Thinking of Trying Eset Smart Security

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by mhl6493, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhl6493

mhl6493 Registered Member

I'm thinking about trying a trial of the latest release of Eset Smart Security. It's one of the few products I have never tried at all before.

Question for long-time users - what are the primary advantages of ESS that you have found in using it over the years? What does it do well, in your experience? And what are the areas where you've encountered some problems, where perhaps it needs to be improved? And, finally, how have you found the customer service and support to be?

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well it's a stable product IMO, it have never crashed for me, everything is integrated as in there's no custom installation to install just the AV engine and FW or whatever. Everything is tightly integrated and that's a big reason as to why it's so light on the systems, and as I said in another thread, all the signatures and modules are loaded into the RAM to increase the system performance, and to keep CPU and I/O read/write (HDD) usage to a minimum, wich is the other reason for ESET lightness. And the modules get's updated when they need to get updated. And they never rush out things unlike some other vendors, and they still haven't started with "ESET 2013" they keep the version numbers wich I thank them for. :thumb:

And there's no stupid browser plugins to worry about, you get the same level of web protection in what ever browser you use. And FYI all possible threats that have tried to get in got stopped at the http level by the http scanner (very effective), unless the whole URL is blocked of course and the "block page" is shown instead. And the web protection is a huge reason why I stay with ESET, and that the web protection module doesn't slowdown things.

I haven't really found anything that really needs any improvments, at least nothing I can think of right now. :D ESET products get's improvements all the time more or less.

Very good the few times I needed it, and usually done here in the official Wilders forum. But they are moving soon and have started their own forum at http://forum.eset.com/ wich you might want to join as well.

Sorry for the rather long post :D

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Okay im starting to like the sound of eset.I really should stick with what i have and stop being so curious lol.

I must admit ive never used our robotic friend yet and im quite tempted to give him a spin round the block.
    Interestingly eset is very popular here in england and ive passed the product by for some reason.

I assume their is a trial of the suite.?

Regards.

4. mhl6493

Thanks for the post, SweX -- that was very helpful.

Amiga, yes, there is a 30-day trial for ESS that can be downloaded from the main Eset website. And I'm with you - I should probably stick to what I have right now, too, but what fun is that? :D

The only downside that I've ever seen from ESS is that it's a bit more expensive than some suites, and places like Download Crew don't seem to have any deals on it. They appear to be harder to find than most products...

5. guest

guest Guest

Try Softpedia, discount 20% off. :thumb:

DISCLAIMER: No, I'm not in any way affiliated with Softpedia. Peace... :D

6. mhl6493

Thanks. Will definitely keep that in mind when/if I run the trial for a while and see how it runs on my system.

7. mhl6493

I just watched a few You Tube tests (I know, I know...), and it looks like the web filter and antivirus did very well. The only potential problem area that showed up consistently was that the HIPS as configured by default didn't seem to do all that much. I fact, I never saw them do *anything*. Anyone want to shed some light on the the HIPS for me?

8. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Not a long time user.

No bothersome FPs that destruct system files, quiet, unobtrusive (I've adjusted the scheduled tasks because I dislike the startup scan for instance :p ) , relatively light, fast. I always access the advanced setup of virtually any security product I use, and in this instance I have set the firewall from automatic to interactive (I like to keep a tight grip on things), enabled detection of : potentially unwanted applications, potentially unsafe applications, suspicious applications, to give a few examples.
    Not participating in their cloud system.

I haven't needed service or support. Simple GUI.

The product scores high on av-comparatives.

9. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

I recommend against the Smart Security, personal experience, buggy firewall, incompatibly with dozens of programs and corruption download problem... I strongly recommend the Antivurs only, its by far the best in lightness and efficiency, it also detects a considerable number of PUP and other malicious software like adware and spyware not detected by other Antivirus.

ESET hips is basically ON or OFF, full blown, the default configuration only protect eset's files and service, the interactive mode ask you about every possible action made by a program it requires an experienced user to distinguishes if the alert is malicious or not. Prepare to get bombarded by popups.

edit: other feature i like about eset is the amount of options that allow the user to fine-tune the antivirus to suit every possible need.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Actually this is something we don't recommend. Startup scans should be quite fast, with almost unnoticeable impact on system performance. Disabling startup scan tasks may prevent ESET from cleaning problematic malware, such as LockScreen ransomware.

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Regarding the HIPS yes it's designed to be as silent as possible in the default setup as it's not really ment to be used as a classical HIPS.

But I think if you scroll through this support article then i'm sure you will understand better what each HIPS mode will do, and wich mode that suits you best.

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?pag...earch&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1369225025751
    You're welcome :)

12. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

I like to jump in this thread with just one query :-

Is there any difference b/w ESS and EAV in terms of performance ?

I am happy with Windows Firewall too. So my concern is if EAV is faster than ESS then buying EAV makes more sense to me.

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hi Nevis.
    No, no difference IMO.(at least not noticeable)
    It was mentioned a few years back that even if you turn of the Firewall and/or Antispam in ESS, you won't gain anyting performance wise.

And I believe that's the case today as well :)

14. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I have actually found the ESS firewall to be faster than the Windows firewall. From there it is up to the end user to decide which one they prefer.

15. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

OK.. Thanks for your answers.
    Just bought 1 year ESS :)

16. mhl6493

When you get a chance, let us know what you think of it and how it works for you. I'd be interested in your experience with it.

17. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

Sure, I will share my experience.

18. kaboro

kaboro Registered Member

Over the last 11 years i used Norton, Kaspersky, Eset, Gdata and Bitdefender.
    The worst one was Gdata despite the glorious reviews it used to get.
    All the others were fine but personally i liked Eset the best by far.
    Eset does not slow your PC, does not harrass you with false alarms, has the most user friendly firewall system (the learning mode is pure bliss), and despite all these features it protects you as well as the best out there.
    All the other AV products i used dont offer the options of Eset and they always block things they shouldnt block leading to unnecessary problems.
    For example Bit Defender slows my download speeds by 15%, Kaspersky blocks website functionalities without warning and it slows my PC, Gdata is horrendous in identifying anything as a threat, Gdata and Bitdefender offer almost no user options, you have hardly any input over how they work.
    Eset is probably the least intrusive AV solution out there.
    I had some issues with Eset, like ui crashes and confusing renewal process, but right now i dont think there is any product on the market that even comes close to Eset in terms of options it offers, non-intrusive and non-interfering with your PC activities while offering high level of protection.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.