The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I agree. I first tested out WSA AV via SD before deciding to take a chance with it on my real system.

It's a great app even if i am still using .325 on my XP rig.

2. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

+1
    me too

3. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

All right, first day of use and naturally the first question. I have found that installation of programs which tend to create a system restore point takes a lot of time in shadow mode, because that action does not seem to work and is aborted after some failed attempts. During the time frame in which these attempts take place, there is of course no progress.

I have tried to turn Windows System Restore off (outside of Shadow Mode) but the problem persists because programs still try to create a restore point unsuccessfully.

Can anybody help?

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

All I can figure, perhaps you are experiencing a conflict or SR works differently in W8.1. In my W7 or XP, installing programs in Shadow mode takes the same amount of time as out of SM. System restore points are created in SD and deleted after rebooting. Sometimes SR gets broken in SM (XP) but is OK after rebooting. I have never experienced issues installing programs in SD.

Bo

5. FleischmannTV

I recognized it might be system restore because when I tried a program, it showed me that it tried to create a restore point and that was the part of the installation that took ages. I guess it might be a specific Win 8.1 issue. When I go into Shadow Mode and then try to access the System Restore panel in Windows the part of the window which shows the protection status for each hard drive doesn't even display if the proctection is on or off. Next time I am in Shadow Mode, I'll take a screenshot (and commit of course :D) and I will notify Tony about it.

6. FleischmannTV

Disregard what I said about not showing the status of the drives while in shadow mode. Displays just fine.

System Restore is disabled before going into Shadow Mode. Should still try to enable and disable it again while I am in Shadow Mode?

7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

If SR is enabled when you go in SM, I ll say yes, disable it while in SM to see if it makes a difference. If earlier, when you experienced problems, you had SR disabled from before entering SM, then enable it before going in and see what happens in SM.

Bo

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

@sdmod

Greets & Holiday Cheer Patrick.

Not likely to get any more bites on the AX64 thread where concerns usage of Shadow Defender with it, but was curious of your take on that "dirty bit" issue forcing AX64 to detect an abnormality in it's expected routine that in turn makes AX64 "reset" it's imaging mechanism at boot time to build a new baseline and subsequent chain of new snaps etc.

I got some PM's asking me how i got them to coincide together, referencing my forum footer signature, but i keep reminding them that since Shadow Defender operates at a more Low Level, disk face wise, that there is really no concrete workaround to avoid what takes place for AX64 after a reboot so the concensus (and results) remains on the two program's incompatibility.

It is where they are right now, and if RealCopy integration to form a new product that also might address it, (isn't expected) examined and tested for some solution to it, i guess the answer and/or choice will remain no more different than they are right now.

Any thoughts? Opinions? Either way?

Shadow Defender is much too effective and stable a LV in my opinion to cancel when even a drivesnapshot imager is enough to save and store a system disk without issue of SD preventing normal operation of this type of task.

EASTER

9. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Hey FTV, try this.

Disable all other security apps that you are using (AG, SBIE, etc.), making sure that any associated startup entries are also disabled and then reboot. Then run SD, enter Shadow Mode and try installing one of the programs where you previously had an installation problem. If all goes well, you need to enable those other security apps (1 at a time!) until you find the conflict.

If you still have software-installation issues after disabling all other security apps uninstall SD and then re-install it being sure to use the latest build (457).

Good luck and please report back.

TS

10. The Shadow

@Easter,

AX64 and SD are definitely incompatible {period!} - Shadow Mode totally confuses AX64's sector-tracking mechanism. So why continue to beat your head against the wall? Choose one or the other. :blink:

TS

11. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Having run around in circles trying to figure out how to get those two programs to coexist and work together I finally gave up (and I can confirm that The Shadow knows what he is talking about). ;)

Personally, I refuse to give up Shadow Defender and since Drive Snapshot has served my image-backup needs very well (for several years), I can get along without AX64, whereas giving up SD would be a hardship indeed.

Cruise

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Odd, very odd response, nonetheless, but no one i think is holding their breath (yet) for expectation of some instant masterful solution, but that being said your opinion is noted.

My particular question is/was really directed to the attention of sdmod given his long held experience & knowledge in drawing out competent (and i might add), sharing friendly finds/ideas from correspondence with Shadow Defender's creator and ofttimes long time user's/customers.

And a merry happy holidays to you too.

EASTER

13. sdmod

Hi Easter and a very Merry Christmas to you and to all other members of this forum and members here that use The Official Shadow Defender Forum.
    It seems Easter, that AX64 and Shadow Defender are not going to be good bedfellows.
    I use Shadow Defender every day and I've run 1.1.0.325 on XP sp3 for a long time now...with only minor glitches. The Window XP task bar sometimes returns to Windows default and occasionaly I've lost some files that I have committed in Shadow Defender Safe Mode when re-booting into ordinary mode. I find this happens when I choose one commit of individual files and then another and another. Apart from that it's fine. I have my own little ways/routines in using Shadow Defender and I am not really an expert in all it's functional aspects. I accidentally did a defrag last night whilst in Shadow mode...I realised and stopped it and on re-boot everything was good as normal.
    When Shadow Defender was in it's infancy people hard tested it by ripping chunks out of the system whilst in Shadow Mode and still it came up good.
    I think that Easter is a good member, with a big heart who is only trying to play his part in the debate and development, we all have our hopes that certain things can be sorted out in software incompatabilities.
    I'm with Shadow Defender because it is simple enough for most people to use, utilitarian in form and style and stable enough to be relied upon in most circumstances. I like the fact that it is not some mega corporation, It's probably just some bloke in his bedroom. :) I came to the internet in the mid nineties and I loved the spirit of the freeware community back then and the cheerful proactive sharing of information, energy and time.
    Lets hope that we all have a great New Year.

best wishes

sdmod (Patrick)

and last but not least thanks to Cutting_Edgetech for starting this great thread

14. The Shadow

Easter,

Did I offend you in some way?-if so, I apologize. I construed your concern to be re AX64-SD compatibility - if I misconstrued where you were coming from, I again apologize. I meant no disrespect.

TS

15. Jryder54

Jryder54 Registered Member

16. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Yes it appears to be a legitimate offer although the discount works-out to be 48% rather than the stated 50%. :p

And thanks for the 'heads-up' on a very good deal.

17. Jryder54

Jryder54 Registered Member

Lol. No problem.

I was nervous because it's MYCommerce instead of Avangate.

18. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hello,

I wonder if Shadow Defender works on Win 8.1? The website says the latest version supports up to Win 8.

19. FleischmannTV

Yes, it does. I am running it on a Windows 8.1 here myself.

20. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah I missed that. Thank you so much. :) :thumb:

21. tictacx

tictacx Registered Member

Using Windows 8 64bit, boot from VHD with the latest Shadow Defender and can't seem to get the File Exclusion List feature working. I enable Shadow Mode but nothing gets saved in the folders after I reboot. I checked this thread and it seems others might be having this problem too? Is this a known issue or am I doing it wrong? Thanks.

22. sdmod

I don't use that version 64 bit myself and I don't use exclusions so I don't know ... I'm sure that other members on here are using that version so there may be an answer here.
    Have you tried support@shadowdefender.com

Patrick The Official Shadow Defender Forum (Admin)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

No bother and please no need apologize. You was simply driving home the point (again), in your own fashion to press the fact for incompatibility between the two. No offense taken just threw me at that moment and gave me pause to weigh why so impossible, for now yes, but later perhaps?......

At any rate, PROBLEM ELIMINATED courtesy RAXCO reintroduction of the new FD-INSTANT RECOVERY program i just learned of today!

Shadow Defender in any flavor 100% compatible within that ISR.

HAVE A VERY MERRY HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Many Regards, EASTER

24. The Shadow

EASTER,

It's good to hear there are no hard feelings from that post. After all the 'trials and tribulations' my son and I went through trying to get AX64 to work for SD-users we were so disappointed that I probably over-emphasized their incompatibility issues.

Happy New Year!
    TS

PS. Is that new RAXCO product in fact a 'rebirth' of FD-ISR? o_O

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

If you haven't already, make haste to that sub-forum ASAP while the discount is still on. YES! "Rebirth" of FD-ISR!

Regards EASTER

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.