The "Real world" anti-trojan tools comparison

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by spy1, Jul 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. root

root Registered Member

Randy, I just stumbled across this again and thought I would add my 2 cents.
    I am somewhat knowlegable of security and malware and have tried most AVs, ATs, and Firewalls around. I also tend to follow testing at all the testing sites I am aware of. I would like to make one point about that. If I see a particular product consistantly in the upper part of the results across a wide range of testers, then I am going to think there is some merit to believing that that particular product will do a good job of detecting malware. The converse is true if I see a product consistantly coming up with poor test results. This is not the only criteria I use to select a product, but it is one. I have neither the time nor the inclination to check each and every sites testing methods and parameters.
    Another point is that if an edit server is part of a trojan and not something I am likely to have on my system unless it came with a trojan, then YES, I would want my AT to pick up on that and allow me to make the decission whether it is malware or not. To me that would just be an added way to try and detect trojans.
    I am a TDS user, but have nothing against TH, Tauscan, BO Clean, and a couple of the other ATs. It seems they all can do a pretty good job. For some, TDS is not the right choice as it is a little complicated.
    I understand some people tending to be purists.
    What I do not understand is practicing purity to the point of excluding added features that may indeed enhance the product, without taking away from its effectiveness to do its primary job.
    I am only posting this to say, I would like to see TH score well in the tests because I do think it is a great product for many people. Those many people will not choose it if it lags in too many comparison tests.

2. DrSeltsam

DrSeltsam Guest

there are a couple of tests on rokop-security.de ;o).

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I am a newbie in comparison to most ppl in this forum.I will say a few things about this topic from a newbie's perspective.When I decided to get an AT program,I looked here and read the rankings,reviews.I also surfed a lot of forums.I went with Trojan Hunter(I do like this program) because I could trial it.I liked what I read about TDS-3,but I lack the savvy and experience to truly use it the way it should be used.Boclean didn't have a trial download that I could find.Ease of use does weigh heavily in the matter for someone like myself.I also like what I see about ANTS 3.0 in this forum.The bottom line for me is this:I seek opinions from the sites like wilders.org because I learn a lot about programs from someone that knows.Tests in my opinion can be very biased.True independent tests are a good tool if you know where they are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.