The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Interesting question...
    I think it would, cause files and folders exclusions are at filesystem level. MBR/VBR then should be redirected for virtualization, just guessing.

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

What do you mean "VBR"?

I don´t quite understand your MBR question, but SD always protects the first track of the disk (first 63 logical sectors), which contains the MBR. There is only one MBR in the disk. Are you taking about several disks or several partitions in one disk?

About the letters, I checked that SD doesn´t see B. Just don´t use A and B.

3. guest

guest Guest

Yes, that can be the case.
    It's not forbidden to use A: and B:, but SD is simply not listing them.
    The developer has only to make some changes, so that the user is able to select/see A: and B:

4. RoamMaster

RoamMaster Registered Member

I have five different hard drives connected. I honestly don't know what the difference between MBR and VBR is. I said MBR originally, and she corrected me to "VBR". I want to keep the boot sector on all five drives clean. Outside of that, I mostly just want my two OS partitions to be fully protected. I don't want to prevent writing to the other drives(outside of the boot sectors).

5. Robin A.

What I have understood about SD operation:

If a hard disk has an OS partition and you select it to be protected (or it´s selected automatically by SD), the first track of the disk, which includes the MBR, is shadowed. Also, SD shadows automatically the boot partition, if different from the OS.

I don´t know if SD will shadow the first track of a disk that doesn´t have a OS partition but only data partitions, and you don´t select any of them to be shadowed.

If, in this case, you select one or more data partitions to be protected, I suppose the first track is protected.

6. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

Correct, and that is what I indicated in my reply to RoamMaster's original question...
    But if RoamMaster enables Shadow Mode for E: but excludes all files in E: (as he later clarified) then E:'s VBR is protected.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  7. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

And for those who never came across the term VBR, it refers to a volume boot record, which is the first sector in each data storage volume that is not partitioned or the first sector in each partition of a partitioned data storage volume.

Re SD protection, just as the MBR is protected when Shadow Mode is enabled for the system volume, the VBR of any volume or partition would be protected when Shadow Mode is enabled for that volume or partition.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  8. ichito

ichito Registered Member

As you already know there are some rules in labeling disk in Windows and you...as we can see...consciously breaks this rules. In some specific cases it's just "asking for problems"...and you just met them. As Robin said "Just don´t use A and B".

9. yeL

yeL Registered Member

Not sure if this was already mentioned but anyone else with Windows 10 gets unresponsive start menu after awhile in shadow mode? Plus a lot of icons missing and clicking on them won't do anything?

10. Houley456

Houley456 Registered Member

No problems for me like that....sorry cannot help...

11. yeL

yeL Registered Member

I've been experiencing this problem for some time now. Most of the pinned apps on the start menu disappear and also some icons on the taskbar, but the space remains there.

Are your Administration settings (on Shadow Defender) the default ones?

12. yeL

yeL Registered Member

13. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

I don't use Windows 10 but this missing icon and unlinked icon problem goes back a long way in Shadow Defender history. I'm not sure what it's about.

Patrick

14. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It happened to me once now that you've mentioned it, that is the start menu was unresponsive, but no icon missing. I think since the anniversary update on two machines I have been in shadow mode roughly 20-30 times, and as a matter of fact at the time I didn't even think it may have something to do with SD. Good to know and see if it happens again.

My admin settings are default, but now the more I think about it, the only time I had problems in shadow mode (like sudden system freezes and exiting shadow mode) was when using RAM as write cache, normally I set 4GB out of 8GB on one machine and 4GB out of 12GB on the other, which rules out freezing due to lack of memory. But then again this behaviour is sporadic, most of the time everything is fine.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  16. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Shadow Defender is disk virtualization software; it does not virtualize every single area of your system - such as firmware (not drivers, but firmware - there is a difference). That means that at some low level Shadow Defender could be bypassed by a malware that infects firmware - for just a single example. What's the probability ? -- it's a small number, that's all I know for certain.

Also, Shadow Defender being software, there is always the probability (once again a small number) that there is a\are vulnerability\ies in Shadow Defender - and those can be exploited by chance or targeting.

Just because there isn't existing malware in-the-wild current pulling all this off doesn't mean it can't happen. It just means that the probability is small enough that we get into the realm of what can legitimately argued to be speculation, conjecture and what some would call a myth.

In short, everything Robin A states is technically correct.

17. liketochat

liketochat Registered Member

It's kinda different for me, in my case I'm slowly unable to click anything on my desktop after a while. I can reproduce this easily when i copied tons of files from one folder to another. In my case, i copied a large amount of folders & tiny files from my hard drive to my ssd, and in about 2 minutes i can't click anything and i have to force restart my PC to make it usable again.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  18. Robin A.

Maybe there wasn´t enough free space in the SSD for the SD cache.

19. yeL

yeL Registered Member

20. liketochat

liketochat Registered Member

I have a 180GB SSD with 70GB+ free space, an Intel i5 6500, 16GB of DDR4 RAM, i find that highly unlikely.

21. Tony

Tony Registered Member

22. Djigi

Djigi Registered Member

23. yeL

yeL Registered Member

New update (1.4.0.653) is available at: http://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.4.0.653_Setup.exe

Site remains at .648 and no changelog available for .653 at the moment: http://www.shadowdefender.com/history.html

24. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Thanks but isn't this a test release for your specific issue you have?
    Maybe Tony won't use that version number for the next public release.

25. yeL

yeL Registered Member

I don't know. We will need to wait and see if Tony updates the website. He didn't replied to me about this version.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.