The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed.

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by jdixon2278, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdixon2278

jdixon2278 Registered Member

Testing Returnil on a few workstations, I received that error message after 30 days. The user could not log in. To fix this problem temporarily, I had to:

1. Log in under the local admin account.
    2. Disable Returnil and reboot.
    3. Under the local admin account, I had to unjoin from the domain.
    4. Removed the computer object from Active Directory (Server 2003).
    5. Rejoin the domain and re-activate Returnil.

After 30 days, the error message reoccurs and the user is unable to log in. I have tested this on 3 workstations with Returnil and Shadow Defender and they both cause this issue. It can occur before 30 days depending if the server is rebooted but it is guaranteed to occur after 30 days.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and is there a solution? Thanks.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello jdixon2278 and welcome to the forums :)

This is a known issue and is a direct result of the dropping of changes when the client system is restarted while in Virtual Mode. This is most usually associated with dynamic server/client certificate updates (certificate updates are "forgotten" resulting in the client restoring to potentially outdated information). In testing, your method is valid, but resetting the server can be a faster workaround.

Have you tried that method or does your current setup not allow this?

Mike

3. jdixon2278

jdixon2278 Registered Member

Thank you, Coldmoon, for your response. About your suggestion, by resetting the server, I assume you mean restarting the server. I went ahead and tried restarting the server. I still got the error message. I also turned Returnil off for the client and restarted the server again. Again, no luck.

If this is a known issue, it seems like the companies that make such virtualization programs would be able to pinpoint the problem and address it. Perhaps it is more complicated than I am aware of.

Thanks again for your help.

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

It is known, but also difficult to address. We have been researching the issue for some time now and the main problem is directly related to the registry and saving selective changes (ref: certificate updates at the client). Have you tried activating the "Save all changes" option just before and slightly after the certificate update at the 30 day mark? This should save the registry changes on the client associated with the certificate update and keep the client logged in.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.