The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Over the years, I have bought several SD licenses for use in my home computers, usually when a discount is available. Just to signal my appreciation of this software.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Remarkable piece of computer science. Sorry. I just can't shut up about it and it's endurance over time + stability with only a few slight hiccups for some.

4. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Contacted Tony at support: 'One license can be used on one computer only'. Fair enough.

5. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Thanks paulderdash
    I'll delete my earlier post

best wishes

Patrick

6. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

New to SD and I have a question for you guys, for someone who has used SD for awhile. Does SD have to be started with Windows? I plan on using it occasionally only and not full time, just to test software etc. Thanks.

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I have always (and i mean for years now) always run SD ON-Demand Only so it just sits in the system icon tray until needed.

8. digmor crusher

I assumed that it could be run on demand only , I read in another forum that it should always start with Windows though which I thought was a bit odd. Thanks Easter.

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Sure. I don't remember now but if you haven't already you can always just tick the "Start With Windows" function in the Administration TAB so that it always does.

The SD process impact for me all this time is been so minimal that it's a solid set n forget it type of app.

Triggering it when you go into Shadow Mode activates the Shadow Defender Filter Driver diskpt and it still is light as ever.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I didn't even realize but I have the start with windows ticked. No load at all

11. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Yes, you can, that's how I set SD. Just untick "Start With Windows" in Administration and you wont even get the SD icon until you run SD. When I want to use SD, I run it from the shortcut in Start menu and afterward, the SD icon appears in the task bar. SD works nice that way.:)

Bo

12. bo elam

And Digmor, to keep SD on demand, make sure not to click "Enter shadow mode on boot" via Schedule.

Sin título.jpg

Bo

13. digmor crusher

yes, thanks, I've seen that option Bo.

14. bo elam

To use SD on demand, you can completely ignore clicking anything under Schedule.

Bo

15. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

I have unticked start with windows & have disabled msconfig- startup-SD entry... no probs SD functioning, right?

Here or other forum someone mentioned to use SD ondemand start with windows can be disabled & msconfig-startup-SD entry can be disabled too as its just for notifications & doesn't affect SD functioning... is this correct info?

16. topper10

topper10 Registered Member

I am ready to donate my old laptop to either charity or a family member. All of my financial transactions, banking, stock trading etc have been done while in Shadow Mode and then the laptop was rebooted. Would it be wise to uninstall Shadow Defender and perhaps clean with Privazer or similar?I want to be sure nothing can be recovered with a program like Recuva. Also, I assume SD creates a separate partition when in Shadow Mode....is this also removed when uninstalling and eventually using a program like Privazer?

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

If you had used SD with the RAM cache without exceeding its maximum set cache, everything will completely disappear (as erased) on reboot. But if you had at times exceeded the cache or used it normally, info will remain (as deleted) and could be recovered with special tools, in that case Privazer or Eraser should be used to erase all info.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

SD creates a separate volume in shadow mode that can't be seen or detected by Windows. Rebooting the system normally is equivalent as deleting the shadow volume which means that with special programs the deleted volume could theoretically be recovered. Using the RAM cache as the the shadow volume, all traces are erased as nothing can be recovered from RAM once the system reboots. Uninstalling SD won't have any consequences with what has been deleted while rebooting the system (no partition is created).

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Indeed. This app is been a valuable help in a very big way for me in more than just malware experiments. I do plenty of customizations on any Windows platform and EIGHT is been no exception. In fact it's saved my butter big time when applying various freelance developments from normally expected trustable sites but the code was buggy or in order to do a major visual change in Win 8 some have even replaced EXPLORER.EXE which for me is a HUGE NO! NO! but i've had one or two make that move and bug up the screen. As long as you're in ShadowMode those error laden codes are easily flushed on reboot.

It's still a good idea (for me anyway)(as well as backup images) to always keep a Custom Refresh WINRE.WIM or two ON DISK in event a REFRESH just might prove useful or be needed to clear the slate so to speak WITHOUT LOSING YOUR DESKTOP PROGGYS.

Aside from that SD just chugs right on along and does it's functions to perfection as always on this end.

IT CONTINUES TO BE THE LONGEST RUNNING APP I EVER HAD ON ANY MACHINE SINCE IT'S FIRST STABLE RELEASE!

20. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

sshot-3.jpg
    Out of curiosity any idea when the SD service is used?.I usually use SD on demand from the tray icon ,but even when in shadow mode the service which is automatic entry is never started,or is that for always in shadow mode?

21. guest

guest Guest

i guess it is activated when you "enter shadow mode on boot"

22. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Which automatic service entry?
    Do you mean msconfig-startup - SD entry?

23. bo elam

I have no idea. Something else that puzzles me about the SD service is that it doesn't show in my computers (XP and W7) under Services. I cant open a SD Service window like in your picture because I don't see an entry for SD to click on. I am using old version 1.2.0.346.

When I start my computer, SD in not running in Task manager and the icon doesn't appear in the trey. When I want to use the program, I click the SD shortcut in Start menu and afterward, SD runs in task manager and appears in the trey.

This is what I see by unticking Start with windows in SD settings. I haven't unticked SD in msconfig or in CCleaner. In CCleaner, SD shows under Startup.:)

Bo

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  24. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Important message from Patrick to all Official Shadow Defender Forum users.

Hello everyone,
    As you probably know I have been running The Official forum for a while now. The forum is a single issue forum so has little throughput, although my membership has built up slowly over time. Most people only actually post if they have a problem and it's been very difficult to build up a 'dialogue' on this forum about a niche product. The Wilders forum has many other interesting things apart from the Unofficial thread and attracts more people than my own forum.
    I am having a problem at the moment on my forum (The Official Shadow Defender Forum) with the hosting. I own my domain but initially went with a free hosting because the forum throughput didn't warrant the expense of buying hosting.
    Initially I went with a hosting provider with lots of ooos which turned out to be abysmal...my members were constantly having connection problems and being knocked off.
    It got to the point that the forum was barely functional so I decided to move hosting providers.
    I read all the reviews at the time and eventually went for one that has a no ads as it's unique selling point at the time.
    Not being an expert in this field it took me some time using ftp mysql and various editors so forth and saved backups to move the existing forum to the new host but eventually I managed to upload it and after editing and lots of messing around, got it running.
    The new forum looked good, functioned well, with a good reliable connection..not many members but I thought that it was set up for a reasonable throughput if that should arise.
    I must say at this point that you do not get any help from the providers of a free hosting.
    I didn't realise at that time that free hosting is in fact a trap. Either they will promise you all sorts and then it will not really be there and you will not even get going from the outset or as in this one they seem great and provide you with cpanel and allow your own domain etc and for a while things seem great.
    Then of course, sometimes after years, one day. you will suddenly find that your password does not work to the ftp to administer your site. That is what happened to me first. Of course because you are getting free hosting they do not offer support and do not answer any of your emails to them. They try to force you by poor service to buy their paid product.
    This happened to me about three months ago but I thought...the site is running members can post, so I'll just hobble along for a bit. As I said earlier it is not a big deal site and the input from members is not consistant. The pattern has been that up to and around a new release of Shadow Defender more interest in the forum is shown.
    ..and the rest of the time if members login to the forum they are only going to be talking about Shadow Defender...so the incentives are not great. Then about a week or so ago one of my members informed me through pm (which is still working) that he could not post on the forum. I tried it and neither can I!
    So my webhosting has stitched my up and in my naivety, I've walked right into it.
    I would like to apologise to any members that have tried to post.
    After Christmas is over I will try to move the forum again as I have saved backups
    As I said members can still contact me by SD forum pm and email and I usually send Tony an email about any one with a particular problem that they can't get around. This is very exasperating as it has taken me such a long time to build the forum up and move towards regular and interesting member dialogue. Anyway that's the problem that I have at the moment and any comments or suggestions from members of this forum would be welcome.

best wishes

Patrick (Admin/owner The Official Shadow Defender Forum)

25. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

@sdmod
    Thank you for your support and taking the time to inform us.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.