Thermaltake power supply

Discussion in 'hardware' started by the_sly_dog, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_sly_dog

the_sly_dog Registered Member

hello fellow wilders
    I purchased of a friend a thermaltake toughpower 750w psu, The thing is the back atx logic on/off switch doesnt seem to be functioning, u can set the back logic switch to off and hit the front power switch and the pc will still switch on ...set the logic switch to the on postion and the pc will still turn on if u hit the front power button on the pc,
    i have taken the power supply out as i am not sure if the power supply is safe to use......
    i did use it for about 3 hours before i noticed it wasn`t functioning because my pc frooze up and i tried to turn it off using the power switch and nothing happened...

is it safe to use could it be just the switch is broken or could it be worse

many thanks

Not really been around here for a while.. me and my girlfreind not long had a baby boy life has changed alot now ^.^

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Best bet probably is take to a shop to get it tested, or boot into BIOS-> Hardware monitor, and check the voltages. Look for too high/low and excessive fluctuations. Another thing I noticed before my previous psu failed was a noticable, steady high pitched whining sound from my speakers. With my new unit there's no noise at all. The voltages were fluctuating a lot. Also, is it hot to the touch, even under light loads? That's a bad sign, too.

3. the_sly_dog

hi there chap no whinnng, psu is not hot either, i plugged it back up again checked bios all voltages look ok.. i guess its just that atx logic on/off switch that is broken or failed.. the psu powers up my 4870x2,i7 975, water cooler, perfect played for like 3 hours..

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I'd say you're good to go :)

5. the_sly_dog

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  6. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Never trust electronics. PSUs are the most important component of your pc and if something goes really wrong it can take with it the rest of your hardware. Also electrical appliances that are not functioning as it is expected to do may be a danger for the rest of the house and the persons that live in. I'll repeat it...never trust electronics and electrical appliances, specially those that already present a problem. It might seem that it's just an on/off button but the point is that you don't know how extended the damage is and what could happen next.

7. the_sly_dog

nois please look at my loast post included the picture of the switch i am talking about thank you

8. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

So with my first custom build back in 2007, I decided not to skimp on the power supply.

I got a Corsair HX520W > http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article/2007/12/04/corsair_vx550w_vs_hx520w/

I could have got the larger HX620W, but I didn't think it was necessary. I am no gamer. :)

9. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Voltages look good.
    Do a favor to your self and use this pc only when you're present ( I mean don't leave this alone for long periods of time ). Keep this PSU on if you have to but replace it as soon as possible. It looks that works correctly but you never know. It's not that I'm trying to alarm you, but the reality is one: faulty electronic appliances have no place in a house, specially when children are around.

10. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

11. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

It would appear the Master Power Switch is bad. Note that is NOT an ATX power switch as the ATX Form Factor standard does not require power supplies have one on the back. It is optional.

That said, it is there so you can easily remove the ATX required +5Vsb standby voltages whenever the PSU is plugged and, and the switch (if present) is set to disabled. It is supposed to be working therefore I would contact TT. Most of their PSUs are warrantied for 3 years, some for 5.

12. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Antec, Corsair, Thermaltake, Enermax, Zalman are among top notch PSUs which perform real good in tests done. When your video cards, CPU start doing heavy drain, these higher end PSUs, excel by keeping the voltage on the rails steady. They are specially appreciated by gamers and overclockers who regularly put them to test.

In your case the switch seems to be shorted out and therefore its causing this issue. What you can do if you are worried about this is to take it back for warranty as suggested or just turn off your mains supply if you feel it to be necessary.

13. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

sorry to feel different but imo most thermaltake's are junk. they are no where is the same league as corsair, the higher antec true new's, enermax, and others. even the zalman's are not all that great. if you want lots of great psu info and help with more technical things look up jonny guru forums. i own corsair's who is normally my first choice, etasis, a true new 750, silverstones among many others.. my own system right now uses a corsair 850hx and its simply awesome.

agreed be a bit careful with the thermaltake and i also agree i would only use it while you are present..

14. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

To dismiss industry's top notch PSU makers based on personal preference and word of one guru is a bit far fetched I must say. Why not go for tests done at xbit labs, tom's hardware, anandtech etc. and see how these PSU's performed when tested to extremes. Antec , Enermax, Zalam and Corsair all did well, usually Enermax or Antel would be edging others out by little bit of a margin, nothing significant. The top PSUs all do well in these tests, even some models of cheaper Cooler Master did surprisingly well in some tests.

15. the_sly_dog

Hello guys after some thought i ditched the thermaltake powersupply...... it was between a ocz modxtreme and a corsair decided to go with the corsair hx1000w modular :thumb: :thumb:

so now :
    i7 975
    128gb ssd
    2x285gtx nvidia
    watercooling
    Asus p6t mobo
    antec 900 case
    corsair hx1000w modular psu
    12gb ddr3 1333mhzs

everything is working perfect thank you guys for all your help.... plus i do feel safer now :thumb: :thumb:

that corsair psu is very nice indeed well worth the price just will be eating spam for the next 6months :oops: :oops:

16. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

You have taken the right decision. Congrats for your choice (psu) and your setup. Great machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.