Things that DO NOT need net access?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Slovak, Jul 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

What are some things, services etc., that DO NOT need net or internet access on a w2k system? I would like to know so when I try this Netveda firewall I know which things to say no to.

2. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Bump!

3. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

When I set up my ruleset in Kerio, I started with nothing and let Kerio alert me, and I gave Services.exe permission for DHCP and DNS. Only one other thing tried out - I forget what - might have been plug-n-play, which I denied. So, DHCP and DNS are the only rules that permit Services.exe on my machine.

EDIT: when a service wants to connect out, you have to decide if it's necessary or not, ie, is it a service you need or want. If not, then you can block it. If in doubt, research the service, or block it and see if something squawks and complains.

-rich

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  4. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Might be easier to say which ones DO need net access. On a Win2k system I'd say Services.Exe needs access (for DHCP and DNS), and Svchost.Exe possibly for Automatic Windows Update if you use it. Otherwise, nothing much else needs access typically.

6. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Slovak..... in addition to Brian's :) link, a lot of people use SYSINFO.ORG ~ START UP APPLICATIONS LIST for information on thousands of start-up services, .exe etc. and if you have any trying for access to net, check them here.

Very comprehensive, simply type in the name and hit search, but be prepared for lots of reading ;)

See pic, for example.

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

7. tom772

tom772 Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.