Thinking of getting Sygate Pro firewall...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Shootingblanks, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shootingblanks

Shootingblanks Registered Member

My subscription to mcafee 7.0 is up and I am thinking of going with Sygate Pro for a firewall. I currently have a netgear MR814V2 Wireless router for a hardware firewall. I will be purchasing NOD32 for my AV software. I have Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Adaware om my computer. I also have the Microsoft SP2 Service Pack installed. Is this sufficient in a layered security setup? Lastly, how does NOD32 and Sygate Pro firewall work together? Thanks for all the input. Your input is greatly appreciated.

2. Shootingblanks

no suggestions :(

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Shootingblanks hello.

I use NOD32, Ad Aware, with XP Sp2. I use Kerio 2.15 for a firewall behind a router.

I trialed the Sygate free version out of curiosity and had no conflicts with NOD.

It sounds like you have a good setup. I would say go for it! :)

4. jag1967

jag1967 Registered Member

sb

In the past I've used nod with syg pro (xp sp1) with no problems at all. Some of the default settings on the syg f/w need configuring, but apart from that, I found it to be very stable

good luck.

jag

5. Shootingblanks

6. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Shootingblanks,

One potential issue with Sygate is that it cannot limit access to any proxies running on your system (see their FAQ on this). This means that malware can send data out through the firewall using such proxies - although it is most critical for HTTP proxies (like Proxomitron or WebWasher Classic), NOD32's IMON email scanner could possibly be exploited in this fashion (anyone know if it runs as a proxy?). If this concerns you, consider Kerio or Outpost instead.

As for the rest of your setup, you have the basics covered. I would suggest ditching Internet Explorer (and using Firefox or Opera instead) though - the many vulnerabilities it has will not be blocked by firewalls or anti-virus scanners (the spyware monitors will help with the common exploits but cannot cover all the bases). A web filter (like Proxomitron or WebWasher) would be a good addition also since it can filter out abusive HTML and limit the amount of data sent out by your browser (check a site like BrowserSpy to see what data websites can harvest).

Finally, if online privacy is important, consider using an anonymising proxy (that encrypts data between your PC and the proxy itself) - this will prevent your ISP from logging your online activity (sites visited, etc) and websites from knowing your IP address/location. A forum search should turn up a few choices.

7. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Shootingblanks, and welcome to Wilders. :)

I use Sygate (free) along with a router, and also have NOD32 v2.12.2 on XP-Home SP1, and I've experienced no conflicts between them, or any other security app or program.

You could always try the free version of Sygate first to see if you like it before purchasing the Pro version. For me it is an easy firewall to manage, you just have to make sure you uncheck server rights for any application's first time connecting to the net, since Sygate does give all applications server rights by default.

Regards,

snap

8. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Paranoid2000,

We must have been typing and posting at the same time. :D

Good point about Sygate and proxies. Yes, that hasn't been fixed yet, and if Shootingblanks was thinking of using something like Proxomitron, or WebWasher, then maybe another firewall would be a better suggestion in that case.

Regards,

snap

9. controler

controler Guest

shootingbalnks?

I don't see an AT listed on your sofdtware list. Do you have one?

Bruce

10. Shootingblanks

after paranoid2000 post, I have been looking at possibly considering outpost pro for a firewall instead of sygate. I am using firefox instead of internet explorer. Is Outpost pro considered on of the best software firewalls?

11. jag1967

jag1967 Registered Member

As I've learnt, the "best" f/w depends how you configure it, ie. how capable you are.

Some very useful reading can be found here
    http://www.firewallleaktester.com/

jag

12. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Both Sygate and Outpost are good firewalls.

The best software firewall for you depends on a number of things.

You need to assess your needs considering things like: other set up issues (ie. home network), who will be using the system(s) it is deployed on, user habits/experience/knowledge, applications used, what features are you looking for in a software firewall, what other measures are in place and one that you and/or other users are comfotable with configuring properly and securely.

Regards,

CrazyM

13. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

I'd agree with the points made above - any firewall is only going to be as effective as its configuration, so having a user interface that you are comfortable with is one of the most important criteria.

No firewalls are perfect, each have their weaknesses - with Sygate it's local proxies, with Outpost it's lack of proper FUS (Fast User Switching) support and conflicts on some systems (HyperThreading and Data Execution Protection with AMD64 processors seem to cause the most complaints). Kerio seems to pick up criticism for resource usage with some recommending 2.x over the current version 4.

Every firewall can be downloaded on a trial basis, so if possible check each one out (take a full image backup first - or create a System Restore Point on WinXP in case of problems uninstalling) and post your findings here. Checking out the related support forums can also give a good feel for current issues.

(BTW for Outpost, the Web-Hiker's Guide to Outpost Firewall is a good introduction - while it covers the old version 1, most of it applies to the current version 2 also. For Kerio, the instruction manuals downloadable from their Firewall Manual Page should be a good place to start).

14. Shootingblanks

thanks again:)

15. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

May I suggest an alternative?
    Kerio firewall is good enough for any home user.. that it's free and the newer version lets you preview some great options is nice, but it does have the facility of monitoring EACH connection attempt made on your PC. You can decide for each case/attempt whether the connection should be allowed or blocked, and whether this action should be automated the next time on, courtesy the rules.
    The point is, you don't need to manually configure the rules at one time, every time you activate a program, you can configure it. Also, it has very few conflicts (only the new Zone Alarm conflicts with it, I run 3 firewalls at a time).
    The features it lacks, though, are component control (for dll files the programs use) and the ability to stop a program from opening a port in "listening" state - it only steps in when a connection attempt is made. I think I can send a copy of some pre-configured rules, if you'd like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.