The Wildman's Life Stories

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by wildman, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greyfox

greyfox Registered Member

This isn't the best photo but it's John Ball Elementary from the air.

Attached Files:

2. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

Gimme that Jawdrop smiley for a sec, BB !!!

http://bestsmileys.com/eek/7.gif
    Holy Blackcat !! :eek: That IS the
    coolest thing.
    Makes ya realize how small
    the world really is, and that
    2 complete strangers (in a way http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigs/misc_expressions/bigwink.gif ) can have so much in common !

Well Mrs. greyfox.
    Wildman will be blown away when he sees your photo !! :D :D :D

3. wildman

wildman Registered Member

http://emoticons4u.neotrek.net/cool/cool17.gif

Ya are correct, the Wildman is blown away. Who would have ever thought? Just goes to show ya never know what ya may come across. Hey I have also thought that I can not be the only one with life stories, so hows about some of yous writing some of your stories? Hey as I said ya never know what ya may come across.

Thanks
    Wildman

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Next to yours Wildman, mine is pretty uneventful. ;) :D

snowbound

5. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Ditto! :)

6. wildman

Re: The Wild man's Life Stories

[​IMG]

I don't know, what do you think folks? I thinks we has got two rascals whos a hiding some juicy tid bits from us. Shalls we smokes ums out? I know theys got some good stories in there some wheres. I says bring out dem stories ya ornery critters.

Thanks
    Wildman

7. wildman

http://www.smileys.ws/sm/grinning/00000028.gif

O.k. Another from the Richland Wash days. I do not remember the year nor even the time of the year, but the Wildman was a young pub an was attending the Pasco county fair, he was playing bingo, an the grand prize was a water spaniel puppy. The Wildman had one number left (Black out bingo) when some adult yelled bingo. The Wildman was beside himself an began to weep an wail, the adult asked how many number do you have left? In a weeping voice the Wildman replied "one", the adult handed me the leash with the dog on the other end. I latter found out he had donated the dog to begin with. The dog was a female an was already named Sue sue. At the time we lived in government housing (rather old, but as I remember big). The bathroom was at the end of the hall, an the door did not fully close or latch. Now my mom till the day she passed loved her baths, and would pour one an then of course climb in. I can remember as if it were yesterday, that as soon as the water stopped mom would yell "The real name for the Wildman, get this damn dog out of here". Yup Sue Sue was for sure a true water spaniel. There were times when the Wildman couldn't find her, an the first time it happened the Wildman went into a major panic. My dad came home an I was frantic, all he said was don't worry I know where she is. In his company truck an down to the river we went, sure enough in the middle of the river swimming away was my dog. When we left to go to India we left Sue Sue with my maternal grandmother. Sue Sue lived to a ripe old age for a dog, but you never could keep her out or away from water.

Thanks
    Wildman

8. wildman

:eek: O.k. this one the grandkids like. In July of 1967 with Uncle Sam's Army the Wildman was sent to Viet Nam. The Wildman wound up in Saigon at a small compound in the corner of Tan Son Nut AB. The Wildman also wound up being an M.P. (long story, an that may be told in the near future). Now the Wildman had not been there very long, when he was posted to guard duty an found himself in a bunker at night watching a ditch (actually open sewer). The area had tall grass around it an it was somewhat difficult to see everything. This night the Wildman heard what he thought was a rustling noise. Yup I know you are supposed to say "halt who goes there an all that stuff", but the Wildman said to hell with that. I just said something to the effect if you are friendly you had better show yourself. Nothing but rustling, so the Wildman opened up with his M-14, surely some one would now check on the ole Wildman, ya right! The next morning when the Wildman was relieved he was told to report to the orderly room. When the Wildman walked in there was an elderly Vietnamese gentleman talking a mile a minuet. The first Sergeant asked the Wildman why he had destroyed this individuals property. The Wildman was totally confused, until the first sergeant asked the Wildman if he had ever eaten water buffalo, because the Army was going to have to pay for one. Yup the Wildman had done shot himself a water buffalo. Hey wasn't to bad an a Bar-B-Q was enjoyed by my outfit.

Thanks
    Wildman

9. BeetleBoss

BeetleBoss She who posts lots of <I>Smileys</I>

LOL ........ those good!! [​IMG]

10. greyfox

I hope you are saving these stories somewhere on your computer, so you can have your life stories for your grandkids to read someday.

11. wildman

:D Hadn't thought about it, but not a bad idea. They are members here, even though the Wildman (Grandpa) has told them if they go else where except the rhyming game (he will box their ears). Might have them copy the stories to their computer. Some of these stories are ones the grandkids have asked the Wildman to tell all of you.

Thanks
    Wildman

12. wildman

:eek: O.k. This one is one that Mrs. Wildman asked me to tell.

In 1971 when I once again joined the Armed Forces, we found ourselves residing in base housing at Otis AFB Mass. The house was a duplex an of the WW II era variety, it had three floors consisting of a full basement, kitchen an living room an two bedrooms upstairs. Now when we moved into the place, the family leaving told us that they had a cat but they could not find it. They asked us to please try an locate it an provide it with a good home if we didn't want it. As time passed we sort of forgot about this. One night (late) the Mrs. Wildman awakens the Wildman and tells him she hears strange noises coming from down stairs, so armed with her rather deadly high heel shoe, the brave Wildman goes downstairs to investigate, of course he finds nothing. The noises continue each night for an extended period of time, then Mrs. Wildman remembers the cat, so she places food out, sure enough each morning the food has been eaten. O.k. one night we hear the noise so downstairs we go, an in the kitchen we spot this wild mangy looking cat, the Mrs. Wildman quickly shuts the door an proceeds to call the base Security Police. Whomever was on duty that night had a hard time believing that the Mrs. Wildman was not inebriated (now this in itself is funny as the Mrs. Wildman does not partake of spirits in any shape form or fashion) but said he would send someone to investigate. The neighbors must have thought that plunder, pillage an mayhem had taken place at the Wildmans dwelling when five squad cars showed up. The poor cat was captured an taken away, the thing must have weighed all of three pounds if that much.

Thanks
    Wildman

13. wildman

http://www.techhelpers.net/e4u/comp/comp04.gif

O.k. Some time in 1986 I think, while stationed at Reese AFB TX, the Air Force proceeded to try an upgrade it's military personnel system capabilities. This consisted primarily of installing an IBM Series-1 main frame computer. While this may sound like a simple task, I can ensure you it was anything but. The entire operation took the coordinated effort of quiet a few individuals. During this time the Wildman was the only one working in his office, an the requirements were for normally three people. During the height of all this confusion our squadron was scheduled for the Air Forces I.G. Inspection. The inspectors showed up. The Wildman was up to his (fill in blank) with trying to finish the main frame installation, so he just handed the keys to the file cabinets an office to the inspector. The Chief Master Sergeant who was tasked to inspect my office, just looked at me an proceeded to say words to this effect "son I have been with the Air Force going on close to thirty years now, an this is the first time any one has been this relaxed about the inspection". I told him what I was trying to accomplish an just didn't have the time for both. The inspection finished without the Wildman ever having been present for it, an I received an "Excellent" rating.

Thanks
    Wildman

14. BeetleBoss

15. wildman

http://www.smileys.ws/sm/confused/00000013.gif

While stationed at Sembach AB Germany during the late 1970's an early 1980's (unaccompanied tour) (Mrs. Wildman an daughter remained in the U.S.A.). On Saturday mornings the Wildman an a few of his friends would get up early an take the U.S.A.F. provided bus into the AB at Frankfurt, approx. 7:00 A.M. This bus ran once a day, an left from Frankfurt back to our base around approx. 1:00 P.M. Now if was a very easy thing as the bus would drop you off at the AB, approx. 10:00 A.M., you would then catch the local city bus which would take you to the airport, down to the lower levels of the airport, catch the subway an in no time you are in down town Frankfurt. We would spend all day there, an quiet a few individuals went into a panic when they realized that we would not make it back in time to catch the bus back to Sembach. No biggie, back to the airport, sleep on the benches, let the changing of the flight boards wake you up at approx. 6:00 A.M., into the bathroom pay your five marks for all the necessary things to shave an shower, down to the lower levels of the airport where all sorts of shops were located, have a cup of coffee an a pastry, back on the subway an once again into down town Frankfurt. Sunday we would make it back in time to catch the bus back to Sembach. Europe is a very different place to travel, an most Americans had never experienced this before. The Wildman loved to play this little game on unsuspecting individuals.

Thanks
    Wildman

16. wildman

:) The Wildman is very very happy. After a very long time he has once again made contact with what unquestionably was his best "mate" while attending boarding school in Canberra Australia. The following is a picture of my fellow boarders form that school at that time. The Wildman adds to this one. He is now starting to hear from others who are pictured here. The Wildman could not be happier about these turns of events. Just a little teaser for my friends here at Wilders, the Wildman is some where in the second row from the bottom of the picture. Some know the true identity of the Wildman, so no letting the cat out of the bag O.K.

Thanks
    Wildman

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  17. wildman

http://www.smileys.ws/sm/speechless/00000020.gif

In our division at Reese AFB TX was the sweetest lady anyone would ever want to meet. She had worked civil service for years, I think perhaps even before the Wildman was out of diapers. We all called her "mom", but her real name was Melba. Now this lady could flat burn a typewriter up, an her fingers flew over the keys, I don't know exactly what her speed was, but believe me it was fast, very fast. Now at the time our section officer was a female Captain, an quiet frankly she was a "rhymes with witch". She would have "mom" type up correspondence only to change it an have "mom" due it over, an this was not a sometimes routine. One day the Wildman saw "mom" in her office an she was near tears, our Captain was at it again. The Wildman said enough of this, "mom" I am going to show you how to use the computer an the word processing program that came with it. At first "mom" was reluctant, but once I showed her how she could save her file an make modifications to it, she was a big fan. Mom went on to bigger and better things, and our Captain wound up resigning her commission. Reese AFB is no longer active an I heard that "mom" had retired.

Thanks
    Wildman

18. BeetleBoss

19. wildman

:rolleyes: O,k., as I have already told in 1967 courtesy of Uncle Sam's Army the Wildman is sent to Viet Nam. Now I am supposed to go to a place called Me Tu (I'm not sure of the spelling for this one). Well the plane lands at Cam Ron Bay and the Wildman is herded into a reception center, he is told get on the C-130 over there, it is headed for Saigon and that is where you are going, here is you new set of orders. The Wildman was supposed to be an installer of radios into jeeps. The Wildman arrives at yet another reception center, they appear to be upset that the Wildman is there as they state that they don't need any more radio installers, but get on the 2 1/2 ton truck outside and will figure out what we are going to do with you later. The Wildman winds up at a small Army con pound in the corner of Tan Son Nut AB and has no idea what is to become of him. Now one thing the Army did do was brain wash one to read the bulletin board every day. The Wildman sees a little note that says "anyone interested in becoming a military policeman contact the installation commanders office". The Wildman did not walk over there, he ran. The commander (a full colonel) says that he is tired of the political hassle about who is to watch the con pound fence line (the Army or the Air Force) and he is starting his own police force on his con pound and asks if I am interested. Originally there were ten of us and we were the police on that con pound. About six months into my tour, the original ten of us were instructed to move to down town Saigon, as we were to now be the security force at the colonel's B.O.Q. (this turned out to be a five story hotel), there were high ranking officers living there, and we had quarters on the fifth floor. The Wildman finished the remainder of his tour at "The Ki Min Hotel". To this day the Wildman could not tell you what the designation of that outfit on Tan Son Nut was, only that he thinks it was a signal outfit.

For another time: The Wildman will tell how his father shows up at the hotel in Saigon.

Thanks
    Wildman

Last edited: Aug 28, 2005
  20. wildman

:eek: This is the continuation of the last story.

Now another thing that the good old Army encouraged was to write frequently to your loved ones back home and especially the parents. Now the Wildman complied with this on a regular bases. I had written to the parents about moving from the con pound on Tan Son Nut to the hotel downtown, and told that this was unquestionably the best assignment that I had thus far in the Army. My father didn't buy it for a second and thought that I was lying, had been wounded and was in the hospital and didn't want to tell them. This at the time was unknown to me, I had complied with the directives, and thought the parents would be happy for me. Dad went to a company called Morrison and Kanustain (Not sure of the spelling), told them his qualifications and asked if they needed anyone in Viet Nam. He was hired on the spot, and was on the plane to Cam Ron Bay within that week. Meanwhile the Wildman is at the hotel doing his job. One day the bell hop comes up the five flights of stairs to the Wildman's room and tells him he has a visitor in the lobby. The Wildman did not believe this at first and thought one of his fellow soldiers was trying to play a joke on him, but the bell hop was instant, so the Wildman asked o.k., male of female? The reply was male, o.k. what color of hair? the answer was white (my dad had totally white hair). The Wildman now started down the stairs, about half way down he meet his father who was coming up. Dad's comment was "why you little ****, I guess you weren't lying after all". Dad would catch a hop into Saigon quiet often, and the Wildman and he were known to have closed a few drinking establishments. Dad remained in Cam Ron Bay after the Wildman's tour had been completed, he was responsible for completely redoing the runways at that base. He was also designated with a GS-18 rating.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :rolleyes: :eek: :D :p

21. greyfox

Hey Wildman,

Good stories! FYI, the name of that company was Morrison- Knutson or Knudson. I think my father-in-law worked for them too. They were a big outfit and worked all over.

22. wildman

o_O Thanks. The Wildman is trying to fire up what few brain cells he has and remember the names of these companies. I may have forgot to mention Raymond in conjunction with this for I think it was Raymond, Morrison & Knudson (again not sure of the spelling). Another construction company of the time I think was Brown & Root (again the spelling could be off). The one dad worked for the most however was Kaiser. This one I know about.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :) :-*

23. wildman

:) Some know and some may have guessed that the Wildman wants to be like "Peter Pan" and never grow up. The Wildman likes children, and likes to interact with them especially the toddlers.

Miramar Marine Air Base is about 12 miles form where the Wildman resides and it is at this location that he and Mrs. Wildman do their grocery shopping at the commissary. Mrs. Wildman does not like to take the Wildman with her because the Wildman almost always acts like a kid in that place. The Wildman always looks for the toddlers and then starts a conversation with them. I only do this at the base, sadly some would not take well to the Wildman doing this, but military people have sort of an unspoken bond. This one day the Wildman spots a boy about two or three sitting in the basket crying and screaming that he wants a "nana". The mother is fit to be tied. The Wildman looks at the toddler and says "Na you don't want a "nana" you want an orange. The toddler screams "nana", the Wildman then starts to name all the fruits he can think of, apple, pear, peach, plumb, pineapple etc, every thing but banana. The toddler stops crying and proceeds to say "o.k. cookie". There were a few people cracking up, including the Wildman. The mom was now happy by the way. The toddler wound up with a snack bag of Oreos.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :D :eek:

24. wildman

:rolleyes: Another along the lines of the previous one.

While stationed at Reese AFB (Lubbock Texas), as the Wildman has already told, he was the NCO in charge of the Military Personnel Data System. Now this did not mean that the main frame was under the control of the Wildman, that was handled by the base Data Automation office, and the Wildman had a customer service representative at that agency, a civil service employee. The end of the month was always a busy time for the Wildman and his representative, as this was usually when data reconciliation and program releases were accomplished, it was imperative that the requirements be done in a timely manner. If this were not done, the system would not be functional for the next coming month. One month my representative could not make it in one the day we had scheduled to preform all the required tasks. Teresa was a single mom and could not find a sitter for this day. The Wildman really need her and for the tasks to be accomplished at this time. The Wildman had Teresa's home phone number, so he called her up, she told the Wildman she could not find a sitter, and her three year old son was being a holy terror. The Wildman told her bring the boy to your office, I am sure we can find someone to watch him. Reluctantly Tresa agreed, when she arrive her son was throwing a temper tantrum and Teresa was ready to strangle the kid. When the Wildman arrived, the child was on the floor banging his feet and fists, so the Wildman decided to get down there with him, and every move the kid made the Wildman copied. I can still remember it when the child said "mommy that man is crazy".
    Quiet a few of the individuals in Data Automation agreed with that kid.

Thanks
    Wildman

25. wildman

:rolleyes: O.k., per the request of Id Girl this story is told. Id Girl is my granddaughter.

The Wildman likes to frequent eating establishments, and one of his favorite spots is The Home Town Buffet. As you know the Wildman likes to interact with toddlers. This one time the Wildman spots two youngsters at a table and each was approx. 2 or 3. The Wildman asked each what was their most favorite food, thinking it would be in the desert category. The Wildman could not have been farther off, for each said "string beans". The Wildman looked over at the serving table to see a rather embarrassed mother when the boy yelled out "yo women bring the string beans".

Thanks
    Wildman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.