The Summer Olympic Games in Athens, Greece, Aug.13-29

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by gerardwil, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    Congrats Korea!
    And yes; Isn't that what make the olympics so lovely? One can watch sports that one rarely sees on telly, and get enthousiast about them!
    Yes, sure archery can be thrilling to watch; it's like curling in winter olympics - never thought I would love to watch a few guys/gals with mobs on an icefloor.... but it cought my attention and I was addicted...silly huh?
    :D

2. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Go Justine

You're our N° 1

Attached Files:

3. slammer_JvA

Allez: féliciter Belgique :)

4. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Félicitiations, Justine.
    She won our first Gold medal.
    Way to go! :D

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

6. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

men's 100 mtr. finals in about 9 minutes

7. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hats off to Paula Radcliffe folks.....what a Star.....but just too much on the day.........a true professional.....

Cochise, :cool:

8. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Heres a no brainer. The Corean male jymnast won the gold on points. The US guy got the gold because the judges messed up and then fessed up. I would think that the proper thing to do is to give the Corean his deserved medal and let the US guy keep his with an *. Of course the Corean will not have his picture on a cereal box. But, thats show business folks!

big ed

9. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

The Koreans have a very legitimate beef because the judges blew their man's beginning score, from which points are deducted as errors are made. Had it been a question of subjective judging of his performance, they'd be as out of luck as a baseball manager protesting an umpire's call.

10. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

The whole thing is rigged!! I want my money back!! :D

Just kidding. ;)

Really need to go to a more scientific method of judging like maybe computer animations of what "Perfect" would be and then have instant computer analysis of the routine and a comparison that shows deviation from "perfect". No more of this playing favorites by the judges baloney!

Personally, I think the athletes are not to blame for this. They all did a fantastic job.

11. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

So do all those paying customers sitting amongst the mostly-empty seats @ many of the venues! :rolleyes:

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The television viewing is up however, from the last Olympics.

13. slammer_JvA

May be, but in the end imho attending sportactivities LIVE is the ultimate joy; it's a shame the whole thing is being advertised as bringing the games back to where they came from (Greece/ the people!), and then make ticket-prices too high for that (in comparison) poor population...
    I believe theré should be a noble job for all the multinationals supporting this olympics.

But it will eventually come down to pay-per-view for every telly-watcher as well, I fear....

Ok, money makes the world go round (o_O ) but when do we (western) people finally learn that money is a tool , not the destination...

Just some philosophical thoughts... I know...I am a lonely big mouth in a dessert (surrounded with greedy fools).... :(

regards,
    slammer

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  14. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I watched the LIVE telecast of the Closing Ceremony of the Athens 2004 Olympic Games already. The next Olympics will be held in China's capital city, Beijing.

15. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

I agree, Slammer, a tool is useful to everyone, a destination is usually the end of something. You aren't alone, everyone is looking for their tool(s).!!!

Marja:cool:

16. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

The TV coverage here was, IMO, inferior to past games. Too many egotistical "fatheads" having to get their monickers plastered all over the TV instead of actual viewing of the games themselves. They must think we need to be told very s-i-n-g-l-e step of the way in a race, etc. [sorry, ending rant now :blink: ]

Yes, time differences made it difficult for a lot of people, and I was one of the lucky ones, worked late afternoon/night, so came home to catch a lot of the live action, into the early mornings.

Purely in terms of seats occupied V's TV viewers, the population of a country helps with that, but I do think the threat of terrorism was a major deciding factor for many people. Geeze... they were even GIVING away tickets for some venues in an attempt to get more seats filled.

Still, just think of the ones that actually made the venues, no hassles with large crowds to contend with, no queues at toilets, no queues at the "hot dog" stands [sorry cannot think of a Greek 'fastfood', does Souvilaki [sp?] count, or is it even Greek, lol].

But overall, it would have to classed as a success, I thought the opening and closing ceremonies were very very good. :)

There were some fantastic records broken, especially at the cycling veladrome, phew... In one final alone, I saw 4 Olympic records broken in just 5 races in the one individual event. Fantastic. ;)

As for that Iranian Super heavyweight lifter, doing an incredilbe 263.5Kg lift in Clean and Jerk for new record.. wow.... In his FIRST lift, he did 250Kg, and that was at least 5Kg heavier than anyone could even get to, let alone win. He won the gold on that very first lift and then had the guts to come out and try for World/Olympic record. He missed that mark at second attempt, but on his third go, got it.

That's what it's all about.

My most poignant moment: Well, one cannot go past that poor marathon runner, almost getting crash tackled by that mad mongrel moron who is well known for upsetting major events, and the runner still held on to win the bronze. Superb guts and determination. Not a dry eye in the house, so to speak.

hmmm.. rambled enough, TAS

TAS

17. Marja

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE ATHLETES -
    TO ALL THE COUNTRIES WHO PARTICIPATED-

WE ALL KNOW IT TAKES LOTS OF HARD WORK AND DEDICATION TO PULL OFF THE FEATS OF SKILL THAT YOU DO!

SO THANK YOU ONE AND ALL!!

(Will someone get Emmons off the field with that rifle!!!) :) :)

MARJA:cool:

18. Marja

I didn't watch it as much as last time, it seemed the time I had didn't match the time the games were on.

I don't chew my nails, but, during the 10m diving championship, I couldn't stop watching as first Canada, then Australia, then China, then Austrailia, then Canada, you get it! Whew I was wore out by the time that was over and track and field was just beginning!!

It was great to see new world records and new people win, that's what it was always about to me, the athletes!

Not the TV personalities, ages ago winners, it's about watching hard working, dedicated, talented people challenge, not so much others, but, themselves!!

The closing and opeing were great what I saw of them, Greece really DID pull it off, they always said they would, no one believed them!!:) :)

Can't wait to see what fireworks will go on in Bejiing!!!

Marja

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.