The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Hello Shadow Defender,
    1) Curious... I've never used Write Cache nor Encrypt write cache. What's the upside by using Write Cache. How much cache MB and why encrypt. I've read Help >Write Cache > "This will increase disk access speed". I don't sense slow down in Shadow Mode wo Write Cache. Is there another reason to Write Cache beyond "disk access speed".

2) Does just Restart exit shadow mode okay (no lost data) without first doing Exit Shadow Mode.

3) Does just Shutdown exit shadow mode okay (no lost data) without first doing Exit Shadow Mode.

4) Any way to Commit Recycle Bin. Seems, items sent to Recycle Bin in Shadow Mode come back. I deleted log files to Recycle Bin in Shadow Mode. The log files were back in their original location in normal mode despite that I Committed contents of Logs folder after I deleted the log files to Recycle Bin.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  2. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

A) Firefox Bookmarks added in Shadow Mode not surviving Exit Shadow Mode > Shutdown > Start. I Committed AppData Roaming Firefox Profile before Exit Shadow Mode.
    for example ~ AdBlockPlus filters rolled back to date before I entered Shadow Mode. So, Committing Firefox Profile on new ABP date is not working as expected.

B) Bookmarks favicons stripped. Shadow Mode corrupts all bookmarks.

Sandboxie v4.20 with direct access to entire Firefox profile never corrupts Firefox Profile.
    Firefox profile corrupts when FF sandbox'd in Shadow Mode.
    I expect users will report bookmarks okay for them.
    Just reporting my observations re sandbox in shadow.
    Oh, and I enter Shadow Mode before I Run Sandboxed.
    How do I Commit FF Profile from FF sandbox'd
    Sandboxie = Allow direct access to entire FF profile folder.

3. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Well, that was a bust.
    15 test bookmarks survived along with all my bookmarks. So, that's some progress.
    prefs.js was supposed to allow my NoScript config/whitelist to survive reboot. NoScript was stripped back to default.
    patterns was supposed to allow AdBlockPlus to survive reboot. ABP looks okay.
    What surprised me big time was that Firefox Customize was stripped back to default upon reboot.
    Firefox always survived reboot okay (by Commit Profile) except for lost/corrupted bookmarks. So, I gained Bookmarks and lost Firefox. IDK
    And KeyPass has lost it's mind asking me to authorize connection every 2 minutes.
    Context menu Commit seems to take longer than Commit within user interface. IDK

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  4. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

Can't say I encrypt write cache, but I do use some RAM for write cache, since I have 16GB to throw around.
    By the way, thanks for posting these comments. I somehow totally forgot that I had Shadow Defender installed, even though I updated to the new version recently. DAMN BEER!

Anyways...
    I also use SBIE v4.20 (so far just for IE9 and FF... everything else goes into SpyShelter Restricted Apps), but am on W7HP, not W8.1, so some of what I say later may not be worth anything. I also use Firefox and NoScript, but Firefox v29 (with tweaked about:config to my liking) instead of a newer version. I don't use AdBlock Plus, but I do use UBlock Origin and AdGuard for Windows.

If you could provide a list of things you are trying to achieve with SD, SBIE and FF, I would be more than happy to help, since I've got my PC set up the way I want it, and can now work on the final hurdle (SD).

5. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Which version of Shadow Defender are you using? Re Keepass: Is this the first time that this has happened?

6. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

SD .588
    First time trying to granular exclude FF profile items... so, first time KeyPass went silly. What I wanted to recover in normal volume went bonkers by picking (as suggested) a few profile items.
    I have to first establish consistent SD as expected activity. Then I'll maybe bring in SBIE.
    When I Commit entire FF profile folder. Bookmarks go goofy sometimes.
    So, I reached out and was advised best to exclude only what I really need. As profile is too large to Commit. My profile has 61 items n' over half change every session.
    I don't know how SD users get by with Exclude just places.sqlite.
    I've tried to settle in to a trusting routine by SD. Seems, something goes wonky and I go back to just SBIE.

7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

bjm, take care of one item at a time. Do bookmarks first.

For Sandboxie, in your Firefox sandbox, go to Sandbox settings>Applications>Web browser>Firefox, Tick "Allow direct access to Firefox bookmarks and history database"..that setting allows direct access to places.sqlite.

For Shadow defender. Go to the exclusions list and add places.sqlite. To do it, follow the path as in the picture below. If you set things up properly, saving bookmarks out of a sandboxed Firefox in Shadow mode should work.

Sin título1.jpg

Bo

8. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Short story Long. Normal session is FF39 sandboxed. Ini has a few templates, etc. Not a power sandboxie user but, very loyal.
    SD on n' off since 578. Mostly Off. Seems, I cannot get comfortable by SD. After all my bookmarks flavicons were stripped. SD represents "what if". I'd like to be able to go shadow and relax.
    After this last bork....just adds to my discomfort. I'm sandboxed now as I was too frustrated to go shadow.
    I like my (popular) FF extensions. It's not like I have 100. I know power sandboxie users say they're not needed.
    marzametal, I'd like to shadow and not bite my nails. I sorted borked FF Options/Customize and NoScript easy enough. But, Firefox lost session preferences n' all options changed. Darn home page went default. Bizarre how 7 Plugins were borked Active. I'd forgot how to turn off KeyPass/KeyFox security code dialog and drop down messages. The security code thingy is/was default and after the bork. Darn thing would not stop prompting for security code. That's for another board.
    Something went aery by Exclude a few FF profile items. I guess if I exclude abc. I'd better exclude 'who knows'.
    I have 6GB to play. So, maybe 2GB. Resource Monitor shows Standby 2200MB.

9. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

I excluded 5 small items and FF ini is direct access to entire profile. Do, I need direct access to places if I'm already direct access to entire profile folder.
    And bookmarks survived. NoScript did not survive even though I excluded prefs.js.

10. bo elam

If you allow access to the Firefox profile folder, you dont need to add places.sqlite in SBIE.

I ll get in Shadow mode now and test if excluding prefs.js in Shadow mode works for me. I ll be back in a little while.

Bo

11. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Hey, no worries and don't rush....
    What do I exclude for Firefox Options/Customize to survive.
    Oh, forgot. ABP was same date so, patterns.ini didn't hurt as I can see other that ABP Icon was rearranged.
    Heck, I can update ABP. No problem. I would however prefer ABP remain where I left it. :isay:
    61 items of which 30+ change every session. "one at a time" :eek:

12. bo elam

bjm, allowing access to prefs.js in a sandboxed Firefox works fine for making changes in NoScript settings, adding sites to the white list or untrusting sites but doing so in Shadow defender messed up some of my Firefox settings. So, I change my recommendation and dont exclude prefs.js in Shadow mode.

Bo

13. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Aha, and how messed up were Firefox settings. Maybe prefs.js was solely responsible for my bork.
    Um, if I were to exclude/commit Firefox profile wouldn't that include prefs.js
    Unless, prefs.js by itself or with a few friends causes trouble but, with all his friends he's okay?.
    Jeez, someone needs to write a user guide.

14. bo elam

Yes, excluding prefs.js in Shadow mode messed up a lot of my Firefox settings as it did in your PC. That should not have happened. The only ones that should have been changed are the ones I changed. but thats not what happened. You can allow direct access to it in Sandboxie and change whatever you want in NoScript and changes survive deleting the sandbox. But don't exclude prefs.js in Shadow mode.:)

Bo

15. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Well, then I cannot exclude the Firefox profile as SD suggested...cause prefs is in the profile.
    And what else may in the profile that's been borking me.
    How come we haven't heard about prefs before.
    How does everyone run FF in shadow. Like you.. just exclude places.
    Does SD know about this...
    So, when you only exclude places. You consistently recover to normal. No worries. No problems...? even with Sandboxie in shadow..?

16. bo elam

I suggest you dont exclude the entire Firefox profile folder in Shadow mode. I am using an old version of SD, you are using a new one and we both experienced the same thing with Firefox settings getting modified out of Shadow mode even without us changing them. Frefox saves many settings in prefs.js but they should not change out of Shadow mode unless we make the change. And thats not what I experienced. Something did not work right.

I dont know how everyone else uses Firefox in Shadow mode. But only excluding places.sqlite works fine for me.

I dont use SD often but when I do and browse and download something that I want to save out of Shadow mode, I use the Commit option.

Bo

17. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Yes, of course. I meant most of my comments as rhetorical venting to the Thread.
    As always. Much appreciation.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  18. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Well, as a test I set up Shadow Defender with 2GB RAM and one Exclude = places.sqlite
    After two hours and saving one bookmark. I restarted to find one saved bookmark stripped.

Shadow Defender stripped link.png
    The stripped bookmark had a Favicon and Location before I restarted.

19. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

In preparation for SD tinkering, I came across a clash with applications on my end. I was wondering if anyone else makes use of a program called Secure Folders, along with the latest SD?
    http://securefoldersfree.com/

After installing Secure Folders, and entering Shadow Mode on boot...
    1) Secure Folders is nerfed - no settings are committed whether I lock a directory, hide it, prevent execution of files or set its contents to read only
    2) Mozilla Firefox does not load up - firefox.exe is present in Task Manager and in Sandboxie, however nothing loads up on-screen

Both 1 and 2 are rectified if I exit Shadow Mode. Issue 2 is rectified if I uninstall Secure Folders and committ changes via Shadow Defender.

20. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I use Secure Folders. I enter Shadow Mode, then turn on Secure folders. Testing it does it's job. Have no trouble using Sandboxie'd Firefox. When done, if I remember I turn off Secured Folders, and exit Shadowmode, but if I forget the exit of shadow mode leaves every thing as it was prior to entering Shadow Mode.

Pete

21. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

My understanding of the technical side of things is very limited but I have had experience of these sorts of glitches over the years. Some minor inconveniences, some not so minor. If you look back over my posts you will see that I have mentioned lost settings and certain apps reverting to default settings or even unregistering (like Nero way back in Shadow Defender past). I often mentioned lost settings on apps that run 'deep' kernel like anti virus etc. On a hunch and with nothing solid to back it up, I believe that these glitches are to do with kernel driver conflicts or incomplete or disturbed registry settings when coming out of shadow mode, a conflict having occured in Shadow Mode and certain changes having occured (things like Keepass, Password agent, System Safety Monitor etc). Some apps have to run quite deep to maintain a particular authority over other apps within the system and I believe that a fight occurs and when those apps lose and are unable to maintain their own settings these glitches occur. These glitches do not seem to happen consistantly and must be triggered by certain unique sets of circumstances.
    I think it is kernel level apps fighting over ground or maybe incomplete consideration given when putting settings into 'exclude', of registry changes for apps or plugins.
    I know that this may sound like a post from somebody who doesn't know what they are talking about...it's simply my uneducated thoughts on the matter. This lost settings issue is something that's been niggling me for years and I'd love to get to the bottom of it. The problem is, most people don't have these problems most of the time and they are not consistant (even for those people) so getting a consensus for action is quite difficult because of many of the variables/variations and inconsistancies in users systems and pc architecture.
    I wish that I could put my finger on it. I want Shadow Defender to be rock solid. Personally I had to revert to 1.4.0.519 when glitches occured for me in more recent versions. I am using XP sp3 ntfs 86 32 bit. On my system 1.4.0.519 seems more stable than any of the recent versions that I have tried (that might not be true for everyone). I hope that this is helpful in some way.

22. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Hmm, maybe there needs to be a cautionary comment. SD may not work for all users all the time.
    Oh, wait...there is. EULA = "AS IS"
    My expectations for SD .578/588 are not satisfied and now, I'm simply trying to consistently retain bookmarks #4143
    I need some normal everyday criteria to validate SD otherwise it's maybe she will and maybe she won't protect as advertized. SD is making unwanted changes.

23. bo elam

I think the problem with allowing access and excluding prefs.js in Sandboxie and Shadow defender at the same time is that there is a conflict. bjm, I don't see this as a big deal. It is likely saving Firefox settings out of Shadow mode works fine as long as you don't run Firefox sandboxed when you make the changes.

Bo

24. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Yes, I tested SD .588 with one Exclude = places.sqlite and no SBIE #4143

25. bo elam

I never had a problem with that one using SBIE and SD at the same time. And I am pretty sure you wont have an issue allowing patterns in both programs either. I think the issue is when you allow and exclude prefs or the entire Firefox profile folder in SBIE and SD at the same time. By the way, allowing patterns not only allows you to change settings in ABP but you can also update the filters while running Firefox sandboxed or in Shadow mode.

Bo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.