The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

He just emailed me, and wanted to know if I have raid setup, or if I use TrueCrypt to encrypt my OS partition. I do not use raid, and I never encrypt my OS partition. I have seen too many horror stories to encrypt my OS with TrueCrypt. I use TC containers, and I have encrypted an entire non OS partition before without any problems. I only use containers at the moment though, and the containers are on external storage. Do you happen to use Shadow Protect?

2. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Used Shadow Protect a long time but when I went to mSATA SSDs for boot drives, stopped using it and went to Image for Windows/Linux for imaging. No encrytion sofware here but I do tell SD to encrypt in Admin options of program. Sounds like he is really working hard to get to the bottom of these things.

Gary

3. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Tony is always very good at getting on top of bugs and it sounds from the reports above that he is getting there. I think that it is fantastic that everyone is getting involved and it shows what is is possible even with the language problems. In my opinion that is how software should be developed with lots of user and developer input and exchange. It gives the sense of community that these sorts of softwares need to really flourish.

4. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Hey Gary,

I think it would serve a greater purpose if you shared that link so others who are experiencing crashes can see if that 'test' version also solves their problems. ;)

TS

5. Cutting_Edgetech

They should not release it though unless Tony says its ok. I get vendors that send me pre releases pretty often, but tell me not to share them with anyone else. I'm not really sure why Tony did not offer it to all those that experienced a BSOD. I'm sure it's just an incomplete maintenance build, but maybe it will narrow down the problem for him. My BSOD could even be a different bug than what others are reporting so it's really important that everyone experiencing problems send a bug report. Even if we all are experiencing the same bug we may all send another piece of the puzzle that Tony needs to solve the problem.

6. sdmod

Thu 4/24/14 6:36 AM
    Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your feedback.
    I have received their report emails, I will dig into this issue.

Best regards,
    Tony

On 2014-04-23 11:46, Patrick wrote:
    > Hi Tony,
    > There have been a few problems reported with version 1.4.0.518 . Two
    > people report crashing when trying to go into Shadow Mode and another
    > a missing digital certificate. One member reports that "on Win8.1 upd
    > 1 x64; you jump directly to the boot screen"
    > I think that the members that have experienced these problems have
    > probably emailed you directly anyway, so you may already know this.
    > If you would like to say something on the forums The Official Shadow
    > Defender Forum or Wilders Forum but feel unable to, you could email me
    > and I would be happy to pass any information on to members of both
    > forums. Then you could get some feedback during the fix (if needed).
    >
    > best wishes
    >
    > Patrick

7. huntnyc

Yes, unless Tony wants it released, I will not post a link. I do not know what this version involves as far as fixes. My wife is using it in Shadow mode right now and so far so good but again, I believe Tony is the only one who knows specifics about how close this test version may be to the problems he is trying to solve.

Gary

8. huntnyc

Just heard from Tony and another version link was sent and mhy simple test of entering Shadow mode, creating text doc on desktop, rebooting in Shadow mode on C drive and then exiting Shadow mode on C Drive worked again on both my x220 laptops. Not speaking for Tony, but hopefully it is not going to be long now. Will continue testing this a few days and see what happens.

Gary

9. Cutting_Edgetech

Tony just got back with me, and he gave me a link to a test version. He told me what he thinks the problem could be, but I will wait to see if it resolves my BSOD before explaining. Its only a theory.

10. Cutting_Edgetech

I've been using SD build 1.4.0.519 for about an hour now without any problems. It seems the problem was some 3rd party software that Tony uses to protect his code from being reverse engineered. He updated to the most recent version for this build, and it has resolved the BSOD I was experiencing. There were 3 other users between here, and the official SD forum that had reported experiencing a BSOD with build 1.4.0.518. I hope this resolved their BSOD problem as well.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  11. guest

guest Guest

when we will got it? ^^

12. Cutting_Edgetech

I don't know. This is still a test build for now. I would guess very soon.

13. Alhaitham

Alhaitham Registered Member

1.4.0.519 is out

14. Cutting_Edgetech

That's great news! That build is still working great for me so far.

15. huntnyc

Congrats to Tony and no BSODS here after he sent me this link via email last night. Glad it is out and should be a wonderful update to a great program.

Gary

16. sdmod

What a glorious day! :)
    Congratulations to Tony on the update and to members who've helped to achieve this

Shadow Defender 1.4.0.519 is running well on my XP sp3 32bit ntfs

Patrick

17. The Shadow

519 is working well here on both W7 x64 and XP x86, but then again so was 518 (the 'bug' didn't affect my systems). Glad to hear that 519 seems to have resolved yesterday's issues!

18. sdmod

No problems with this new version for me, looks like a keeper :)
    Does any member know how to verify that the track 0 virtualization is working? Is there a way to see it?

19. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Can you install right over the top of the current version you have installed?

20. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Yes, you can.

21. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

@pegr
    Have you by chance tried this most recent version (1.4.0.519) on your XP system? I few years ago, I tried several different versions of SD and didn't have a lot of success (lots of BSOD). However, for some time now I've been using 1.2.0.376 and it's been rock solid. I'd love to upgrade, but a little nervous based on my previous experiences.

22. The Shadow

Hey Tom,

Just to let you know that build 519 is running very well on my XP SP3 x86 PC as well as on my W7 SP1 x64 (EFI) laptop! :)

TS

23. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I'm using 1.4.0.519 without any issues. Maybe I've been lucky but I've never experienced an issue with any of the versions of Shadow Defender causing a BSOD on my Windows XP system.

24. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Thanks TS and Pegr -- sure good to know and reassuring.

25. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

I was using the old version 1.1.0.325/6 for many years. I also tried some other releases along the way but always reverting back for some reasons.
    I uninstalled it last week and now using 519 without any problem to date.
    This version is going to be a keeper here...
    (win 7x64)

Amazing great tool !

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.