The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Chromium\User Data\Default\Bookmarks
    If I exclude this directory, will that solve my problem with bookmarks?

2. jna99

jna99 Registered Member

To be honest I'm not sure. I have used chromium based browsers, but haven't excluded any browser in Shadow Defender. Usually I save the page as html to another drive that is not included in the shadow mode. I only have C: in shadow mode.

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, but you could try that. But try to bookmark in shadow mode and see if the bookmarks are still there when you get out of it.

3. Overkill

No prob, thanks for helping

4. jna99

jna99 Registered Member

well at least from a security point of view, it is better to exclude only the bookmarks folder in SD, rather then the whole browser folder.
    If malware is active, it can only cause havoc in the places you have excluded.

5. Overkill

Could malware effect the bookmarks file?

6. jna99

jna99 Registered Member

I've never heard of malware doing that, but theoretically it could be that malware puts in some malicious links, maybe. But I think you'll be rather safe, especially when you use sandboxie as well.

edit: anyway, keep looking in this thread. You'll never know who comes along to give you some pointers. I can't give you any real solid advice, as I have never been infected or at least not seriously.
    I am in no way a security expert, but thanks to this forum I'm on my toes and speculating and theorycrafting about what is sensible or good security. like solving a puzzle almost :D

7. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

With all of the excellent comments about SD, I've desperately wanted to use this program. But I, too, have run into the lockup/freezing problem on my XP SP3 system -- and I've even tried several different versions. It doesn't happen all the time, but just when I think it may be OK, it happens again. Maybe it's just a conflict or incompatibility problem of some kind with my computer that I'm not going to be able to get around.

Oh well, I've tried:( .

8. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

Yes, that was exactly my experience too (always concerning version 1.1.0.325 on Windows XP SP 3). At that time I also corresponded with Tony (who was still active) about this issue but he had no explanation why it happened.

9. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Have you tried running Shadow Defender for a time with Windows system restore turned off?

10. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

What does that do -- and for how long?

11. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

Maybe it was always turned on under Windows XP. I do not remember exactly. (Now - under Windows 7 - I have it constantly turned off.)

12. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I'm not at all sure about this, but I may have discovered what was causing my problem. The lockup (or freeze) problem for me would always occur on a cold boot or even a reboot.

For a long time now, I've used Sysinternals PageDefrag as part of the normal startup routine on my XP machine. That app may have been causing the problem. It was only by accident that I discovered this. After installing SD again a few days ago to give it one more try, I noticed that my computer seemed to be booting up just fine. But for some reason, just yesterday I noticed that PageDefrag had somehow been deactivated and was no longer in my startup routine, so I reactivated it. Then the bootup problems started again. So I deactivated it again and all seems to be well again. Even at that, however, and as suggested above, 320 seems to perform much better than 325 on my XP system.

I'm not exactly sure what PageDefrag would have to do with this or how the two apps might be interacting (I do not have SD loading with Windows), but that's what seems to be going on. I should also mention that PageDefrag never caused me any kind of bootup problem when SD was not installed.

So at this point, I'm not yet ready to draw a 100% conclusion, but that's what I'm thinking right now. I guess time will tell.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  13. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

With all due respect sdmod, I believe that (in this regard) you are barking up the wrong tree. :p

Actually, System Restore is not continuously aware of system changes. It is dormant until a restore point is requested.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  14. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Well, the verdict's in... same old problem for me -- even with v.320. Had to reboot about six or seven times this morning just to get my system up and running. That scared me a little, so I thought it best to just uninstall SD.

I still have Returnil 2008 Personal and WTF 1.0 installed - both work great with no problems at all.

15. sdmod

Thanks Cruise, In that case I'll withdraw the earlier post so as not to confuse anyone .

16. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Although I reject the idea of System Restore conflicting with SD there's little doubt in my mind that there definitely are SD-conflicting programs (yet to be identified). :doubt:

Cruise

17. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi Cruise
    Just a thought on the problems people have might be something to do with what they exclude, causing confusion on reboot. :doubt:

Take Care
    TheQuest :cool:

18. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Can you elaborate on this a little.

19. cJ7

cJ7 Registered Member

Hi sir Tomaz..

I'm a SD user and I am running Shadow Defender v1.1.0.325 (feb. 23,2010) in my old laptop, windows xp sp3 32bit with no problems since my first install.. Actually its working okay with mine and got no problem..

My settings in SD are all uncheck (Administration) and I always enter shadow mode after boot up then exit shadow mode on shutdown.. This is what I am doing everyday.

I am not an expert but have u tried a clean install of Shadow Defender? I mean delete all old Shadow Defender folders and registry entries.. Maybe there is a conflicting files somewhere..

I also do not use exclusion lists and commit now in SD because I save my files on a usb stick.. Ahm this is all I can think of in order to help a little. I wish u could find the conflict sir so u could use SD too..

Best Regards,
    cJ

20. sdmod

Earlier versions of Shadow Defender had conflict problems with Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120% and in particular a file called sptd.sys which can cause the "blue screen of death"; Tony fixed in in later versions.

21. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi TomAZ
    I am meaning the Windows Registry.

I was thinking because SD, backs up the full complete registry without exception when in SM.

So in the case the exclusion being used [and commit now] on a reboot, there need to be a sort of automatic editing of the Registry, which could causes the problems at reboot. [causing confusion on reboot]

Because most problem in a M$ OS, if not all are to do with the registry.

I hope that make a bit of sense?

As I said it was only a thought, so please do not burn me for it. :D

Even though I have posted how to exclude difference programs or parts of them here and on the old SD Forum when members have asked how, I myself use neither the Exclusions or Commit Now options.

Take Care
    TheQuest :cool:

22. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Cruise, I believe that as well. Currently, I'm of the opinion that one of those conflicting programs is Image For Windows (IFW) and here's why...

When I first installed SD x64 on my Win7 x64 laptop it ran like a champ for several months. Then a month or two ago I installed IFW and then started experiencing a big problem upon enabling SD's shadow mode. IE9 would crash (it would totally lock-up and there was no way I could even close IE9)! At the time it didn't occur to me that I had just installed IFW, so I uninstalled SD resulting in IE9 running without a hitch.

Running without SD over the next week I really felt 'naked and exposed' without shadow mode, so I decided to try reinstalling SD. Lo and behold, IE9 now ran just fine with shadow mode enabled and so far I have not had any issues! So I'm now thinking that the SD conflict I experienced may be due to IFW (when installing it after SD). :doubt:

TS

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  23. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

It doesn't matter when SD is installed, meaning it is installed before IFW or after IFW because in UpperFilters the SD driver is always the last one and not the top most one. You can check this in UpperFilters.

Best regards,

24. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

aladdin,

If that's factual how do you explain my SD-conflict situation? Btw, how do I check-out the UpperFilters?

TS

25. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Dear TS,

Here is the registry key for the UpperFilters:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

You will find the driver for SD at the very bottom of the UpperFilters.

Best regards,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.