The Use of CCleaner

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by marse.robert, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marse.robert

marse.robert Registered Member

Hi all.
    Specifically, are you available, Eric?
    I use CCleaner. I am concerned about an earlier thread in which a member argued the following:

"1. Install CCLEANER (to clean registry after uninstalling bloatware)
    2. Uninstall CCLEANER after cleaning registry (since its not advisable to clean registry when FDISR is installed)"

I am not too sure about the outcome of this discussion: my question, however, is.. can I not use CCleaner in my daily routine whilst FDISR is installed?

Regards,

Marserobert

2. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

The problem pertains simply to the registry cleaning function, not necessarily ccleaner, but could be any registry cleaner, and the risk of deleting any keys belonging to fd-isr. I use ccleaner all the time on a daily basis, to clean my hard drive. My view is simple when dealing with the registry, if you don't know what you are removing, then you shouldn't be removing it, that view has kept me out of trouble.

3. marse.robert

Hi Tradetime,

Many thanks for your response! Are you saying, when you run/analyse your C drive with CCleaner, you actively check each and every candidate up for deletion?

If this is the case, you would need a relatively high level of expertise to deal with the numerous candidates for deletion. From this argument, using CCleaner and First Defense-ISR in tandem would prove daunting to a "newbie" such as me? Then surely any application that alters the registry would be dangerous ground for the less experienced user - with respect to FDISR?

I am asking this question purely because I have recently experienced a catasrophic error! In one session, I had used CCleaner and RegClean - on reboot, I had lost all snapshots and Acronis True Image 10 had been deleted.

I am in the process (right now) of putting everything back from a clean install of Windows - I am looking at CCleaner and thinking!!!

Any advice?

Marserobert

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I agree with tradetime's post.
    Personally I never used the registry cleaner of CCleaner, because I never trusted it. I never used any other registry cleaner.
    However I will use one in the near future, but totally under my control, not for regular cleaning, like many users do, because that makes a registry cleaner "dangerous".
    Besides, I'm a "Total Uninstall"-user and a FDISR-user, if I use FDISR well, it will keep my registry clean enough. Before FDISR my registry was a MESS, but not anymore.
    For the rest CCleaner is a good cleaner.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  5. marse.robert

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your response. With respect, how can manipulating FDISR keep your Registry on top line? Assume a day's work/pleasure has taken place within the Primary snapshot. Assume you are happy with the way the operating system is working and you update the Secondary snapshot. Now, assume a week has elapsed and you have, faithfully, updated your Secondary from the Primary.

The Secondary's registry is now somewhat bloated and needs attention - cleaning and defragging. How do you circumvent this issue without the use of some registry cleaner?

I am very interested in what you might say! Incidently, how are you keeping, Eric? I hope all is well with you.

Kind regards

Marserobert

6. ErikAlbert

marse.robert,
    1. I don't have a rollback snapshot, I use a rollback archive for both snapshots.
    Rollback snapshots are constantly on-line, rollback archives are not.

2. I have an off-line snapshot, which has no internet connection, so no infections possible either.

3. My on-line snapshot is a frozen snapshot and is cleaned by its freeze storage during each reboot, including registry.

4. All my software are legitimate software and the ones I test in my frozen on-line snapshot are removed by FDISR during the next reboot, including possible infections, junk-files, registries, ...

5. I separated my data from my system and created my own folders.

I ran recently KAV, because I don't have any scanners anymore : "No threats found". That doesn't prove anything to me, because scanners are always incomplete, but it's a good sign. LOL.
    After running KAV one time, I rebooted and KAV was gone.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  7. marse.robert

Hi Eric,

I think I understand. However, throughout your last "tutorial" you provided a workplan that did not involve the concepts that you have just outlined.

Since we last communicated, I have satisfied myself with creating snapshots: updating those snapshots and archiving. Your last piece of advice suggested that I should not involve myself in offline and freezing - at this moment.

Eric, can I ask you to provide a further "tutorial" on what you are doing with FDISR? I really am interested in becoming more experienced with this super application.

One of the applications that I have been using "blindly" - completely blew me and my operating system out of the water. I would much appreciate your advice in what you are doing with FDISR.

King regards

Marserobert

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I use ccleaner to just clean up junk files. I just delete everything it finds and have never had a problem.

Never tried, and don't plan to, try it's registry cleaner.

9. ErikAlbert

I don't recommend anything to new users, except the classical setup of FDISR : work and rollback snapshot, because that is the best way to learn FDISR gradually and it's up to the users to find their own way.

I'm not sure if a frozen snapshot is good or bad. I'm still considering other possibilities and that takes time.

10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've also been using ccleaner alongside fd-isr for a while now with no problems. I regularly clean my system using ccleaner and its never affected fd-isr.
    You do have to be careful with other registry cleaners tho, for example, eusing's free registry cleaner by default will remove the registry settings for the fd-isr service rendering it non functional upon reboot.

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I use Reg Supreme Pro rather than CCleaner. I only remove what I recognize as junk. As an example, if someone sends me a U-Tube video via e-mail I'll see it in the reg cleaner and remove it. If I uninstall an app I'll see left in files and remove them. Reg Supreme allows me to back up removals so if I remove something I shouldn't I can restore it.

12. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

In some not all there is an option to exclude entries,in latest build CCleaner there is an option to exclude,but in mine copy its greyed out,i think its a bug.

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I've used CCleaner's Registry (Issues) Cleaner followed by RegSupreme without any problems.

14. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Use new Beta Ccleaner w/o registry cleaning. Some Advanced settings "Custom Folders" "Old PreFetch"...

Use jv16 2007 for reg cleaning. Just "Exclude $ISR" works fine.

YMMV

...screamer

15. ErikAlbert

A good registry cleaner requires minimum these functions :
    1. a registry backup
    2. a remove/fix function
    3. an ignore/exclude function with the same selection options as the remove/fix function
    4. an undo ignore/exclude function with same selection options as the remove/fix function
    5. folder settings to store backup-files and excluded registries on another partition than [C:], if you want them there.

I never found such a registry cleaner, the closest was Amust Registry Cleaner.
    For me it doesn't matter if I have an aggressive or safe registry cleaner as long I have these functions with full selection options.

16. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Hi marse.robert, actually I thought that's what I said rather precisely in my post, novices should not be poking around in their registry, there's really no need for it. I am far from a computer expert, I only enter the registry to delete keys from software I have removed from my system, and I seldom feel the urge to delete other things to see what happens, or because I can, or because some program told me it would be allright.

17. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

If possible i take porteble app.from the same product,many have no reg. entries and light on recources and actually way faster then their install bretheren.And they can put on a USB stick or whatever to carry around and play on whatever rig it plugged into.

18. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Always been intrigued by these portable Apps, but in the case of Anti-Virus etc, have never known how this works with regard to updating them with the latest defs.

19. marse.robert

Hi Huupi,

Could you elaborate on your suggestion? I am interested in your view.

Marserobert

20. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

There is so many going around this stuff,better look at this.......

http://www.portablefreeware.com/faq.php

21. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Ok
    I've tested CCleaner 1.40.52
    and the last freeware version of JV16 RegCleaner 4.3 ( at least that is the one I've got) In FDISR snapshots on XPHome.

cleaned with settings in CC see attached

I have used RegCleaner to clean-up/uninstall with no problems to date

No probs here so far.
    I do keep an eye on the entries, there is never too many I dont recognise

If you search here there are some warnings re CCleaner

REgSeeker and Eusing I tend to be more careful of :eek:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.