The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Post Response to a 2011 Post. Let's Focus On The Subject, and Not Each Other. Thank You!

2. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

What would you normally include in the SD "File (folder) Exclusion List?"

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I just want to report that SD works perfectly with Win 10 Tech Preview (32 bit), therefore we shouldn't worry for quite a while in the near future...

4. rcn29

rcn29 Registered Member

bug from version 1.4.0.553

type: folder exclusion
    problem: when saving documents, after restart, file is corrupted.

5. rcn29

rcn29 Registered Member

forgot to mention this on my post above
    operating system: windows 8.1 64 bit

also found this when editing files in photoshop and word and notepad, etc.

6. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

rcn29
    You can contact the developer at
    supportATshadowdefender.com

Patrick

7. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

I'm trying v1.4.0.553 on Win 8.1 x64...

I also got the message "Z: is in a low free space".

Is there a solution to this problem?

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Try this (Tony’s fix):

Control Panel/System and Security/Power Options/Choose what the power buttons do/Change Settings that are currently unavailable/Shutdown settings/untick “Turn on fast start up (recommended)". It worked perfectly for me, but for others the problem still lingers...

Even if it doesn't go away you don't have to worry, SD will work properly.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

In the beginning I used to exclude the antivirus, my calender, Outlook. Nowadays I don't bother anymore, I don't exclude anything, and I tend to "commit" files whenever is necessary (I mean "commit" on the fly, not the "Commit Now" folder although this is another possibility).

10. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

How do you do this -- what's the procedure?

11. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It's really simple, you right click any file or folder that you wish to commit (meaning any files or folders that you want to retain from the shadow session), and on the menu created click "Commit by Shadow Defender".

12. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I assume those files/folders you wish to retain don't all end up in one place or in one screen in SD. So do I understand correctly then that you would either have to know their name(s) or search for them in Explorer?

13. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I don't know anymore whether we are speaking about the same thing. My scenario is as follows: I'm in Shadow mode, and there are some files or folders on my desktop (just created during the shadow mode e.g some research material, a newspaper article, etc) and I don't want to lose them on the next reboot, therefore after right clicking the file in question, on the menu I choose "Commit by Shadow Defender". This file will survive after rebooting your computer in normal mode.

After reading again your post I think I understand your question, after committing the files/folders and rebooting your computer you'll find them exactly in the same location that they were first committed...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  14. sdmod

I just want to add something to the last few posts about right click 'Commit by Shadow Defender'

Often when I'm in Shadow Defender Shadow mode I will be working on a file and then decide to right click 'Commit by Shadow Defender'.
    It is very easy to then move onto something else and maybe drift back later on in the 'session' and go to that file to add something. nb This often happens in text documents.
    If you do this and add to that file you must commit again.

It's very easy to lose stuff if you forget this.

My rule is when leaving Shadow Mode just think about the files that you are working on and that you want to commit.
    If in doubt re-commit those files that you have worked on since 'Commit by Shadow Defender' or you may lose part of your work on re-boot. That's my 'Tip of the Day' ;)

Patrick

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  15. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

I tried it, but the message "Z: is in a low free space" remains...:eek:

Is it a Bug? :confused:

16. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

MS is changing OSs so often nowadays that it is difficult for developers to keep the same pace... I don't know whether it is a bug, but I had this message appearing for almost a year without any perceivable changes in SD functioning. I think this is the beauty of this application, no matter what strange behaviour you might experience, the core function is never affected, that is resuming the original state of the OS upon exiting shadow mode.

Let's wait and see with the next update, Tony might fix it.

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Okay folks, I have a usage question.

I currently use Firefox 32.03 and latest beta of SBIE, and I find there is a real performance hit. My other software(Appguard,ERP and HMPA) pretty much protect the system, but don't provide the clean up and isolation that either SD or SBIE provides, so I am thinking of using SD in place of SBIE.

Here is the question: I have 3 internal drives, C:,F: and G: These aren't partitions, but full drives. Should I just shadow C: which is fast, or shadow all 3 which takes longer.

Thanks,

Pete

18. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Hi Pete,

It depends on what F: and G: are being used for and whether you want changes to be persistent. As a general guideline, volumes containing user data shouldn't normally be in shadow mode, but system, backup, recovery volumes, etc, are all candidates for shadowing.

If a volume does not need to be written to by guarded apps, the contents can be protected against unauthorised change by making the root directory read-only for guarded apps using AppGuard. Unless the volume is holding user data, I would also shadow it unless I encountered a performance issue doing it.

If a volume is written to by guarded apps where persistency is required, it won't be in shadow mode most of the time and AppGuard read-only protection won't be an option. When engaging in higher risk activities such as software testing or web surfing, the volume can temporarily be put into shadow mode as an extra security measure.

Unless you experience a noticeable performance overhead from shadowing (I never have), IMO the way you want SD deployed from a usage perspective is the more important consideration.

HTH

Regards
    pegr

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  19. sdmod

I only shadow my C: drive and come out of Shadow Mode to backup to E: using Casper 7
    So C: is my only active drive, nothing separate going on, on E:

Even though I have a lifetime licence for Sandboxie, I've stuck with the old Sandboxie 3.46 which Tzuk and Tony had got right together on compatibility wise.

20. Peter2150

Hi Guys

Thanks for the answers. This morning I had a duh moment. My concern was a nasty being able to write to the other two drives by accident. It occurred to me that I have that already blocked by Appguard. Patrick, like you I have a lifetime license, and I use it to protect Steam which is still cool, but with the new changes to SBIE and to Firefox, they have become dogs together. Even though HMPA is still in beta, I've thrown some nasty stuff at it and it has worked beautifully. So with it and Appguard, plus SD, I feel fairly good.

Again thanks,

Pete

21. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi Patrick, you don't need to keep using that old Sandboxie version, as far as I can tell, SD and Sandboxie version 4 work great. I don't use SD all the time but I never had any kind of problem when I am using both programs at the same time in my XP SP3 or W7. I cant feel any difference whether I am running something sandboxed in Shadow mode or not in Shadow mode.

Under that old Sandboxie version, you cant run Firefox if you are using Avast or run sandboxed the latest versions of Chrome. The newer versions are also more secure. I think there is a problem between Firefox and Sandboxie right this moment due to changes in the last two beta versions but SD works fine along SBIE. I am using SD 1.2,.0.346 in both of my computers.

Bo

22. ba0

ba0 Registered Member

Do you boot straight to an admin or standard account? The delay only occurs when it's setup to boot to a standard account for me.

23. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi ba0
    It happen in Administrator Account, it is now cured [since Saturday 11th] without the delay on my OS [Win7 x64] by Uninstalling all iTunes software.

Take Care
    TheQuest :cool:

24. Peter2150

558 is out. What's new?

25. sdmod

I can't see anything yet on the Shadow Defender site. I'll drop Tony an e-mail tonight and see what he says.

Patrick

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.