Thinking of trying LooknStop

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by markcc, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markcc

markcc Registered Member

I'm currently using GData antivirus 2010. Does anyone know of any known problem with this combination? This firewall looks interesting to me.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

i doubt there will be any

3. markcc

markcc Registered Member

Thanks Cudni! Would you recommend some kind of HIPS to run with this or is the firewall enough?

4. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I would recommend checking into Malware Defender as a HIPS
    http://www.torchsoft.com/en/md_information.html but it depends on you. LooknStop with Phantom's rule set is very good. I feel better though with firewall, AV and HIPS. Another choice would be DefenseWall http://www.softsphere.com/ which is 50% off today http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/defensewall-hips/. Both HIPS are highly recommended here at Wilders

5. markcc

markcc Registered Member

Thanks G1111 for the advice. Right now I'm using Outpost Pro which has a HIPS already. It seems to have some issues with GData at the moment. I may try to disable web guard in Outpost & see if that makes a difference, if it does not I will try LooknStop & see what happens.

6. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Have you tried contacting Outpost or Gdata. Outpost had issues with Kaspersky AV at one time, but eventually by users letting both know what kind of problems they were having they are now compatible. Outpost recognizes Kaspersky when I update it and I have had no problems in awhile. Don't know what futire versions will be like, but for now they work well together.

7. markcc

markcc Registered Member

Right now LookNStop runs VERY light with GData. I have used Outpost with different a/v combinations for years. I have alot of respect for Outpost but I'm tired of trying to make it work for now. I have OSS on one machine & it's fine. I really like how LookNstop works on this computer & I think for now I will keep using it. I may try Mamutu & see what happens.

8. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Okay good luck with LooknStop. There was an enhanced rule set for LnS by PhatOm who is a regular poster. Not sure if it is still available. Perhaps someone else can answer.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

G1111, out of curiosity, didn't you ditch Malware Defender as it was slowing down your system? Don't get me wrong, but how can you recommend something that isn't working on your system?

10. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Osaban, sorry I did not see your post earlier. Yes I did remove the program. It ran fine for awhile, but apparently it started conflicting with one of the many security programs I have on my machine. Neither I or Xiaolin could figure it out so he gave me a full refund. Even let me use the software key to try it again after he refunded my money. It is a great classical HIPS program and I miss it. I am one of the few (or only one) that had any compatibility issues with it. Given what I know about the program and Xiaolin's great level of support, yes I would still recommend it. I believe it has a 30-day full trial period. I would use it again in the future if I could figure out why it slows down my machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.