The Way Forward Look n Stop

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by TerryWood, Jun 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

I am an avid reader of forums such as this because there is much to learn.

I notice some elements of criticism creeping in to this forum concerning the perceptions that the progressing of Look & Stop "has lost momentum". There is to those loyal supporters perhaps a feeling that the competitive edge in the market place is leaving Look n Stop a little jaded.

That said look n Stop is still working still protecting ones computer without a hitch.

So with a little clarification one can still have the latter without the former criticism, implied or otherwise.

So, Frederic why not tell your supporters what the game plan is for L n S. There is nothing to lose but everything to gain?

Terry

2. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

In other words we'd sure like an update on how things are going...:D

3. alfa1

alfa1 Registered Member

4. Delgado

Delgado Registered Member

Why is it that everyone in this World wants updated all the time?

If a things not broke, why fix it? Look n Stop firewall works, is light on system, and keeps out nasties.

Sometimes a good product is ruined by constant tinkering and changing, as can be proved by Kerio Firewall, and Norton Products. My advice is to stick with Look n Stop if its working, and enjoy your computer, and stop worrying about updates all the time.

:thumb: :thumb:

5. alfa1

alfa1 Registered Member

your reasoning is too much simplistic, imo...:rolleyes:

Infact there are still many things to arrange in LnS, for exemple
    1) to define a "univocal way" in order to intercept leaktests
    ( = vulnerabilities... see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=54543.
    Ok that these beta features are implemented in 2.05p3 but as Frederic himself said:

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/3839/15dv1.jpg

Moreover from the tests i made and as I have also read on this same forum, LnS has a strange behavior:
    sometime it passes the Leaktest, sometime it fails..:rolleyes:

2) to define a correct way for service start mode https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=46088

3) MORE IMPORTANT:
    to listen to the suggestions of clients for a real customer satisfaction
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=10712

in particular: packet-filtering strength, a better implementation of TCP SPI mechanism still anchored to 256 simultaneous connections open/half open...

And so on....

To sum up:

I LOVE LnS but i'm afraid of his development is too slow especially in the light of the pressures that arrive from the outside....

And then a question:
    on this channel one is only obliged to speak well about the product or it can also move some constructive critical?

Sorry for my poor enghlish,
    A L'n'S user....

6. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

The fact that it is still in beta is enough to be a reason for most, no complaints from me though and it should really stay in beta for as long as it takes to fix problems.

Delgado, I agree that usually heap of changes doesn’t go good with many, and we don’t like to think about having our beloved small sized all-time favourite speedy firewall turn bloatware.

And though I say this I do not think that any security product should stay on pause indefinitely, and it should be improved in couple of areas or it’ll be left behind soon enough now with other parties coming out lately with new interesting firewall products…

As for ‘things not broke, why fix it?’ Well ‘List of active applications’ doesn’t seem right… See attached image, 15 additional pages that include only ‘Yahoo! Messenger’ entries, normal?

Attached Files:

7. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have to add my thanks that others do beta test the software for us and I am prepared to wait until the beta stage is over.
    I admire anyone who can test ready for the home user to use with the least bugs, my main worry is that I need a software firewall as soon as possible and I am very unsure if I should go ahead and install the current version as it stands and it will work with XP Pro SP2 on a dual core computer? The 2004 bit worried me.

LnS attracts due to the light footprint and this would be very sad to loose this status.
    I follow the forum posts and hestitate each time but now understand there would be more complaints if a new version was released full of bugs :(

8. j_o_m_g

j_o_m_g Registered Member

hi,
    what's the pressure that arrives from outside? which other firewalls do you appreciate?
    regards
    j_o_m_g
    <snip>

edited to remove the same old thing - that's about enough now - Detox

9. Delgado

Delgado Registered Member

Phantom stated "As for ‘things not broke, why fix it?’ Well ‘List of active applications’ doesn’t seem right… See attached image, 15 additional pages that include only ‘Yahoo! Messenger’ entries, normal?"

I must agree Phantom, that dosent seem right at all, but I have never experienced anything like that personally.

I think what I was trying to say was that far too many people get so involved with always having updated software, that they become obsessed with that, and therefore do not get other pleasure from their PC. The only purpose to switch on their machine is to check security all the time.

If you have a good firewall, and a good Anti Virus, go ahead and enjoy your machine as an entertainment centre. If I were Frederic, I wouldnt be pushed into releasing software until it was ready.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.