The right anti-virus?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Uguel707, Nov 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hi!
    I'm a new internet user and new to pc world and not very acquainted with the best anti-virus. When I bought my pc in last July 02, Norton anti-virus was installed in it as advised by the vendor. But I read on the net that Norton can be good for diagnosing a virus but not for repairing. So, which anti-virus should I look for?
    Thank You and have a nice day!

Uguel707

Attached Files:

2. controler

controler Guest

Umm that would be wrong info you received. Norton is one of the best a repairing files--- that is if they are worth repairing. Otherwise you can delete them of Quarantine them for further study.
    Norton was the very first AV product and also the very first e-mail protection AV. All others came afterwords.
    Yes there are others that are good also and most here will disagree with me on many things but I suggest Norton 2003.
    I would like to see the new NOD-4
    I would like to see the new TDS-4
    People bitch about Nortons price. Have you seen whT KAv gets ? I think it is 99 bucks.

3. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Thank you 4 your answer ! It shelds light. I'm glad you say that, b'cause I also read in a book from the library that Norton was very well-known and trustable. On another forum I read that Norton can't do much with new definitions. Anyway, I keep it updated and I can imagine all anti-virus are vulnerable without updating.[[/img] ;)

Uguel707

4. root

root Registered Member

I remember McAfee antivirus before Nortons av, but I'm not going to argue, because I don't have any factual dates and its not important, since who has been around longest has nothing to do with who's best, in my humble opinion. :)
    What the best AV is can be dependant on what your other security programs are in some cases. What you want is a well rounded, layered protection from malware. Malware comes in different forms. It may be a virus, a worm, a trojan, a keylogger, and there are various types of spyware and tracking programs around.
    If you are new and you are seriously concerned for your security while using the internet and email, I suggest you look around this forum, read back a ways in some of the older posts even, and click on the links that take to to the various test sites that give some idea of how avs and ats fair against each other.
    You will find that NOD32, Kaspersky AV, DrWeb, and a few other avs are well liked and do well in comperative tests.
    For anti trojans, TDS3 usually gets pretty good approval, and many like BO Clean and Trojan Hunter. I believe some think Trojan Hunter needs to expand its signature base some more.
    There are all kinds of opinions floating around as to whats the best this and that. I like to say, I have my preferences, and if someone asks what they are, I will tell them. But most importantly, it is up to the individual to do some research and looking around, so you can make an "informed decision" as to what you want to use.
    I and a lot of other people around here will always be glad to try to answer any questions you may have. Over a period of time I have been learning not to suggest too strongly that someone should use this or that program. I used to, and not I use all different programs. :D :D

PS I forgot. I think Kaspersky has a home version for $49.95, but I'm too lazy to look right now.
    Actually, I have to go. ;)

5. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

I don't like Norton and I don't like McAfee, but when I MUST take a choise between them I suggest to take McAfee.

The reason is very simple: McAfee detects virussen in the archives ACE, ARJ, CAB, LHA, RAR, ZIP, B2, GZ, TAR, TBZ and TGZ.
    Besides that, McAfee is not so pricy as Norton.

Norton only detects virussen in the archives ARJ, CAB, LHA, ZIP, GZ, TAR and TGZ.

For the rest there is no big difference between Norton and McAfee.

6. minacross

minacross Registered Member

7. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Norton AV is good! You got it for free( sort of), so you should keep it! Norton's repairing rate is good as well! If by any chance you don't like it, then see my list of suggested products!

Suggestions(if):

KAV
    F-Prot
    Command
    F-Secure
    NOD32
    DrWeb32
    RAV

Technodrome

Technodrome

8. wizard

wizard Registered Member

That's the list. Nothing to add. ;)

wizard

9. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

As The Security Freak, I felt compelled to add my $.02 worth to Technodome's and Wizard's AV recommendations:

Amen. Nothing to add, sirs.... :)

KDCDQ, Security Freak

10. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Just a little example: follow this link and you can buy McAfee VirusScan 7.0 for $ 35,49:
    http://www.chumbo.com/info.asp?s=731944515106

edited quote tags

11. Kayrac.

Kayrac. Guest

mcafee is 59.99......although looking at the site it is now 39.99 after rebate.....what you fail to realize is that also includes a firewall.......but personally, can't stand mcafee :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.