The Rise of the Anti-Ad Blockers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jun 14, 2016.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Thanks for the article Ron. Interesting!

It's a sad state of affairs. I understand the need to generate revenue (nothing is or can be truly free) but until ads are less invasive and safe from exploits, I don't see much of a choice for anyone wanting to have some privacy and computer safety but to continue blocking ads as best they can.

3. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Very informative, Ron.
    This is a step in the right direction, IMO!

----
    rich

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes, let's hope that these companies will succeed. I hope they are not dumb enough to think that people will put up with annoying ads. For me it's very simple, if a site becomes slow to load and annoying to read, I just stop using the site.

5. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

First I try to fix the site by utilizing the blocker plugin, and failing that, I do the same as you.

6. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Rupert Murdoch is on top of this.

http://nypost.com/content-control.html

But you can breath a sigh of relief cuz this tactic has not yet been implemented on The National Enquirer,also part of the Murdoch Empire.

So if you want to read what, is in effect, a printed version of Fox News your in trouble, but if you'd prefer to read salacious gossip about Hollywood and political celebrities your still OK with an ad-blocker.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  7. hawki

hawki Registered Member

These anti-adblocker companies are advised to tread lightly or risk violating 18 U.S.C. § 1030 : US Code - Section 1030: Fraud and related activity in connection with computers.

Under Section a)(5) (A) of The Act it is a crime to "knowingly causes the transmission of a program, information, code, or command, and as a result of such conduct, intentionally causes damage without authorization, to a protected computer;" [NB: virtually any computer connected to the internet is a "protected computer."]

Under The Act "the term "damage" means any impairment to the integrity or availability of data, a program, a system, or information;"

I guess if the ad is inherently safe and thus can not be detected by the ad blocker its ok. But if code is first sent to deteremine if the initially intended ad is blockable then The Act could come into play since code was transmitted that impaired the integrity or availability of a program.

Best to focus on preventing ads containing malicious/data mining scripts from being included in an ad network.

Ad Blockers don't kill revenue, malicious ads that force the visitor to use an ad blocker to protect themselves do.

8. Simple using ScriptBlocker for Chrome to block third party (allow same domain). Not for security, but because blocking third party effectively blocks most advertisements and trackers. When a site does not function properly I simply whitelist it. When it has anti-adblock scripts running I simply put it on the blacklist. This prevents same domain (first party) scrypts to run, including the ad-block detection script :)

upload_2016-6-20_8-35-34.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2016
  9. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

10. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

yes, the element picker is one of uBlockO's best features :thumb:

11. Sampei Nihira

You need to check the website the next day.
    If there is a malfunction best to use Script Inline function:

Immagine.jpg

12. uBlock is ------- for some fun to play with, for others (like me) way to much effort, but every man to his own preference.

EDIT ----- text removed

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2016
  13. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Attached Files:

14. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

With uBlock you can tweak it how deep you want to go with it.
    That doesn't mean, its can't be used with minute effort. :doubt: It just provides more granularity! ;)

I agree it is up-to every ones preference!! (And u doesn't stand for micro-management, and i dont think the name says it ;) )

For example, like script blocker for chrome, this particular detection script (inline actually), can be blocked with a single click in uBlock too;)
    uBlock NY Post.png
    However, doing so, will break web-site functionality in both Script-blocker and uBlock. And uBlock can circumvent it (At-least in Firefox easily) by blocking only the offending inline script, not just blanket blocking all inline scripts :)
    Code:
    nypost.com##script:contains(_sp)
    Edit: It looks like, this anti-adblock comes into play only, iff the user is blocking scripts from wp.com :). So, i don't think any users with default blocking in uBlock Origin would ever encounter this anti-adblock thing! Might explain why ghostery has no problem. Its not blocking wp.com :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  15. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

I use Anti Adblocker Killer (Reek) along with Ublock Origin and it blocks those paywalls and anti adblockers.

If it doesnt work in a specify site, I just dont bother and dont visit it anymore. For me it is simple, I wont disable Ublock, I prefer to stop using some sites.

16. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Thanks, will check it out.

17. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I just stop using sites that take all day to load even with an adblocker. If a site won't let me use it because I have an adblocker, I just don't use the site. I understand the need for advertising, but until the intrusive 'in yer face' adverts that block entire pages cease they will lose me. Which kind of defeats their own object in the first place.

18. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    this is for chrome , under firefox i haven't the left panel , i can click on "vai al registro delle richieste" but i don't get the left panel
    why?
    i use the last version of firefox and ublock origin 1.7.0
    thanks

19. Nightwalker

20. Sampei Nihira

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  21. uBlock was originally μBlock

Micro
    - (symbol μ) is a unit prefix in the metric system denoting a factor of 10−6 (one millionth). Confirmed in 1960, the prefix comes from the Greek μικρός (mikrós), meaning "small". The symbol for the prefix comes from the Greek letter μ (mu).

22. gorhill

gorhill Guest

It's misleading. The default settings, which you get at first install, there is nothing to micro-manage. The micro-management is entirely opt-in.

23. You are the author, so I take your word for it and won't dispute your answer: uBlock was originally μBlock, the μ did not stand for mikros?

24. Nightwalker

Yes, I think the reason for this name is that uBlock is very light, consuming few resources than other ad blockers.

uMatrix is the extension that needs micro management.

25. Well let's ask the one who knows: Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaymmmmmmmmooooond Hillllllll AKA @gorhill

Micro- (symbol μ) is a unit prefix in the metric system denoting a factor of 10−6 (one millionth). Confirmed in 1960, the prefix comes from the Greek μικρός (mikrós), meaning "small". The symbol for the prefix comes from the Greek letter μ (mu).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.