The VPN connection failed because the connection attempt timed out....

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mattdocs12345, Dec 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Anybody got an error like this? Im trying to connect to PIA VPN in Linux Mint Debian. But I have similar problems in other guest OSs. I did the following as per instructions:

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

There are more detailed instructions for setting up VPNs in Network Manager at "Setting Up VPN on Linux Workstation VM" in <https://www.ivpn.net/privacy-guides/advanced-privacy-and-anonymity-part-2>.

VPN connection attempts time out when something isn't set up properly ;)

Although Network Manager is easy to use when it works, getting debugging information from it takes a little work. First, you must edit its configuration file to maximize logging. Instructions for that are at "Viewing Network Manager OpenVPN Logs" in <https://www.ivpn.net/privacy-guides/advanced-privacy-and-anonymity-part-4>.

If you post the connection log, I can probably tell you what's broken.

3. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Thank you. I found out what the problem was. The school where my gf goes to censors the internet. They are blocking probably UDP ports or something like that. The VPN works fine for me at my house however.
    I find it interesting that the school went to such extent to block their students from accessing adult material. TOR still works....

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

You can use TCP instead of UDP, and use various ports for each.

Look in their config files for what's supported.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.