The return of the prodigal son

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by jo3blac1, Oct 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

So I first started using SBIE back in 2005 or 2006. I used it for about 1 year or so until someone told me that it's better to use AV (Why did I listen to that guyo_O). I found this forum not too long ago but for some reason didn't want to use SBIE. Now Im back using it again and it's great! My only problem is that SBIE won't detect malware/viruses from downloaded files.
    So what other AV/AM should I use? I have a license for MBAM Pro, I was also thinking about MSE. I tried HMP but it seems that right click option to scan files is no longer available (or for some reason doesn't want to install on my system). I also had Kingsoft AV which was great in the beginning but started getting lots of problems after awhile. I would prefer one more security app not two more since my laptop has limited CPU.

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

:thumb: that's for getting back to using Sandboxie.

If you like to use an antivirus along Sandboxie, MSE works great along it. If you are in W7, you wont feel it at all. I don't use an antivirus but that's what I see in the computers of a few of my friends that are using both program's. No lag, no infections, no incompatibility, it can not be any better, IMO.

When MSE first came out, it was not compatible with SBIE. Soon afterward there was a fix and for a long, long time I haven't seen anyone complain about using both programs together. That makes MSE, a good choice to be used with SBIE.

Bo

3. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

There are so many options. My favorite free one is Microsoft Security Essentials and my favorite paid one is Webroot SecureAnywhere.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Many of us use an AV real time + MBAM on demand. In your situation using MSE and MBAM on demand would be a great combination and very light indeed. Mind you I have another machine with Sandboxie and MBAM on its own with its real time protection enabled, which is another possibility.

5. jo3blac1

So which one would you guys choose? MSE or MBAM with active protection? SBIE seems very solid but there is few loopholes such as downloading files from torrents (on rare occasions) and opening possibly compromised USB drives (quite often recently).

6. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Opening USB's will not be a loophole if you force your USB drives to open sandboxed.

Bo

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Imo, you already have a license to the solution... MBAM Pro, and be sure to enable Website Blocking.
    I am super satisfied with MBAM Pro running on my three computers, and I install it whenever I can on other people's machines as well. :)

As for HMP right click scan option not working, forgive me, but are you sure that you have this setting checked?

HMP shell integration.jpg

8. jo3blac1

Yes i did have this setting checked. I even uninstalled HMP 2x times and it still didn't work.

9. The GLoW

The GLoW Registered Member

FYI, based on what I've read on these forums over time, about a month ago I switched to MBAM Pro for all my systems and am very pleased so far.

10. lws

lws Registered Member

I am running sandboxie (pd.)with mbam pro(web protection activated) only, without an antivirus program along with firefox with noscript as my browser. I do like this combination and probably will keep "as is" until ad infinitum. :thumb:

P.S. @Page42 Thanks for the tip on hitman pro. Was wondering why the right click scan wasn't working. :thumb: :D

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  11. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I'm not sure but it seems like maybe you have some registry issue with your context menu if the right click scan is not working for HMP. Maybe someone knows of the registry entries that need removed when HMP is to be left with no traces left over? I'd make a post in the HMP thread to ask about it. Maybe there's a solution.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=236732

Personally I think you are fine with SBIE and MBAM running real time and HMP on demand. Maybe have another security app or two but that's about it IMO. If you are not able to get HMP working then maybe try Emsi free version as a second opinion scanner as it has the Emsi and Bitdefender sigs.

12. jo3blac1

Okay 3rd time was a charm. Got HMP working. I think I will leave it like this. I got MBAM and I could install MSE but HMP is probably better. I don't see much point with using MBAM active protection. SBIE already takes care of malware. I only need to scan downloaded files/USBs for malware/viruses.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

What did you do different?

14. jo3blac1

I had older version of HMP set up file which updated itself before install. I uninstalled the older version, downloaded new version from the website and reinstalled it.
    UPDATE: Okay I finally settled on MSE and SBIE. The two of them seem to work quite well. Thanks everyone for your input.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.