The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

@CloneRanger,

In addition to sdmod's reply, I might just add that Tony released 1.1.0.326 as a beta version. Personally, I think it's 'risky business' running any beta software on a production system!

Scott

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

So can we take that version 1.1.0.0325 and maybe some before are ideal and safe SD programs?

Thanks

Regards EASTER

3. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

I'd be inclined to forget the ones before because there were various bugs and conflicts in some earlier versions that were ironed out by 1.1.0.325.
    If there are any bugs in 1.1.0.325 I don't hear people mentioning anything and I think quite a lot of members are using it now.

In some earlier versions there were things like disappearing icons, programs losing settings, Nero becoming unregistered, and conflicts with Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120% and even Sandboxie but Tzuk and Tony sorted it out.
    Also earlier versions weren't as secure against the latest attacks.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thank You sdmod for that note of confidence and coming from one who really knows firsthand the difference between versions. I'm currently running .0320 but if i find it exhibits any conflicts or issues, i'll simply install .325. But so far everything seems very peachy with it.

Regards EASTER

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

That's good to hear :)

@ sdmod

Maybe they were system specific issues ? But i've never seen any, plus i've run various Serious nasties on here in the past, with no problems.

I didn't realise it's a Beta ! But Beta's can be stable/safe etc, and mine appears to have proved it is, so far anyway :)

@ EASTER

If you install v.325, let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the replies :thumb:

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well, unless i experience a BSOD which was reported in this version i think i'll let it ride. It's functioning picture perfect so far on my XP.

Thanks

7. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

If it's not broken then no reason to fix it

I ran 1.1.0.278 happily for ages but had a bad experience when I tried to install 1.1.0.323 after 1.1.0.322 on Windows 2000
    I installed 1.1.0.323 but tray icon did not appear and when I double clicked on any of the other shortcuts Shadow Defender would not open to the registration box or the main gui
    I tried an uninstall and re-install a couple of times but nothing...so....then I decided to revert back to previous version using the same process as above
    but Shadow Defender of any version would not install on my system apart from 1.1.0278.
    I looked in taskmanager and it was not there. It had installed start menu shortcut but it didn't connect to the program
    So I ended up using 1.1.0.278 on Windows 2000 (which was very stable for me) until I moved over to XP and have since used 1.1.0.325 (32 bit version)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks sdmod for sharing your personal experiences with them. I'm sure as this topic progresses that will be very helpful for other to learn of to.

Regards EASTER

9. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Can I install other time freeze apps on the same pc as SD and use at different times?

10. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

I don't see the point of using a light virtualization app other than SD. I really wanted to use Wondershare Time Freeze (WTF) because so far it is the only light virtualization app that can use RAM for the virtual system - and using RAM for the virtual system would save my SSD a lot of hits - but I have to say that this feature is very poorly implemented.

When I tried to install WTF on a system with SD and Rollback RX I was warned by the WTF installer that these programs needed to be uninstalled first. I chose to ignore the warning, the installation completed successfully and Time Freeze ran OK, but its protection didn't work - I don't know if it didn't work because I had Rollback or SD (inactive) already installed, it could well be the case. When I set the program to use system RAM and turned the protection on it took a full 10 minutes for the protection to actually kick in! This is absolutely ridiculous and shows how poorely written WTF is. Even when I chose to discard changes, those changes were NOT undone upon reboot. I love the idea of using RAM for the virtual system but the WTF implementation is very poor.

It's dead obvious that Wondershare don't have staff with the coding talent necessary to further develop the program. They keep selling the same version for at least two years now without implementing any fixes or improvements.

I've also tried Toolwiz Time Freeze and this one worked OK alongside SD and Rollback RX, but again there's no point using it if you already have SD. SD is still the only one that can undo certain rootkit infections, no other app ATM can do this.

11. Overkill

Well i'm glad you mentioned WTF cause i've been wanting to try it but I guess i'll pass...I actually had toolwiz installed for awhile before I learned about SD, so now my fav is SD...i'm happy to know that they can co-exist on the same pc.
    Would it be overkill to install RBRX?
    Thanks!

12. CyberMan969

You're welcome! As I mentioned on a previous post: I use Rollback RX, Shadow Defender and Sandboxie together and there are no problems. Each program provides me with differenent functionality and they all really complement each other. Have a look here for details of my chosen setup and its uses/benefits:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2020687&postcount=111

13. Overkill

Cool, I like how you explained your different snapshots...very convenient indeed!:D

14. lurker20

lurker20 Registered Member

Can I still be able to purchase SD now? I have this doubt since it was not actively developed. Do I have to use this forum for any issues?

15. CyberMan969

Personally I wouldn't give any money to the unknowns who silently keep selling SD without providing any form of support whatsoever!

16. Oremina

Oremina Registered Member

Whilst I hear what you're saying CyberMan969, having recently d/l'd 325 (32 and 64 bit..... thanks a lot ShadowDefender (post #680), much appreciated), if after the trial period of 30 days I want to keep them installed, what choice do we have but to trust the "unknowns" and purchase the licence? Seems like Hobson's choice to me...take it or leave it!

Regards

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  17. CyberMan969

I wouldn't buy directly from the SD website, but then again I'm paranoid! Get it from here instead, they're part of Digital River:

https://www.regnow.com/checkout/cart/item/39TD4QD-BAZQE7

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  18. Overkill

Can I take SD,SB & RBRx off of startup or is it best to keep them in startup?

19. Oremina

Thanks for that, but doesn't give me anything but an Order Form page, empty and no links to click on. Possibly my security is stopping something.... :)

20. Oremina

Thanks Patrick, much appreciated.

21. Oremina

To both CyberMan969 and sdmod - many thanks for your courtesy and kindness!!

22. CyberMan969

Try this link:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,94761-order,2/description.html

Just click the Buy Full Version button and you will be redirected to the page I linked on my previous post - hopefully it'll work this time. Make sure you delete the Extended Download Service that they bundle along with SD (unless you want it of course).

23. CyberMan969

Sandboxie doesn't have to auto-start with every reboot, you can run it on demand when you need it. I wouldn't modify the Shadow Defender and Rollback RX startup entries, leave those alone.

24. Oremina

PM'd you. All OK now. thanks VM.

Regards

25. CyberMan969

You're welcome!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.