The Symantec/Norton Thread.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mayahana, Jan 21, 2015.

1. waters

waters Registered Member

I have Norton Antivirus and it keeps nagging me to install the toolbar, Safe Browsing Safe Search etc saying my browsing is not protected. Do i need to install any of these Norton extensions. It installed the safe Btowsing but hate all the green ticks so removed.

2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Is it Norton Antivirus v21 or Norton Security v22.

NAV v21 does not have a toolbar included but does install the Stand-Alone ID Safe which can be uninstalled from Windows Control Panel.

With NS v22 the best option is to install the Norton Identity Safe extension and the Norton Toolbar extension, then disable them.

That should solve the nagging prompts.

3. RandomP

RandomP Registered Member

So, in addition to my previous question regarding IMAP and SSL scanning. Are these unnecessary? Will I be protected if I have mail accounts that are IMAP and SSL?

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Unless someone else can confirm I am incorrect, I believe your protection would be limited to detecting malicious attachments when the file is received to your hard drive. I don't believe the Antispam functions in any way whatsoever in this situation and I don't think it scans the contents of your email.

5. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

you can't add the ports ssl encrypted mail uses to norton ,normally 995 and 465,but it still seems to catch spam on them

6. xxJackxx

If you find it works for you, great! I have never had it identify ANY mail as spam, where other products have. A quick search of their forums for "antispam ssl" brings multiple results, the first of which is this one:
    http://community.norton.com/en/forums/nis-antispam-does-not-work-ssl-0
    Not a huge issue for me as I don't find it a showstopper (don't care, have to deal with the spam either way), but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work and never has. It does not seem to support IMAP, encrypted or not. Search for "antispam IMAP", see here:
    http://community.norton.com/en/forums/anti-spam-protection-imap-accounts

7. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

only said it seems to catch some spam,I use mailwasher but sometimes if I don't bounce/delete spam in there it goes to junk mail folder in outlook,may be norton or it may be outlooks spam filter doing it,I do know that norton won't allow you to add the ssl ports to its list of monitored ports to catch spam

8. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

9. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

10. xxJackxx

Probably 99% likely that is just Outlook's junk email filter. It does a better job than most 3rd party antispam anyway.

11. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

Tried Norton 2016 beta. I was disappointed that beta tester's serial has only 14 days on it :O
    Instantly uninstalled it. They have something to learn from Webroot in this regard (Webroot offer MUCH longer time to test out the product/continue testing it for future beta versions).

12. xxJackxx

It's a Windows 10 beta more than a 2016 beta. Their trial key is always 14 days, and they extend it in 14 day increments as you continue to test.

13. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

Could be but still. I'm not interested to test if I can't run it for longer period of time and have to renew every now and then. Does it auto-renew?

14. xxJackxx

The last time I tested for them it did auto-renew.

15. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

I can't say they always do this but normally if you help beta test, they send you a complimentary product key (1 year) when released...at least they did on the current NS 2015. Might have been a one time deal.

16. xxJackxx

Even when they don't they almost always send you an offer for a huge discount.

17. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Oh, where to start?

Yeah, the test licence is for 14 days, but in the past at the end of the subscription you just clicked Renew on the main GUI and it gave you an extra 14 days, then you needed to get another Product Key after that. They certainly could do it a much more user-friendly way, but that is the way they do it.

That's what I thought too, but I have been told that they want to make sure the next version which will be W10 compatible, is also working fine on other Operating Systems. I'm currently testing on one of my W7 machines.

Well, last beta the offered those who beta tested, "and gave valuable feedback" [posted in the Public Beta board at Norton Community] a free 1 year subscription. This was not offered to everyone who did not post I believe.

Cheers!

18. malexous

malexous Registered Member

That seems to be the only criteria. No quality/quantity needed and no need to sign up for the Beta.

19. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I'm not disagreeing but Symantec employee in charge of the beta posted this.

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/5934761#comment-5934761

20. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Norton not only gave a 1 year 5 PC lic to beta testers but turned around a few weeks later and extended it to a 10 PC Lic. :)

21. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Same here.....

22. xxJackxx

Disappointing that Norton does not support the Firefox ESR. Since 37.x crashes repeatedly and 36.0.4 gives warnings of security issues, it's currently the only Firefox I can run. Back to KIS I guess...

...can't find my key. 36.0.4 it is for now. This is all very frustrating.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  23. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Good time beta. So really just recommended to install on W10?

24. xxJackxx

You can install on any supported Windows, I'm sure they want to make sure it works for everyone. I probably won't bother since I got locked out of their forums when they upgraded them and don't seem to be able to reclaim my account.

25. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

As far as I know, all you need to do is reset your password.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.