The right FileSystem for RAM-DVDs

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Artemisa, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artemisa

Artemisa Registered Member

What is the right FS (file system) for DVD-RAMs to be used for images?
    FAT32, INCDFS, UDF1.5 UDF2.0 etc?

They will be preformatted with
    - Nero InCD 4.3.20.1
    - using an internal LG GSA-4163B Multi Burner
    - TI 9 #2.337
    - Verbatim DVD-RAM

1. for the "direct" method?
    2. for the "two-step" method?

From inside Windows:
    I tried the "two-step" method with both FAT32 and INCDFS and everything worked fine.
    File size was 3.7 GB. Archive check was OK, could also plug (mount) the images; did not do a real restore/recovery.

With bootable TI:
    I tried the "two-step" method with both FAT32 and INCDFS.
    - with FAT32 the burner was recognized, the image file was not recognized (because of 3.7 GB file size?).
    - with INCDFS the burner and the image file were recognized.

What would be the preferred FS?

Thanks
    Artemisa

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Artemisa,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that it is recommended to use UDF format (any version) for both writing an image to DVD directly and using two-step method.

Please also note that you should "finalize" discs when formatting them into UDF. Otherwise, Acronis True Image might not recognize files (images) residing on DVD when it is running from Bootable Rescue CD.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. Artemisa

Artemisa Registered Member

Thanks Alexey,

Please be aware that it is recommended to use UDF format (any version) for both writing an image to DVD directly and using two-step method.
    OK, using e.g. UDF2.0 I can read and verify the image files (on RAM media) also using TI Bootable Rescue CD.

Please also note that you should "finalize" discs when formatting them into UDF. Otherwise, Acronis True Image might not recognize files (images) residing on DVD when it is running from Bootable Rescue CD.
    How does one finalize a RAM disk?
    I format the DVD-RAM with InCD in UDF2.0 file system, then I just copy (using the "two-step" method) the image file on the RAM disk. That's all and everything seems to be OK.

Do I miss something?

Thanks and regards
    Artemisa

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Artemisa,

Please accept my sincere apologies for providing you with the wrong information. The point is that you certainly do not need to finalize disc when formatting it into UDF. Moreover, it is not possible, as far as I know.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.