Thinkpad T400 Stuck In Vista Startup Repair Mode

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by huntnyc, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

To Pete or anyone because I remember Pete you have a Thinkpad but this is my situation with new T400 laptop and I could use some good advice in a rough situaiton and thanks.

Love everything about my new T400 but I am stuck in startup repair after imaging a Data partition from another machine intto free space created after I had resized my C drive. When reboot was attempted after Data image from my Sony FW was retored to free space on T400, I hit the Startup Repair which is taking quite a lot of time to do its work if it is doing so. The T400 seems quite fragile regarding moving data partitions from one laptop to another.

I use latest version of ShadowProtect for imaging, doing restores to T400 from Boot CD of SP. T400 has Vista Business 32 bit with Lenovo partitions still on the drive.

What has happened and what should I do now? What would you do in this situation and thanks.

Gary

2. huntnyc

Re: Thinkpad T400 Stuck In Vista Startup Repari Mode

Replying to my psot with an update on how I got out of endless repair lop in Vista after resotring C drive from ShadowProtect image made from Recovery CD.

I got my Recovery DVDs and went to factory restore. Then, I used Image for Lynux from Terabyte and behold it worked imaging and restoring from CD the C drive. Lenovo boots the machine from a service partition and not C so maybe this gave SP some trouble but until a fix I cannot use my trusted SP on this Thinkpad T400 Vista laptop.

Gary

3. Hippocrates

Hippocrates Registered Member

Hi Gary,

I had the same problem with my Thinkpad T400 (running Windows Vista Business 32 bit) after restoring from the boot CD of ShadowProtect too!

I was actually very impressed with the speed, compression and performance of SP that I almost bought it. Fortunately I decided to test its restore function before making the purchase and soon realised that somehow SP is incompatible with T400.

It's weird to find that the system partition (C:) in T400 is not the active partition. The service partition (S:) occupies the start of the disk and is labelled as active.

The restore on C partition completed successful (whether or not I overwrote the MBR) but the system refused to boot later on but to remain in endless loop of startup repair.

After testing all the options, I restored the S partition but the system reported that it couldn't find winload.exe.

Macrium Reflect on the other hand backup and restore beautifully on T400. It has the speed of SP but is slightly slower when performing an incremental backup. The compression ratio for incremental is lower compared to SP too.

Otherwise, Macrium Reflect is fast, stable, reliable, value for money, and most importantly it works nicely on T400.

4. huntnyc

I will have to check Macrium out because I might like it. Image for aLynux is great but would like to see how Macrium functions. Iguess you are speaking of paid version because I would want the version with most features and thanks.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.