The Ultimate Troubleshooter

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by still_longhorn, Nov 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. still_longhorn

still_longhorn Registered Member

I installed the evaluation copy of TUT from answersthatwork.com 'coz it seemed like an interesting app with potentials. However, upon running the app, the first thing to catch my attention was a warning stating that the Spybot S&D Tea timer was an unwanted process. There is no explanation in the evaluation copy as to why it has detected the Tea Timer as such (but it has made me wary of the application since Spybot S&D is one of my most trusted applications.)

However, all its other recommendations regarding my configuration were quite accurate and worth considering... Is there a good explanation as to why The Ultimate Troubleshooter came up with this conclusion?

2. bch

bch Registered Member

This is what they have to say from http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_t.htm.

"Teatimer : SpyBot Sytems Settings Protector task which runs in the System Tray and which is installed when you install SpyBot Search & Destroy 1.3 or later. This task has the dual function of providing on the one hand a System Tray icon which enables the end-user to configure or run SpyBot options on‑the‑fly, and on the other hand it warns the user if programs which SpyBot does not know about, attempt to modify the Windows Registry.

Recommendation :
    At the time of writing, 28‑Oct‑2004, we feel that this task is potentially too dangerous. We would like to see the following option on the right-click menu for TEATIMER : “Disable Registry Changes Monitoring”. While we think that SpyBot is a brilliant product, it is our view that the majority of end‑users will not have the required technical knowledge to really know when or when not to block Windows Registry changes, with the results that we have already witnessed too often where end-users end-up with vital software not functioning properly because the end-user thought it was a good idea to block the Registry change which TEATIMER alerted him/her to ! Our recommendation, therefore, is to right-click on the TEATIMER icon in the System Tray and choose “Exit SpyBot S&D Resident” and to then disable this task on the Startups tab of The Ultimate Troubleshooter."

Mmm, I suppose they have a point, but as long as people read the Help File, and understand what it does, there should be no problem.

3. still_longhorn

Thanks BCH...

I'm glad that I don't have to uninstall either.... I'd like both apps to co-exist...

4. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

This information is not precise, because the working method of Teatimer
    1) do not enable to identify the affected software at all, and
    2) do not enable to warn about an a modification attempts.
    It simply detects that the registry contents differ from the contents observed a few seconds ago, which means that the modification was not merely an attempt, but succeeded. Teatimer can afterwards undo the change, if the user chooses so.
    -hojtsy-

5. james232r

james232r Guest

It also has a list of process names that it feels are malware, and terminates them?

6. bch

bch Registered Member

I think we are getting away from the point of the original question. TUT is basically saying, don't use TeaTimer unless you understand what it does. Most registry monitors will say "do you want to enable the change" when, in fact, the change has already been made. By answering yes, the registry monitor has to do nothing, by answering no, the registry monitor will undo the change.

MJRegistrywatcher is better protection in this respect but now I am guilty of meandering from the real point of the question, lol.

7. still_longhorn

I knew what I was asking about and I fully understood your answer.... so thanks again BCH.

8. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

I think the inprecise information provided for Novice users by TUT, can mislead them to disable TeaTimer believeing that it's functionality is limited to what TUT tells. Exactly novices who do not know what are they doing need TeaTimer to stop them from running spywares, so I disagree with the advice of TUT even for novice users. It is even possible that the limited knowledge of TUT authors drove them to this conclusion. I have sent feedback to them with more precise information for TeaTimer.
    -hojtsy-

9. still_longhorn

I see your point hojtsy. However, given the dozens of "necessary" Third party applications just to have a semblance of security, system conflicts are inevitable. How many conflict analysis utilities with the likes of TUT can one choose from?

On the other hand, how many substitutes are there to take over the functions of tea timer. Lots....

I would have chosen to retain TUT had the hard questions been asked, knowing that Win Patrol, Spysweeper and DCS Regprotect can take up the slack left by Tea Timer.

TUT together with TU2004 have kept my Event Viewer really spotless. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.