mention, full sized keyboards, large monitors and decent sound.
    [Rant off]

5. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Thin ones are nice. Except when one wants to plug in a USB flash or USB keyboard or mouse or SD card or HDMI cable or camera, or have a replaceable battery ... at which point a fat one may be more useful and less expensive in the long run. To remedy total lack of connections, some beautiful, thin ones, do provide docks at extra, high, cost, some don't.

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Maybe something that can fit in my suit pocket.

7. Bill_Bright

Yeah, that would be great, as long as it can unfold into a 24" widescreen monitor and full size keyboard! ;)

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I did not get your point. Tablets give you the mobility and ease of use that ofcourse comes with a cost to pay.

We can never compare tablets with desktop PCs.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think the 7 inch tabs can.

10. Bill_Bright

And yet, that is exactly what is happening. More and more users are giving up their PCs and migrating to mobile devices, expecting them to fully replace their PCs. With these devices you can surf the Internet, check your email, do your banking, listen to music, watch movies, play games, send print jobs to printers. Sounds pretty much like a PC to me.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Yes, and I don,t see any thing wrong here. It,s a transition that is happening and no one can stop it I think.

12. Bill_Bright

I do - though not sure "wrong" is the right word. Again, if you like large or multiple screens (I use and love my two 22" widescreens), you are out of luck. Real, ergonomic keyboards don't fit in you pocket either. Hand-held devices are leading to the obliteration of proper spelling and grammar. Options are pretty much non-existent. Quality audio is non-existent, except perhaps with quality headphones which cannot be shared and promote isolationism. Self-builders and computer enthusiasts have no options. There is no such thing as repair-it-yourself.

What I see in the near future is everyone, at least for their personal computing needs, will have these devices. Those that want full size keyboards, a mouse, monitors, speakers will then slip their hand-held into a docking station - or maybe - probably - it will be a wireless interface.

As a PC enthusiast/builder/technician for many many years, I see the PC as we know it going the way of the dinosaur. I typically love and embrace advances in electronics technologies, but this one makes me sad.

I am pushing 60 now and I keep my custom PC/PC repair business going just to stay current and "in the game" as fortunately, I am at a point in my life I don't need the extra income to put a roof over my head. But I feel for those PC shops that are struggling now to stay afloat who need to feed their families and keep them warm and dry at night.

The networked corporate world will be the last holdout as the biggest advantages to a PC is it accommodates multiple users - and a PC doesn't grow legs and disappear near as easily as hand-helds do.

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I'll NEVER EVER betray my full size desktop!
    It offers lots of advantages as bill said, i can ugprade it whenever i want, future proof, awesome gaming, easy to maintain, i can fix it by myself and more importantly it has a big screen + manly sized peripherials (Keyboard + Mouse) :D

Anyways, i still like tablets they look awesome and are good as time killers :rolleyes:
    Would be good if i had one :ninja:

14. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Having used an ipad for a year i came to the conclusion that 10" was just too big for me. I have smallish hands and typing on a 10" screen was never a comfortable experience not too mention it was a bit heavy to be held for extended periods.
    I now have a blackberry playbook and its 7" size fits me much better. Typing on it is great and its small size means i can easily throw it in a jacket pocket. If i was to be picky i'd say that 7" maybe a bit too small for certain tasks but i've adjusted to it now and its portability more than makes up for it.

I'll definitely be getting one of the samsung galaxy tabs for my next tablet. The galaxy tab 8.9 looks like it could be the sweet spot between being too big or too small.

15. farmerlee

Thats exactly what i've done. My tablet takes care of all my browsing, email, movies, music etc... I only fire up the desktop these days for gaming or perhaps to convert a movie or something.

16. Bill_Bright

And if the tablet meets your needs, then IMO, that is great. But I don't ever see it meeting mine, so I worry they may limit my future options as manufacturers concentrate on tablets.

17. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Probably it's because most of us just do basic things (Checking things around the webz, social networks, e-mails etc.)
    Even i do basic things usually but i always keep my banking, e-mail and online shopping for my desktop :D

18. farmerlee

Yeh a tablet is basically a jack of all trades but a master of none. I gave my last laptop to my mother and when i looked into getting another one i found that a tablet could do everything i needed. What ultimately made me get one is that it offered far better portability and battery life than i'd ever had with a laptop.
    From what i've read laptops seem to have had an impact on the desktop market and it seems that tablets are now having an impact on the laptop market so its possible that it could limit future options in those markets. I certainly hope it doesnt as i love my powerful desktop pc. Its like owning an expensive european sports car i can take for a spin in the weekends while my tablet is the cheap japanese import i commute with during the week lol :D

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  19. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.