The Vault Development - Encrypt files

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by softtouch, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Thank you "softtouch", and thanks "Gerard Morentzy" for giving a more sensible explanation to the author (s) of the software in hand!;)

2. UISanity

UISanity Registered Member

So even if you send you money, like the nagware asks for - we still get nagged to pay?!

May be a good idea...

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

o_O I don't see where that is said at all ?? FWIW, if you donate, you have download access for a version without the donation request.

I donated and am glad I did. IMO, it is a program worth having. I don't use encryption all the time but it's nice to have it available when I need it.

4. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Softtouch is a fantastic coder, and he's obviously put loads of work in to creating these programs for very little in return. I can only assume he's a real human who has to put food on his table to survive, so the minimal amount for a no nag version is quite good value IMHO.

Thanks Softtouch.

5. MarkCheck

MarkCheck Registered Member

Academic completeness, I'd guess? XTS has already superseded it, and would be a better option.

Probably for the same reason truecrypt implements it - it's just a marketing gimmic. DriveCrypt do a similar thing with their "triple-Blowfish" option.

It sounds like a "good idea", but the reality is that it makes no real difference to security at all, and only serves to slow down encryption/decryption

6. MarkCheck

MarkCheck Registered Member

I didn't see anything in the thread mentioning a second version you could download.

So it's not freeware then - it's shareware; specifically nagware

7. Justin Troutman

Justin Troutman Cryptography Expert

Sure, XTS would be better, and a wide-block mode like EME would be even better than that, but I'm questioning the use of narrow-block and/or wide-block modes for this type of application; disk encryption, for example, where a MAC may not always fit (although I'm becoming less sympathetic to this), would be the type of application I'd think of for these types of modes. MACing the ciphertext of, let's say, CBC or CTR mode, would be good here.

Right; it makes little difference, and I've preached numerous sermons on that. To be honest, I'd much rather know that it was all a marketing gimmick, instead of unfounded paranoia. Then again, if paranoia leads to popularity, it all works out for the developers -- even if it is just a marketing gimmick to them.

8. softtouch

softtouch Registered Member

Announcement

Development related to all freeware products including The Vault have been stopped.
    Downloads have been removed and the websites will be closed / redesigned / used for other purpose.

Some products like The Vault *might* be released once again in future.

I will continue giving support and provide bug fixes for all the people who use currently any of my products.

I say thank you to all the people including n8chavez, han, 1boss1, and other who supported me.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.