The United States Grand Prix: a Big Shame and Black Sunday

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Smokey, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

MICHELIN TEAMS PULL OUT AT INDIANAPOLIS
    Last Updated: Sunday, 19, June, 2005, 19:18

http://www.itv-f1.com/images/static/spacer.gif http://www.itv-f1.com/ImageLibrary/33449_1.jpg

The United States Grand Prix has turned into a sad farce, with all 14 Michelin shod cars pulling straight into the pits at the start of the race.

Only the Ferraris, Jordans, and Minardis lined up on the grid, with Michael Schumacher predictably leading away.

Michelin had announced that its teams would not race unless a chicane was added at turn 13 to slow the entry speed onto the banked corner.

No work was carried out, and Renault, McLaren, Toyota, BAR, Williams, Sauber, and Red Bull all pulled their cars out of the race at the end of the formation lap.

“I have a really horrible feeling in my stomach,” David Coulthard told ITV’s Louise Goodman.

“It’s quite remarkable that we couldn’t find a resolution in the interests of the sport.

“This is going to leave a long-lasting bitter taste in people’s mouths.

“As a driver, I’m embarrassed, but we were acting under instruction from Michelin on safety grounds.”

Source: ITV.Com

2. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Michelin Formula One Cars Pull Out of U.S. Grand Prix (Update1)
    June 19 (Bloomberg) -- Formula One cars that use tires provided by Michelin & Cie., the world's largest tiremaker, pulled out of the U.S. Grand Prix at Indianapolis Motor Speedway today because of safety concerns.

Seven teams, which accounted for 14 of the 20 cars in the race, pulled into the pits after running a warmup lap, leaving only the cars shod in Bridgestone tires to start the race. Those still running were two cars each from the Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi.

Michelin told the seven teams yesterday not to compete in the event, the only U.S. stop on the Formula One circuit, because it couldn't determine the cause of tire failures that led to two crashes during practice last week. The tires, which are being used for the first time this year, have had unexplained drops in pressure while running at the speedway.
    ``It was clear we were unsafe today and couldn't race,'' Jarno Trulli, who won the pole on a Michelin-equipped Toyota, said in an interview on the Speedchannel network. ``If you can race, you race. If you can't, you don't compete.''

Thumbs-Down

Fans threw bottles on the track and gave the thumbs-down sign when the 14 cars pulled off the race course. Television pictures showed some in the crowd holding up hand-written signs saying, ``Money Back.''

The agency that oversees Formula One, the international automobile federation known by its French acronym FIA, told teams this morning they would have to compete with original Michelin tires as required by the rules rather than switch to new models shipped in overnight. It said the drivers would have to go slower through a high-speed turn were the practice crashes occurred.
    Teams met with race organizers and all but Ferrari asked for a chicane to be installed to slow cars into the fast turn. No chicane -- a barrier to turn a straight into a short turn -- was installed.

``We wanted to go but it wasn't possible,'' Williams BMW driver Mark Webber said on Speedchannel. ``There's no gray area. We don't know what it's going to do.''

3. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

The f...... b.......!:oops: :mad:

(censored by myself)

4. SSK

SSK Registered Member

This is a SAD day for Formula 1!

It shows that reforms are necessary in the structure of Formula 1 racing (more flexibility in the rules etc.).

IMHO Michelin did the right thing... I still remember the crash Ralph Schumacher had last year, it was not funny :blink:

Last but not least: Christijan Albers, congrats with the 5th place :D

5. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

From the sound and overall tone of these articles, they seem to be placing more blame on Michelin than Formula 1. Why? Because Michelin was concerned about safety? That's crazy.

We don't need drivers killed just because Formula 1 had a sheduled race to take place. I seriously HOPE I'm reading this wrong, but it sounds as though the blame is being placed squarely on Michelin for pulling out, rather than risking injury or death to the drivers.

No wonder NASCAR has surpassed Indy cars in popularity here in the states....

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If michellin was worried about the safety of their tires why were they on the cars at all.

7. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Michelin knew several weeks before the race their tyres where not fit for Indianapolis.

Reconstructing the circuit to suit Michelin and camouflage their bad job is crazy.

Question: when Bridgestone delivered the same bad job like Michelin did, was than the reaction of the "Michelin" teams the same?

I don't think so......

8. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

I agree 100%!!!!

9. JRCATES

Even still, my main point is that NASCAR has far surpassed Indy car/Formula 1 here in the US....and incidents like this won't help change that fact.

10. bigc73542

I still believe that formula1racing is the premier format in auto racing. the elite if you will. I have built and raced stock cars for several years in the past and really enjoyed it but I have never liked nascar and I doubt if I ever will. But back to F1, there is always some form of crisis in all forms of racing but they work them selfs out in time and this will be the same.

11. JRCATES

Wish I had a dollar for everytime I've heard this (LOL). Having grown up in Owensboro, KY (home of Darrell and Michael Waltrip...Jeff, David and Mark Green....as well as Jeremy Mayfield), it's hard NOT to follow the sport. At least you didn't follow it up with the usual, stereotypically ignorant "redneck" type comments that so many who aren't even familiar with the sport do, bigc.....

12. bigc73542

I don't dislike nascar for what it is I just don't like the boring round and round you go racing, I much prefer F1 And rally racing because to me it is much more exciting to actually race off road (rally) or on a road type course. I like very high tech engines and the detroit pushrod engine just doesn't fit that description.

13. Formular 1 is a joke nowadays. There is far too much interference from the FIA and other bodies who insist on introducing legislation after l;egislation like the proposed one about a single tyre brand.

What are your guys opions on Minardi and Jorden. When I was watching it on ITV the commintator said that both minardi and Jorden had said they woudnt run, but then Jorden went and ran so Minardi had to because they couldnt afford to let Jorden get the upper hand.

Nowadays there seems to be too much back room goings on in the sport as well as far more interference then is necessary.

Ontop of that (this is my view), Formular one has gotten boring. Ok yeh it has picked up a little now more teams are competing with Ferrari, but it is still pretty boring after the first 10 laps. I myself enjoy watching Nascar and Indy, but I can only see the like highlights on channel 5 at stupidly early times in the morning. Even the BTTC is more interesting and thats relativly dull.

On another note anyone catch anything of the TT and whos been waching the Le Mon 24 hours. I cant watch it because I havnt got sky and im trying to look round finding highlights but cant :( Now this is a race. You have to love the Le Mon, everything about it, the whole way it works and the sheer number of teams competing.

Michael.

14. bigc73542

(quote)( Nowadays there seems to be too much back room goings on in the sport as well as far more interference then is necessary.)

This type of thing goes on in every type of racing there is, it is all about money not the sport. Anyone that believes differently is just to far out of the loop to realize it is just a commercial offering. the actual competition of wanting to win just to be able to say Hey I won that race has been gone for quite a while now. Big money and greed has just about destroyed it or is at least working at it. It really is a sad state of affairs.

15. SSK

SSK Registered Member

No BigC, winning for the honor is still there... With the drivers and the fans. (Saw Tiago Monteiro's face today on the podium? :) )

16. bigc73542

I really would like to believe that fervor is still alive in some of the drivers and teams.

17. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

LOL,

It never had much of a chance anyway.

F1 hasn't been popular overall in the US of A since the 60's and 70's. Barely a blip on the radar screen down there. As for Indy it used to be popular in years gone by, not sure now. It's huge when it comes to town here in Toronto.

snowbound

18. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

I felt really bad for the American fans. If I were them I would start a class action suit for Ticket, Hotel, Food and travel costs. I am sure that Mr George the owner of the track will sue them big time as he will be held responsible for paying back the fans(F1 commentators said this).

19. JRCATES

I don't know, snowbound.....Indy racing was fairly popular in the states in the 80's....especially the early to mid 80's. Seems like once Foyt left and Mario's better days were behind him, a lot of fan interest left with them. Then not to mention the whole CART debacle in the 90's.

I think it would take an American superstar to bring back fan interest here.....and there just doesn't seem to be any of those these days. Perhaps if Tony Stewart had went full-time in Indy car rather than NASCAR......

20. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

As i said, Indy was but F1, not for a long, long time. ;) :D

snowbound

21. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

I don't know about you guys but - Danica Patrick has certainly sparked my interest - and not only because she's cute but because she's damn fast (set a course record at Pepsi Center and numerous pole positions). Apparently she has for many, as ratings have soared compared to years prior. She'll be winning races because she's got what it takes.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2005
  22. bigc73542

cars nice the driver is ok also :D ;) might be the attraction needed to draw back interest in the sport to it's glory days.

Attached Files:

23. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Certainly a nice driver! :D

Shame I don't like Indycar Racing. Maybe we can transfer her to F1? :D :blink:

24. bigc73542

Yeah she might like a more expensive car?

25. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.