The RIAA? Amateurs. Here's how you sue 14,000+ P2P users

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Dogbiscuit, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Article

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Let's call it what it is: EXTORTION.

"The Hobbs Act defines "extortion" as "the obtaining of property from another, with his consent, induced by wrongful use of actual or threatened force, violence, or fear, or under color of official right." 18 U.S.C. S 1951(b)(2).

(The underlined emphasis is mine.)

from the Legal Definition of Extortion

3. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Well yes thats what it is Extortion but it isn't since its an offer to settle a supposed lawsuit for a persons breaking the US copyright laws.

4. LockBox

Lots of legal questions about this. Could I setup a website to accept credit cards to settle lawsuits I file against anyone and everyone for doing X,Y or Z? I could settle for $99 or tell them how expensive the lawsuit will be (no matter the facts - you can sue anyone for anything). A lot of people would probably pay the $99 and avoid the costs of going to court. That is, until a prosecutor gets the gonads to prosecute me for extortion. The legality of this "mass settling" via website accepting credit cards for avoiding lawsuits - is very much up in the air.

5. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

See frivolous litigation, especially: "Statutes and rules of court penalizing frivolous litigation."

6. LockBox

Remember, this "U.S. Copyright Group" (legal sounding, huh?) is just a private company who talked Hurt Locker's producers into this. The whole idea has never been tested in court.

7. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Source

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.