The Ultimate FREE Security Solution

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by enthios, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enthios

enthios Registered Member

After more years than I care to remember, of trying in vain to secure cascading versions of Windows, I finally found the ultimate solution, and it's free. It keeps the morally bankrupt creeps out and my files in. It's immune to virii, and malware, and the kid next door. It does not have any designed in back doors. No need for a/v, anti-malware, behavior blockers, RTD, Sandboxi, SSM, MD, or the Commode. It's secure by design.

It's called Linux. The flavor I chose is Linux-Mint, (from the genus Ubuntu). However there are a multitude of flavors to choose from, and the worst of them is a quantum leap in improvement from Windoze. See also "Puppy-Linux", only 88mb, runs from a CD, Flash Drive or hard disk. Or try the even smaller "Damn Small Linux".

With Linux, I get my work done, turn off the machine, and go out and play while it's still daylight. I have my life back!

I call it FREEDOM. Give it a try.

--Enthios

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I wish I could get Ubuntu on my laptop but my ATI card and it don't get along. :(

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

There are 2 ways to get the ATI drivers on Ubuntu. Ubuntu itself usually offers to install the restricted driver for you shortly after install. If that doesn't cut it, then you can also try downloading the latest from the ATI site and install manually. I've done it both ways on mine and it works fine. The download will be a .run file. Just open a terminal and type:

"sudo sh ati-installer-blah-blah-blah.run"

and that should install it. Then after the driver installer quits, type:

"sudo aticonfig --initial"

and reboot. That's it....

4. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

Windows could be more secure to, if users didn't log in with full Administration rights:rolleyes:

It's true Linux doesn't face the large amount of threats Windows does, it's also set up to be more secure by default. I think what gets me though is this attitude 'Linux is immune and nothing can ever touch me', but I'm not completely convinced. Lets Remember Windows has a larger user base, so it stands to reason it's going to be targeted more. Also novice windows users are more likely to fool into Malware creators traps while the average Linux user has more computing experience.

Switching to Linux completely is not always possible for everyone since the majority of commercial Software is designed to run on Windows. Linux is also not very beginner friendly and I know many people who just about understand how to click on programs within windows. Don't get me wrong, I haven't got anything against Linux because I use the Distribution Ubuntu on a dual boot and like it very much. Ditching Windows for Linux is just not viable for me.

The best defense against Malware is Commonsense and from using good practices, I haven't experienced any infection in quite sometime. Think of Malware detection software as a second defense rather than relying on it.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, I would have to say that both are good and have their respective merits (Win & Linux). The ultimate free security solution is probably just the user's brain. Use it right, and you won't face problems in Win either.

6. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Absolutley agree.I had to laugh when a sales guy at a local computer shop told me macs are safe and do not get infected.My response to the gentlemen that he was wrong and macs can become infected or hacked and have he heard of codecs and IF any OS was totaly secure there would be no need for updates patches would there.So a your lieing to your customers or you are miss informed.Then he said well yes true but you really do not need a AV or spyware in general for protection.Again my response back was mostly thats true but what about being responseable for windows clients friends and family.He was speechlees for a few seconds then excused him self toward another customer.Needless to say I purchased windows again but did not purchase from Him.For the most part nix base is much more secure and IMO mostly from market share if the shoe was on the other foot I bet windows would not be the primary target of malware/virusus etc.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  7. normishmael

normishmael Guest

I have used the wubi ubantu program and really liked it
    the whole "repository" thing is a learning curve for me.
    I do not claim to know how Windows works,
    but I half-arse know how to work Windows.
    With Ubuntu it was "dont know" and "dont know".
    But I will say this,if forced by whatever,I am not in the least afraid of leaving Micro$oft.
    I can do it.
    That is a pretty good feeling.

8. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

No problem when you choose the matrix but you won´t escape as human entity, also not with a pseudo linux security feeling ...:D :D :D .. and not as apple freak.. the problem is beyond operating system... btw you can reach the same attitude in windows it depends on your mental modulation. Linux is like a dry desert in relation to Windows if you want a rich, high evolved software collection in profusion especially related to multimedia power. Don´t understand me wrong Ubuntu and some Linux stuff is useful but Windows is unmatched, many Linux derivatives aim only to copy Windows feeling, handling and design....that speaks volumes.

Absolutely nothing is secure by design on this planet (because everything changes too fast.. the time factor and the attack range is by far too wide) but you can reach a secure attitude.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.