The real reasons why you should NOT use Facebook

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

As simple as that: an article that gives you the REAL reasons why Facebook should not be used. Forget the media, forget the hype. Here's the real deal.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/life/facebook.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Not bad, not bad at all ;)

3. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That was a pretty good article there, and, for the most you are right. I still believe Facebook to be very dangerous for those not "privacy-aware" or who simply don't care. Even if you don't share information with other Facebook users, you are still sharing it with Zuckerberg and company, and he is the last man you want to share anything with. This guy makes Google's love of data look pathetic. But, to each their own. I do wish other websites would stop getting in with Facebook though. I don't like the fact that it's being incorporated into just about every website I use daily, especially when I have to allow Facebook scripts just to use said websites.

I know you're right, that Facebook will eventually die out, I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I've never had a Facebook account & I dare say I never will. I do like steak & kidney pie though. ;) :thumb:

6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Geez, give it a rest will ya! :mad:

My kids are special and unique and they use FB/Windows and so do I.

We have a great laugh and I enjoy their posts over there.

I don't think they enjoy my posts as they are usually about security and security warnings.

There's way worse stuff out there than Facebook!

And besides, Wifey stays off my back about being on the PC so much now that she's on Facebook non stop. :D

7. Boost

Boost Registered Member

The Evil Facebook

Ohhh my!

Yup, I gave in and joined the facebook,the evil itself of the internet.

You know what,I've had no issues,other then catchin up with people I haven't seen or heard from in years and even keep in touch with family events,etc.

Yup,like people warn about the "darker" side of the internet with trojans, keyloggers, been there did that and came back unhurt in every case.
    Now I've leaped into the facebook world and guess what I'm not worried or scared.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

In the big picture of things, having a Facebook account is not much different than promoting / maintaining your own web site or even posting regularly here on Wilders. It's a double standard to think otherwise.

No. It gives a person the opportunity to be a nerd. No disrespect intended, but running Linux does not make a person special. Unique maybe. But not in a good way, especially when a Linux user points a finger to criticize Facebook users. Running Linux isn't going to get a person laid more often, unless they have a body like Superman.

Facebook will go the way of Myspace. It already is almost there. I still remember a ways back when privacy was Facebook's selling point. Now it's hardly mentioned, except in reports of privacy exploits.

I enjoy reading most of your posts- this just isn't one of them. Although it does seem ironic, in a funny sort of way, the double standard espoused. But everyone is entitled to a dud now and then.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  9. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

I deleted my Facebook account a couple of months ago due to their privacy policies. Because of this, I eagerly anticipate the release of Diaspora as I live overseas and like to keep in contact with friends and family.

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

A while ago I decided to try FB and made a nice informative "wall". I signed on to other peoples walls as their "friend" even though half of them were relatives and existing real time friends. After I accumulated a lot of friends, I would sign on to see if anyone posted to my wall. No one with the exception of maybe two friends ever came on line and/or contributed anything. So day after day I wasted my time signing on. Then I made organizations like AARP and CNN my friend just to have something to look at when I signed on. Then I said this is BS. I can access AARP and CNN without going on FB. So, I eventually signed off of my FB account and moved on. :p

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The article exaggerates here and there, but basically I agree that Facebook is not much of a substitute for a life. An online social network can be a fun addition to doing real things with real people, but it has no life of its' own. The idea of having hundreds or thousands of "friends" who may in fact be people you have never even met is ridiculous, and the danger of being ripped off is real. Even making your real picture or date of birth generally available is a serious risk. Many people learn this the hard way via Identity Theft, etc.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  12. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Maybe Mrk is spot on .. facebook will eventually be history ..

Google Me to take on Facebook ... rumours doing the rounds.

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/columns/13662-Google-thanks.html

13. microbial

microbial Registered Member

Joined FB a couple of years back and then left about 6 months ago. Needless to say i still waste a hell of a lot of time on the net :rolleyes:

14. robertsamual

robertsamual Registered Member

I am new to this forum and I have really something to say on this topic. Using myspace or facebook or any internet base community does not affect your social life until you are not involved all the time in activities like messaging, games and other useless things. Sometimes community places are the best options to find someone who is not in touch with you for a long time. Another point why I use myspace or facebook is advertisement. Its a good source for your personal and business advertisement.

15. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Great read! Now I have to commit another sin (almost as uncool as using FB) and send this article to everyone I know... I HATE people that do that. But this is an extenuating circumstance.

I used FB for a couple months to K.I.T. with a few friends living abroad, because they were like "you HAVE to get a FB". It got old really quick. I rarely got on to check my wall so the stuff there would be outdated, like a friend saying "hey, you wanna go do (random thing) on Friday"... I'd see it next Thursday. That and some drama got started because an old g/f started stalking a girl I was talking to on there due to the "mutual friends" privacy breach. It was ridiculous... took me back to the AOL 5.0 days when people used to start "beef" in chat rooms (so hardcore). It reminded me just how stupid and childish this whole social networking stuff was. That was the last time I ever used it or will. I'll stick to the friends I have IN REAL LIFE from now on... but my kidneys are my own!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.