Thinking of going naked

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by L815, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm not going to play word games, not in a foreign language. "Going naked" is not mine, the OP used it.
    Why would I stop using AE, because it doesn't fit in your approach ?

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I'm not playing word games - it really is an important question - and can not be dismissed so easily. Also I didn't say you should stop using AE - I just pointed out that you are not really naked if you continue to do so. As to my approach - that is neither here nor there. I consider myself to be operating on a more naked basis than most but admitted that to be really naked I would probably have to use a modem and even downgrade to IE.

3. ErikAlbert

We both work with a frozen system partition. If you don't use any security software, malware can do anything.
    So you need security softwares to stop the execution of malware between two reboots. AE does that, DefenseWall does that and any other softwares that does stop the execution is welcome in my system partition, except blacklist softwares.
    Which softwares, you have to use to kill the execution is an endless discussion.
    If my security softwares fail, my boot-to-restore will remove them anyway and that does not happen in a NORMAL system partition.

The reason why your scanners didn't find anything is DEEPFREEZE, not your security softwares. :)

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  4. Long View

Perhaps I should change my signature ? ( done) when I first bought DeepFreeze I used it all the time. Then came Returnil - on all the time and then Shadow defender. The next change was to use Returnil with session lock. Being lazy I tend not to even use session lock much any more. I know the theory but tend to trust my bank etc.

So today on my main machine I should perhaps list FF, Netgear, and shadow protect as my only "security" with shadow protect being no more than a safety net. I do still run machines which are frozen but tend to think that they are clean not because they are frozen but because my surfing habits are fairly conservative and that risks in general are greatly exaggerated.

5. ErikAlbert

If I would only visit my bank website and Wilders, I don't need much security either, but that's not what I have in mind.
    I'm already glad I don't have to spend any time anymore on cleaning my system partition, but I'm not satisfied yet, I want more, just don't know how to do it yet.

6. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Rootkit scanning, verification of digital signatures of system files, checking of auto startup entries and analyzing the filesystem from another system (LiveCD, BartPE, another HDD, etc) is all you need to know if a system is infected or not. You don't need to check every file by hand.

7. L815

L815 Guest

My original thought when creating the thread meant no realtime security software. No HIPS, no Anti-Virus, no realtime anti-malware etc...
    On-demand was the intent if any security.

Having a linksys router and using a safer browser are becoming common practice, and thus I wouldn't include it, especially since I won't be able to get internet without the router ;)

8. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

My thoughts exactly :)

9. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I was using AVG Free 7.5 for a while, the 8.0 release is too bulky to my taste. I understand the desire to go without AV. Any AV is getting larger and slower.
    And no warning about threats for me in a long time either.

Going without AV is a big step, and I decided to install Avast! Home Edition 4.8, but only the regular shield (on access scanner).
    Nice lightweight.

10. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

On my general use computer Avira Premium just found an infected website and allowed me to refuse connection. Good thing I use Firefox with NoScript. Little things like that cause me to run full-time scanners on a computer that wades out in the unknown. :cool:

SourMilk out

11. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

It´s like you mirroring my own behaviour...:)

I also understand the desire (and logic) of running without an AV, but as in your case, running without one is a very big step for me as well since I´ve used it since the early nineties, and breaking old habits is hard indeed. But I strongly advocating the whitelist approach and therefore realize that the blacklist approach AV scanners are using is yesterdays security approach, and not the future for securing your system. The only way I can see that this type of scanners can survive in the long run, is to change approach using a (almost as huge) database of whitelisted files/processes instead, and this move is already applied by some companies.

/C.

12. Long View

Don't quite follow. Would Firefox and Noscript have saved you ? if so why was Avira necessary ?

13. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Guess I'm a belt AND suspenders kind of guy. Besides, Avira Premium does other things like rootkit scans and spyware prevention.

SourMilk out

14. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Recently I reconfigured my user accounts by making them members of the power users group, as opposed to administrators.
    Running applications is not frustrating like when you run as limited user.
    A power user isn't allowed to make systemwide changes.

In addition I run TeaTimer, the registry monitor provided by Spybot S&D.

How does this sound to you?

15. L815

L815 Guest

I've been trying out Rising AV which seems to be very unintrusive with registry monitoring. I usually hate that sort of thing.

I actually was running free of AV for the past 2 days while deciding which AV to try next. To be frank, I didn't feel vulnerable at all. I've been using Opera and and have caught nothing in so long.

With the increase of Open Source projects, and freebie applications, I feel no need to be infecting myself with pirated versions of software.

16. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Simply DefenseWall + ThreatFire (with outbound custom rule) + Avast (webshield + P2P shield + internet E-mail shield). Off course TF does an AV check when an intrusion occurs. Avast checks only the incoming data streams. I also delayed startup of Avast and skipped the rootkit scan at startup. Runs light and fast on a XP SP3 AMD ATHLON 3900 with 1,5 MB memory.

The on execution and file acces check really slowed down my system, so with this in between solution I am running in swmming suit :D

17. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

For Win 98 and XP, I'm trying WinSonar, Tiny Watcher, Script Trap, Script Sentry, Script Defender, Kerio Personal FW 2.1.5 with special rules, a good HOSTS file, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol, (The very passive) Wincleaner Antispyware, TeaTimer, locking AUTOEXEX.BAT, RUNDLL, RUNDLL32, USER, USER32, SHELL, SHELL32 and COMMAND.COM files, and an AV scan on demand. You guys gave me som VERY good ideas! Thanks.

Dave

18. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Right now I am running Defensewall, Prevx 2.0, Windows Defender, and Returnil with Superantispyware on demand. No Av installed at all. I feel fairly safe with this setup.

19. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Recently took off another layer of clothing :D
    I'm feeling cold, but I'll try to hang in there, as I hope not getting the flu.

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Hurst, based on your sig, you look like you still have plenty of layers of clothing to keep you warm.;)

21. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Well, if we just talk "real-time", i'm layering off.
    on-demand is another story :p

22. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

You have already received much advice here but here FWIW are my thoughts:

1) If you don't have 1 get a H/W FW in front like a well configed router
    2) No one can force a user to use any security SW, just know the risks
    3) If you surf the dark side, rethink this naked idea
    4) For on demand with zip AV's installed, go main line vendors, KAV, Bitdefender, and yes Norton and McAfee.
    5) If you do surf dark side scan daily, otherwise weekly should be ok.

I thought streaking went out in the 70's:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.