The Symantec/Norton Thread.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mayahana, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

1) you can never tell how light or heavy an AV is simply by looking at the memory consumption as there are many variables to performance such as how it handles on the fly scanning and stuff.

But with that said, I see it using 6 MB as we speak

2) Just installed all my software WITH norton security on and I can guarantee you this, the software installed just as if there was no AV, it's that light. I'm not talking about small programs, I am talking about huge programs such as Nero 2015 Platinum Suite and all the Adobe CS 6 suite. If I had another AV, I know it is slower because I have monitored how fast those programs installed without an AV and Norton here aces this with the least performance hit.

dddddddd.png

2. imdb

imdb Registered Member

thanks, bud.
    do you know of any discount code for nis or nav 2015? (digital delivery)

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

There is no NIS or NAV 2015. The new products are called Norton Security and Norton Security with Backup which are more like N360 than either NAV or NIS.

4. imdb

imdb Registered Member

very well, so be it. discount code for ns or nswb 2015 it is then.

5. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Yes no need for the NS + Online Backup, just go for Norton Security which includes an antivirus + Firewall, all you need really and the firewall is excellent and doesn't bug you with notifications that an app is trying to connect unless it's really dangerous off-course

Norton also removed the registry cleaner (Thank God) so you shouldn't have any stupid bloat that may destroy your system.

It also catches tracking cookies so no need to install SUPERAntiSpyware if you do install it like me to remove tracking cookies.

It also cleans up your junk files and optimizes your disks, it is smart enough to not defragment an SSD so you shouldn't worry if you have one

please install it and let us know what you think

PS: after installing it, run the initial update then reboot, then update again and run a full system scan, then be the judge on how light it is

6. Arsenal

Arsenal Registered Member

Wow.. These companies are not making it easy for me to transition our home users away from Eset at the moment. First of all Trend can't give me a straight answer on how we can purchase Antivirus+ licenses for End Users, and now Norton won't even sell their current products in Australia? Might have to look into Avira next, though i don't think their interface looks as polished as the others.

7. imdb

imdb Registered Member

will do asap, bud.
    but i just don't like the idea of adding extra tools to an av product. so is it possible to discard the extras during installation?

8. imdb

imdb Registered Member

may i ask why you opt to ditch the eset products, if you don't mind?

9. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Unfortunately not, but it's very easy to disable them in the settings

Also make sure you click on the Identity icon in the middle, then turn off Identity Safe that's just a password manager. ( I use LastPass so I don't need it)

I'm with you on this and prefer an AV only but on my search for the best AV these 3 months, I am now convinced that there is no perfect AV, you just have to pick the one which doesn't hurt your performance, protects you most, and has the least quirks.

10. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

probably the same reason which I did, performance

11. imdb

imdb Registered Member

couldn't have said that any better.

12. Arsenal

We've had a few issues with the firewall in ESS, and there have been some performance issues raised here which now that we've compared a few other products are actually noticeable. Aside from that there has been a change with the Distributor here in Australia and we're not particularly enamoured with it... mind you, they're probably still ahead of Trend and Symantec at this point as they will actually sell us licenses!

13. imdb

imdb Registered Member

i see. you had those performance issues on win 8.1 or on a previous version of windows?

14. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

for me, on both

15. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

They tell me it will be available here in Oz later this year.... some time. I'm lucky I got given a licence for beta testing.

16. Arsenal

I have only tested the Eset performance on Windows 8.1 myself, but from what people say its unlikely to be any different for our clients still running Windows 7.

Unfortunately we have clients whose Eset licenses are up for renewal right now, so we can't really tell them to wait until some time later this year. For now i'm going to pursue Trend a little further as we have past experience with their Home software many years ago before Eset and actually still use WFBS for some of our SMB clients.

17. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

NAV, NIS and N360 are still available where ever NS / NSwB aren't if they want to use Norton.

18. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

sadly without an option to ask before deleting i will no longer touch norton products. and i dont mean on demand scan i mean real time wise. you can set to ask for on demand but not for real time. anything that auto deletes or removes i refuse to run.

also they run this at 50% off all the time. i have seen it numerous times at 50% off. imo 30% is only ehh.

19. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It's the same for me too.

20. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

how so man? this picture that I posted was a thread in real time while I was trying to run it, it didn't auto delete, it popped out a message asking me do I want keep it in Quarantine or restore and exclude from detection?

dyxcbb.jpg.png

21. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@Mortal Raptor Some threats (not all) are quarrantined automaitcally, and there is no way to change this behaviour.

22. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

I understand, to me that's not the biggest issue as long as there is a simple way to restore back the file which is just a click of a button as you see from the illustration I posted.

I'd rather live with this than to have other major system quirks such as extreme system or internet slow down, or bugs here and there, or event log hidden errors (Avira does that BTW).

But to each his own

23. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Full System Scan of around 6 TB completed in 30 minutes, that's very fast:

scan.png

22.png

22222222.png

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  24. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

the problem lies in that some files get removed and are gone there were some files i could not restore. they were not even available to restore after it deleted them. there is an option for some files but not all.

25. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Then I understand your point of view then. Makes sense. I'll live with that personally since I rarely have FPs since all my software are genuine / licensed and keep no cracks or activator or key gens (not saying that you do BTW).

Just loving the new performance of my laptop now, feels to me like I bought an upgrade because at the end of the day, the AV determines the overall performance of my laptop no matter how powerful it was, if I put a heavy AV all my investment in the laptop is gone to a waste and Norton Security gave me that max performance I could get that I was seeking. Been a very tough search after trying every AV under the sun.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.