There are times Firefox 1.5.0.1 freezes and I have to reset my pc..

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Did you experience some occasional freezed or hangs on the latest firefox 1.5.01? :mad: o_O

What should I do to prevent this from happening again? :'( :p o_O :(

Attached Files:

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'm not trying to offend. This is what I did. I got tired of lockups, crashes & memory leaks in FF. But I liked a lot of the extensions.
    I went back to Opera. When I custom made my current OS (XP vlk SP2) with nLite. I haven't installed FF, it's been over 3 months. Don't miss it. Better performance with Opera. Much better. There were extensions & functionality in FF missing in Opera. I went to the Opera forum & have found as much or tweaks for me than FF. Though they're not called extensions. Ime FF is a toy compared to Opera.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

No. How many extensions are you using?

4. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I have had similar issues on my laptop. On my desktop, I have never had that problem.

I was assuming it had something to do with FireFox as well, but I can't part ways with it.

I have tried Opera and didn't really care for it. I don't like the interface nor the design of shortcut keys and toolbars. It took way too long for me to get it to look acceptable for me to surf and found quite a few sites that said "Not compatible with this browser" although it worked with FF. Not dissing Opera, I know it is a top-notch browswer, just not my cup of tea :)

I don't have that many extensions installed (less than 5) and it does freeze occasionally. An annoyance for sure.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Preliminary Schedule for Firefox 1.0.8 and Firefox 1.5.0.2 Release
    Link

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

you can hack Opera to change that, it involves the ua.ini file.

7. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Thanks, but that is way too much effort when FireFox looks and acts just like I want it to with minimal effort.

I did spend some time with it to get the right interface and feel so I could use it. I don't like the way it handles tooltips either (no big deal tho). I was just not that impressed with it. No offense to the die-hard Opera fans :)

8. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Nope, no problems at all. Does the same thing happend when you load Firefox in safe mode (you should have a shortcut named "Firefox (Safe mode)" )
    Or you can simply disable all extensions and see what happens.

9. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

Hi Sweater

Luckily I'm not having any such problems with 1.5.0.1.

But if I had then after making sure my extensions were all up to date. The usual steps are to disable all the extensions that aren't absolutely critical to your being able to surf safely.

Live with it a while & see if it makes a difference. If it does then gradually re-enable the remainder of the extensions until you identify if their is a problem one.

The googlebar extension was being blamed for some problems earlier on. If that's causing you problem try Googlebar Lite Googlebar Lite

If you can't find anything related to your extensions. The next step is often to try a fresh install.

After that if still no luck - you may have to accept your profile has become corrupted. Put a back-up copy of your profile in a safe place. Then delete the original and do a totally fresh install. Rebuilding your profile from scratch.

Good luck
    eyes-open

Edit: Just to add this assumes there is no other patten - such as opening .pdf links.

10. Upasaka

Upasaka Guest

Too right it freezes!!!!!!!!

This version of Firefox is a HUGE pain.
    It hangs,freezes ,closes down at random and when problems hit the memory is drained in a big way.
    This is happening on 2 different machines,my lads PC has no extensions in use and it drove him nuts,went back to v1.07 and no problem.

On my own machine it has driven me to distraction,have tried reloading,removed extensions,run in safe mode .........nothing helps.

I have also found that Firefox is still running despite the browser being closed,this happens very frequently,I have to use task mgr to kill Firefox.

I have never had problems prior to this update and have heard of plenty of other complaints.
    A friend is having the same issues on his Mac system, he is cursing that he changed to this version!

Don't know what the cause is but the older versions were faster and more stable.

11. tlu

tlu Guest

FF 1.5.0.1 works for me flawlessly. It is possible that your profile is corrupt - try to create a new one as described here and copy your data (bookmarks, password file etc.) from your old profile to the new one as detailed here. Since a corrupted profile is often caused by certain extensions, try to add your favorite extensions one by another and test your new profile thoroughly before adding the next one. Be careful that you install only the newest versions of these extensions - a couple of them were reported to have memory leaks which have been fixed in the meantime at least in Noscript, Flashgot and Adblock Plus (0.6.1.1.).

On the other hand, if you really have to reset your PC that indicates problems with your memory. You should check that with Memtest86.

12. nightingale

nightingale Registered Member

I too have had problems with the new firefox freezing or hanging at times and I have no extensions.:mad: This version sucks big time. Bring on the next one :ninja:

13. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

How about you give some examples of what sites you are having problems with. Also how many extensions do you have? How many tabs do you have open at the moment of the slow down/freeze?

I have no problem at all with 1.5.0.1. That is with using mmoy's builds as well as Pacifica branch builds.

One thing that I thought of you could try however. Go to about:config. Next look for "dom.max_script_run_time" Change the value to 10. Restart firefox after that.

Good luck.

14. GUI_Tex

GUI_Tex Registered Member

Firefox froze on me 3 times.. especially when I was downloading huge files bigger than 500 megabytes.. I have 69 extensions, When I have alot of tabs open firefox also freezes where it uses excessive amount of memory, I get a crash 1/10 times.

I should probably clarify that these occasions were all seperate, I download with minimal tabs open.

what does that do?

15. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

sometimes firefox or an extension will run a script. the value for "dom.max_script_run_time" tells the script how many seconds it has to complete before firefox asks the user to either let the script continue or stop the script.

16. tlu

tlu Guest

My goodness - that's what I call a distinct form of extensionmania :D. Are you really sure that you need all of them? I mean, it's quite obvious that with so many extensions the probability of incompatibilities is rather high - don't blame Firefox if it became unstable ...

17. Trooper

WSFuser is correct. And yes, 69 extensions is a bit well, over the top. I would start from scratch and install extensions one by one until you can figure out what is causing the problem.

18. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

GUI_Tex, id try using firefox safe mode (its in the start menu) and see if u still have problems. if the problems go away, try creating a new profile and cut back on the extensions. who know maybe some extenions conflict with each other or they have overlapping features.

19. GUI_Tex

GUI_Tex Registered Member

No imcompatibilities at all, all the extensions I have make my firefox complete.. :D :D They do make firefox slightly slower, but I can deal with that, since I have for the past few years, and I got used to it. But I do have a second profile with only 3 extensions.. ;)

I've seen some people with over 90 extensions, and way more themes.

I think I can say the main reason firefox crashes, or freezes is the memory usage, partly the extensions fault.. but mostly because something is eating all ram, i.e. norton scanning 2 gb, zipped file.. other than I have no problems most of the time.

thanks.. the script was set to 10 already.

20. Ailric

Ailric Guest

I have had Firefox hangs on all versions on different computers. Firefox would not load but the firefox.exe process was running in memory using about 16,000k of mem usage.

21. Trooper

Here is some info on Firefox memory issues and fixes.

Click

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Great link. :thumb:

23. Trooper

Thanks ronjor. :)

24. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I have 13 firefox extensions...:rolleyes: and I also uses my limited acct everytime I surf the webs. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.