Thinking of using FDISR.

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Bio-Hazard, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Each snapshot is in fact a copy of the C-drive and you can change each snapshot the way you want. The smaller the snapshots are, the faster the copy/update will be executed.

Once the first and the second are created, the copy/update between the two snapshots will be much faster already exist.
    The same counts for existing archived snapshots which can also be updated, just like bootable snapshots. FDISR is the fastest backup method I've ever seen.

Almost everything is done with copy/update in FDISR :
    - creating new snapshots, new compressed snapshots, new archives
    - update snapshots, update archives
    - even freezing a snapshot is a variant of copy/update.

FDISR gives you only the functions and it's up to you HOW to use them.
    Most experienced FDISR-users use FDISR in a different way, only your imagination is the limit, like we always say.

Empty snapshots allow you to install another Operating System, only these are possible : win2000pro, winXPhome, winXPpro and winVISTA. One operating system per snapshot. In other words you can create a multiboot-system with FDISR.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  2. crash79`

crash79` Registered Member

I have now got a primary and secondary snapshot.
    For one who only uses the computer to pass the time, surfing, shopping etc etc is there anything else I need to do, other than copy the secondary to the primary from time to time. I'm not really interested or competent to try other intricate ways if I already have sufficient protection.
    Although now over my mid eighties I am fascinated with both this and Shadow Protect programmes both installed and working with the help from the patient volunteers in Wilders.
    John

3. pbernard

pbernard Registered Member

Thanks! That's what I did and all went well.
    Pat

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

First snapshot is your c: drive. Your second is a copy. And yes they can be copied updated fairly quickly indeed.

5. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

System recovery has so far been a gaping hole in my setup, that is to say that up to now (though I have been lucky enough not to need it) my only method of recovery would have been the windows restore. Up until now I have been pre-occupied with keeping things out, virus, and general malware etc. Now being satisfied with my system protection via the Anti this that and the other, I have turned my attention to this obviously very important and previously overlooked aspect of system recovery.

I have noticed many people discussing FDISR in conjuction with other recovery software, now whilst I am aware that no one piece of software is foolproof, I am wondering how essential it is to have other software along with FD. I am very aware of how easy it is to get sucked into the "Anti-everything software mentality" to the point of overkill and I do not wish to go there with the recovery software, so I am wondering are there any major weaknesses in FDISR, or can I be reasonably happy with just it on it's own. Not looking for any guarantees here guys, as already mentioned I realise nothing is foolproof, just looking for a rough guage of how safe I am with this alone as my recovery solution. Thanx

6. Peter2150

Hi Tradetime

Pretty darn safe. The only thing in theory FDISR won't cover is complete failure of the c: drive. But even there you do have options as long as you have other hard drives on your system. Personally I would recommend an imaging solution along with FDISR. Then you are rock solid.

Pete

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

As a new user of FD I already have a potential scenario. I installed BOClean from Comodo on my primary snapshot. After a few days all is well except I have lost my connection 3 times for a few seconds, which I'm told is BOClean screwing around with Winsock. I'm going to let it soak for a week or so, but if it becomes problematic, I'll boot to my secondary snapshot then copy/update from the secondary to the primary and It'll be like BOclean never happened. Right? :cool:

8. ErikAlbert

Tradetime,
    It depends how fast you want your computer back, when you have a problem.
    Also your personal knowledge of computers, Windows, Internet, Malware and Anti-Malware has alot to do with it.
    My knowledge is so poor, that I can't solve any problem, small or big.
    I don't know WHAT caused the problem and even when I would know the cause, I wouldn't know HOW to fix it.
    I only know ONE thing for sure : when I re-install my computer ALL problems are gone, but that's not a practical solution, if you have to re-install your computer each time when you have a problem.

To solve my problems :
    - I can ask other knowledgeable people to help me, each time when I'm in trouble, but that's not my style and I have to WAIT for them until they have the time to help me.
    - I can learn, learn and learn until I know everything to fix my problems, but I don't have the time and I don't like to learn all that boring stuff.
    So I had to find another solution, one I can handle myself without needing other people and without having a deep knowledge.

To keep it short, I found a very good solution :
    1. Immediate System Recovery
    I use FirstDefense-ISR to fix all my problems in no time
    If FDISR can't fix it, I use something else : Image Backup/Recovery.

2. Image Backup/Recovery
    I use Acronis True Image Home at this moment, but I will replace it with ShadowProtect v3
    I need Image Backup/Recovery in three cases :
    1. To recover my personal data. FDISR can't do this, because I separated my data files from system files.
    2. To recover FDISR, when it is corrupted, which happens very rare.
    3. To recover from a harddisk crash. FDISR can't do this.
    All the rest is solved by FDISR : from my stupid mistakes to a frozen BSOD.
    The problem with Image Backup is that it isn't versatile : backup and recovery and that's it.
    That's not the case with FDISR, it is very versatile.
    This combination can handle any possible problem without exception, if you do and use it right.

I replace my computer with a new computer during each reboot, without problems and without malware and it takes only 90-120 seconds to do it.
    It took me awhile to accomplish this, but I don't waste my time anymore on solving problems and cleaning my computer. :)

9. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

I also have all my data on D:... can't you just drag-n-drop those D: files & folders on to your DVD burner to make a backup of them? I use GHOST2003 and make an image of my D: drive.
    Glad to hear that.
    Can't you just recreate the partitions, and then using FDISR, restore whatever?

I use GHOST to restore my system or data drives. It takes about 20 minutes for me to restore my system partion. I have my saved GHOST images, and if I decide I like a program, I just create another GHOST image.

So, it looks like FDISR would only same me A LOT time (since my GHOST process has been working 100% since about mid-2003)... right?

Mike

10. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Hello and greets twl845.

~Off topic comments removed. - Ron

FOLLOW ErikAlbert's suggestions from the steps offered above, and remember.

SOFTWARE STILL CAN AND WILL GO WOEFULLY WRONG ON YOU AT SOME POINT, BUT FIRSTDEFENSE IS THERE TO SET MATTERS RIGHT AGAIN! AND QUICKLY!:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2007
  11. ErikAlbert

What ? My data on DVD's ? No way man. That is a step back. :D
    Why would I do that ? I have an external harddisk to backup my data partition. DVD's aren't reliable enough for data.

I use my external harddisk to store all my images of system partition and data partition.
    I don't need extra partitions and I like to keep my images OFF-LINE.
    FDISR works only for the system partition and ignores any other partition or harddisk.

You use Norton Ghost, I will use ShadowProtect in the future.
    These are just names of Image Backup softwares and they all do a good job, once they like your system. :)

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Easter2010, OK thanks for the heads up.;)

13. flinchlock

So, how do you handle that?

Mike

14. ErikAlbert

If the secondary snapshot doesn't contain BOClean and you copy/update FROM secondary snapshot TO primary snapshot, your primary snapshot won't contain BOClean anymore as if it was never there. :)
    FDISR is a 100% guaranteed uninstaller, not like all the other uninstallers, which often require a registry cleaner to remove the leftovers. FDISR doesn't have that problem GONE is GONE.
    Remember, copy/update creates always IDENTICAL snapshots. After copy/update your primary snapshot = secondary snapshot.

15. Peter2150

Hi Mike

Some people use acronis true Image, I use Shadow Protect and I image my system. That way I can restore in what the refer to a Bare Metal Recovery, or brand new drive.

Imaging and FDISR are really quite complimentary towards one another, and I use both frequently.

Pete

16. ErikAlbert

I never had a harddisk crash in my life. My old computer's harddisk was more than 5 years old and was still working fine.
    That doesn't happen so often.

I assume that my harddisk is physically damaged in such case and needs to be replaced by a new harddisk and then I restore the approperiate image on the new harddisk.
    I have no practical experience with such an event.

I have two internal harddisks and one external harddisk. The chance that all three harddisks crash at the SAME TIME is only possible in theory, but as good as impossible in practice.

According my readings it happens regularly that users don't backup at the RIGHT moment, especially when they try something new and can't wait.
    When it goes terrible wrong they often spend more time on fixing it, than taking a backup in advance.
    I do my backup first and then try new things. :)

I learned alot from reading disaster posts. Also my security is partly based on recovery.

17. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

A safe practice without a doubt. And those odds that all 3 would simultaneously malfunction are nill it must be agreed.

I have 2 internal HD's myself w/3rd in tray (reserve) plus 3 interchangable HD's "ALL" with at least some archives on them with the exception of Win98 (fat32) drive. No USB externals ATM but maybe later (on sale).

This whole scene of RECOVERY is still relatively in it's infancy for me and why i guess that i find it more than just favorable for preservation sake, but exciting as well. And frankly if computing couldn't offer me something more encouraging than everyday routine security and management i probably wouldn't have continued my interest in them this long.

FD-ISR puts a whole new spin on the word confidence IMO.

I always felt in the back of my mind that my drives/system were living on borrowed time and one day there would be no other choice but find myself forced to bring out the CD's of saved zips and run the XP Pro install routine again and thus reprogram the hundreds of customizations that had taken months to complete. I tell you from experience that's no picnic or piece of cake.
    FD-ISR is Step#1 for me to finally enjoying total confidence in this work as well as the many other efforts (research/testings) i choose to pursue. It does make a monumental difference in how i look at matters now.

18. flinchlock

Oh, OK... I thought did have some process in place and I was just curious about it... I will stop asking you. :blink:

Personally, I do not like having my data only on a spare drive in the same case as the PC.

I live in a nice rural area (farms and houses), but I am paranoid if my PC was stolen.

So, I have a Linux server (running SAMBA, that makes it look like a Windows PC/file system) in my basement in none conspicuous place.

I use a free tiny (97,280 bytes) program from Microsoft called robocopy.

I use that program to keep an EXACT copy of my DOC files also on the basement server.

If I add/delete/change/update a file, the server will also have the exact same files.

I also use Nero to burn DVD copies of my system and DOC files and keep them in a 500 pound gun safe also in my basement.

Mike

19. flinchlock

I have a Word doc file where I have documented ALL, I mean ALL, software and tweaks I have ever done on my PC.

I can rebuild my PC from scratch to be exactly as it was before, but it would take a few days. But at least I don't have to remember all the tweaks... they are documented.

If a major thing happened to your PC, fire/stolen/hurricane, would you be able to recover?

Mike

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Flinchlock, Wouldn't a thief look in the basement? If he has time to go through your main floor, he'll probably check downstairs too. :ninja:

21. flinchlock

I do not have a thief mentality, so, I hope that the old big PC with some of the front slots with no covers, sitting amongst the canned goods, cereal boxes, MIGHT help it to be over looked.

Mike

22. ErikAlbert

That is a good method, writing everything down. That's the only way to remember everything, if you ever have to re-install from scratch manually.
    I also created installation files, using MS Word and SnagIt (screenshots) for each software, I use constantly on my computer. :)

23. tradetime

Agreed, my own abilities on a computer with regards to problem solving is simple, if it stops working the way it is supposed to restore it end of.
    So far I like the look of this program, thogh I can see like most software you can be lucky and unlucky, my brother decided to trial it on his compter and it doesn't work, installs ok but won't make a secondary snapshot stops after a couple of seconds, log file says 2 errors, no explanations, so I guess like most software it's a bit hit and miss

24. ErikAlbert

The problem on your brother's computer might have a cause that can be corrected. A few other starters had also problems with FDISR in the very beginning but Peter fixed these problems.

Any automatic defragmentation has to be turned OFF forever.
    Some security softwares have to be disabled, before doing a copy/update.
    Sometimes VSS/RSS can cause problems. Changing from VSS to RSS might solve the problem.
    So give that advice to your brother and let him try again.

25. tradetime

Thanx dude will pass that on, if he's still having trouble, he's a bit more computer literate than I.

Where is the vss / rss option setting, I have not seen that in the options or the manual (it's ok, I see that one in a sticky on the forum)
    Ok now I'm curious, :) there's a character in the middle of that formula cd \$ISR\$APP\Setup | ISRSetup -install –rss, between Setup and ISRSetup looks like a capital I or a 1, but it's neither, how is that reproduced?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.