The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. bronline

bronline Registered Member

Shadow Defender - does it really work?

Before using Shadow Defender I've checked used space of hard disk. Next I've been using Shadow Defender for a while. Afer reboot I've cleaned disk using piriform ccleaner and check used space of hard disk. It was 2-3 MB bigger then before. That increase follows each use of Shadow Defender. I suposed it was temporary file, but it wasn't. Is it correct? Please help.

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Re: Shadow Defender - does it really work?

It is actually true, I've just run a test on my netbook and the difference was actually 84 MB. I don't know what to think about it except that perhaps these are fluctuations which in the long run may cancel out. I have used SD for long periods (although ever since I have Sandboxie, I use SD only on specific occasions) and if these differences had been adding up systematically I would have noticed after a while differences in GBs rather than MBs. Although I can't rule out such an event, I'm usually monitoring the amount of used HD.

Pity that Tony isn't available for an explanation. Thanks for reporting this behaviour, I'll keep an eye on it from now on.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Re: How to Exclude NOD32 Win XP - The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Can you explain why Sandboxie needs to be excluded?

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I personally think it is overkill. If you are testing malware it might give you a better sense of security. The beauty of Sandboxie is that you don't have to "exit shadow mode" so for normal work and security it is enough. SD hasn't been bypassed by malware so far, therefore it is very useful for very dangerous situations and to test programs that do not require a reboot.

5. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread

Well said! SB+SD has been a Malware-Resistant Combination! :thumb:

6. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Try to use System Explorer - feature "make the system snapshots" (files + registry) and than compare them...on my laptop I did not find any trace of the SD.

7. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

I personally use Sandboxie (paid) , Shadow Defender, Avast Pro 4.8, Keyscrambler Premium and Sygate Pro (old firewall)

I suppose keyloggers within the Shadowed session is the thing to think about.

and some info here re Sandboxie Sandboxie defeating keyloggers

8. marcelhata

marcelhata Registered Member

Hi Cutting_Edgetech, I use version 1.1.0.278, and windows xp, antivirus is the panda, when I plug a USB stick, after some minutes it freezes. It's not often that happens.

9. rebelscum0000

rebelscum0000 Registered Member

Re: How to Exclude NOD32 Win XP - The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

I am very sorry :oops:

You do NOT need to make any exclusions in SD for SandBoxie , Sandboxie is another layer of protection that plays nice with SD

Thank you

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I ran another test with my XP netbook as I realized I had System Restore activated. With System Restore off, the difference in used space before and after a shadow session is negligible (+ 0.4 MB compared to 84MB of used space with System Restore on).

I've also tested my Vista notebook without System Restore (I never turn it on with Vista) and again the difference was negligible (-0.23 MB of used space).

I've read several instances of virtualizers not being really compatible with System Restore (Returnil from memory, advises to turn off System Restore).

I can't be absolutely certain but the interaction of System Restore and SD could be the reason for the used space discrepancy.

11. bronline

bronline Registered Member

Thanks for help.

WIN 7 (32) - My "System Restore" is off.
    Added space (2-3 MB + 2-3MB + 2-3MB or 0,40 MB) is not a temporary files, logs etc. (piriform ccleaner can wipe it out).
    It's strange because if Shadow Defender should be able to protect your computer from any changes on system drive (include registry) why it leaves part of his earlier session.

12. rebelscum0000

rebelscum0000 Registered Member

Any good news about the has sums provided by the SD's staff ?

Thank you very much

13. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I actually just sent the e-mail so I hope to hear something back from them soon.

14. sdmod

Hi, just to be clear, we are not staff as such, we are just moderators and have no access to the internals of the site or business. I have given a list of downloads in one of my earlier posts on this thread which come from the Shadow Defender site directly, I only have access (in respect of the Shadow Defender downloads) to the same files as anyone else.

Here are the downloads again from my original post which were good and working when I first put them up ( only difference being (here) the urls cleaned up to read properly by another member)

Patrick (Shadow Defender Global Moderator)

ps If you are looking for a file/version that you know of that is not on my list, just use the xxtp://www.shadowdefender.com/download/ and add your version number in the same format as below

xxtp://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.1.0.275_Setup.exe

xxttp://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.1.0.278_Setup.exe

xxtp://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.1.0.280_Setup.exe

xxtp://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.1.0.313_Setup.exe
    xxtp://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.1.0.313_Setup(x64).exe

xxttp://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.1.0.314_Setup.exe
    xxtp://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.1.0.314_Setup(x64).exe

xxtp://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.1.0.315_Setup.exe
    xxtp://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.1.0.315_Setup(x64).exe

xxtp://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.1.0.320_Setup.exe
    xxtp://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.1.0.320_Setup(x64).exe

xxtp://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.1.0.322_Setup.exe

xxtp://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.1.0.323_Setup.exe
    xxtp://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.1.0.323_Setup(x64).exe

xxtp://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.1.0.324_Setup.exe
    xxtp://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.1.0.324_Setup(x64).exe

xxtp://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.1.0.325_Setup.exe
    xxtp://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.1.0.325_Setup(x64).exe

xxtp://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.1.0.326_Setup.exe
    xxtp://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.1.0.326_Setup(x64).exe

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  15. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I just want to say "Thank you" to the Shadowdefender "staff" for hanging in there and lending us a helping hand. :thumb:

Acadia

16. Cutting_Edgetech

sdmod, You have version SD1.1.0.326 listed above for download, but it is not listed on SD's website. Is this a mistake. I thought SD1.1.0.325 was the last build.

17. Serapis

Serapis Registered Member

Edge, the .326 build was in fact a beta rather than a final version.

18. ichito

ichito Registered Member

This version (326), despite the fact that beta, was stable in my lap...I had no problems. But they recomended earlier version and I came back to .325.
    I think the possible reason is a file created by SD on system drive called diskpt0.sys...in my lap it has 16,2 MB and sometimes I saw that the file is not deleted after reboot...sometimes I had 3 ver. of this file - diskpt0, diskpt0(2), diskpt0(3) - and I still don't know why. Now all is allways clear after reboot, but maybe many version of this file make a volume difference?
    BTW...you can check this thread also... https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=276558&highlight=diskpt0.sys
    --------------
    edit:
    removed some words...Edgetech it's OK? :)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  19. Cutting_Edgetech

Seems like I remember them saying that .326 caused freezing or a slow down when committing large amounts of data from the Shadow to the system partition. Don't quote me on that, but I seem to remember something about that.

20. Serapis

Serapis Registered Member

I have a suggestion, maybe Patrick could backup *all* available versions of shadowdefender executables to an external filehosting site and post their MD5/SHA1 hashes here in the first post or something so they remain accessible to everyone even if the site tanks.

21. sdmod

Anyone could download all the Shadow Defender files directly from the Shadow Defender site addresses that I have given and burn them to a cd etc, Shadow Defender is not a big app.
    I will probably host the files that I have at a later date when I find out what is happening re the domain.

update 13 Mar 2011... I have all the files on the list and probably a few earlier versions stored.

Patrick

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  22. monkeybutt

monkeybutt Registered Member

So I installed SD after sick of the issues Returnil was giving me and I have some questions. Don't get me wrong I'm not putting down Returnil, it just does not like my system?

I read that the Dev has gone MIA and that some of the members here were keeping the site up with donations, is that what the 35$ fee is going to?

Another thought is now that the Dev is missing how long will this program remain relevant? That is one reason I went with Returnil over SD.

23. sdmod

The 35$ you paid is not a donation to any cause, it is the cost of the software like any purchased software. Presumably the money goes into a bank account somewhere which may or not be visited by the developer or his representatives ( I don't know and that is not my business). The mods on the Shadow Defender site are just mods like on any site/forum, we do not have any personal interest, responsibility or insider knowledge to do with the business and do not represent the developer in his business or personal life in any way. There are many reasons why the developer may be absent from the forum but nobody really knows and as we have had no contact with him, anything we suppose here would be based on nothing more than conjecture.

Patrick (Shadow Defender moderator)

24. moontan

moontan Registered Member

even with a missing developer this program will remain relevant until Windows 8.
    if SD install on Windows 8 it's icing on the cake!

AFAIC, there is still no good competition to SD.

25. monkeybutt

monkeybutt Registered Member

Does not seem that way Moontan, SD in it's simplicity is brilliant and the fact that the guide takes about 2min to read and understand is amazing.

Another thing I did not know is it protects all drives, but I still have to wonder why did the Dev walk away? Was he bought out by some Gov, was there a fatal flaw in the design he found with no way to patch? I guess the only way to know about the last part is to ask the BH's, if in fact they would even tell the truth.

This is the main reason I went with Returnil myself, at least you have people trying to make that program more secure and stay that way.

I am under no illusion that any of these can not be broken or exploited, I just want a fairly decent level of security against the mass of the junk that's out there and does not turn a fairly powerful computer into something like an E-machine. Oh look, it just took an absurd amount of time for me to access my drives :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.