These Specs On Adapter Work For USA & Overseas?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by DasFox, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I was looking at some specs on a hard drive adapter that said this for the adapter:

Heavy Duty, UL listed, 2.0A external 110C-240V autoswitching AC adapter provides drive power

http://www.newertech.com/products/usb2_adaptv2.php

So I take it I can use this just fine in the UK too, no need for a volt adapter?

THANKS

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

No need for a "voltage converter" however, you will need a plug adapter so you can plug it into the wall.

Do understand this is NOT for connecting drive enclosures to overseas power - this device is to connect drives that have been removed from computers and enclosures for quick file transfer and the device just happens to support universal power.

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Not sure I understand what you mean about connecting drive enclosures to overseas power... :blink:

4. Bill_Bright

You opened by saying you wanted to connect your hard drive to UK power. Hard drives are not connected to UK (240VAC) power or US (110VAC) power. Hard drives are connected to 12VDC (inside the computer case) from the computer's power supply, which does all the 240 to 110 power converting.

But, a drive "enclosure" is a box that houses the hard drive and sits outside the computer case. The enclosure will have its own power supply and will connect for data transfer to the computer via a USB or external SATA connector. The enclosure (with its own power supply) will convert and supply the necessary 12VDC power to the drive.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  5. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

You misread, hehe...

I never said anything about connecting a hard drive to UK power, I said, 'I was looking at some specs on a hard drive adapter'

---> An adapter, I just wanted to know about the specs on the adapter was all... :D

6. Bill_Bright

I did not misread - you did not explain what you really wanted, then you posted a link to an adapter for data, not power - leaving the question of how to power the drive - which I explained.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.